Component video to hdmi?

Juice it

So I replaced a receiver and in my beach family room system the components are away from the tv and run through the wall a good distance when the house was built. I find out the main line that was run from the component cabinet to the tv is a five wire component vid cable. The new receiver only has an hdmi out to the tv and there is no way I can pull this through the wall. My question is there is a powered component with audio converter to hdmi I see online and also a wireless hdmi transmitter. Will these things work or will I be losing things? Wife ain't going to let me run a fat black cable across the front of the cabinets and wall so I would like to figure out the best solution. Reading reviews of similar products are all over the place. Anyone delt with this?

Thx, jeff

You probably won't get good results taking the HDMI output of the receiver and converting to component. HDMI has copy protection built in which only allows analog cables (including component) to carry standard definition signals. Do you have any cat5e or cat6 cables run between the equipment area and the tv? There are ways to run HDMI over those cables.

When I was an installer HDMI wasn't out yet, and everything we ran was Component.. sucks that technically HD was never really the quality it needed to be, so HDMI did take over.. I don't know if there are any converters out there, but I am positive you are not the only one in this position. If you come up with a solution please post!

Yeah, I think wireless HDMI will be your best bet if there are no data cables in the wall - doing it over component cables will be too compromised in every respect..

I've heard good things about Gefen HDMI wireless in the past - check out something like: gefen

Ok, I am going to try that wireless route. I will update whe I see if it works. I don't see how it will be seemless but I don't see any other way unless I get another receiver that has a component out to tv. Thought I had all this shit covered when I had the house wired!

Ok, I am going to try that wireless route. I will update whe I see if it works. I don't see how it will be seemless but I don't see any other way unless I get another receiver that has a component out to tv. Thought I had all this shit covered when I had the house wired!

I think a receiver will downstep the hdmi into the component video.. if that is what you are already talking about sorry. however it will downgrade video quality.. component was designed for 1080i.. just not 1080p.

Unless I am reading it all wrong. It doesn't sound like you have "regular" component output, i.e. Pr Y Pb in interlace; as you had said, you have 5-wire component, Pr Y Pb H V, which actual does progressive video. There definitely are converters available that converts that to HDMI. However, like most things, every time you add something else to tye chain, it actually muddles up things even if it amplifies the signal. As HDMI is still somewhat in its infancy, most things wireless are hit & miss (usually miss). On longer hardwire lengths, it also needs boosters (which the connector should have them built in).

Perhaps I am not entirely up to speed on the entire line/brands of receivers but it seems somewhat odd that your receiver does not have component output. In worst case scenario, does you receiver have a recorder loop? I.e. one that you can connect a DVD-R or HDD to it. If so, use the output end of that loop (in component jacks) to feed your tv.

It is a denon avr e400. If you can tell me how to do it with the component video I am all ears. I read a bunch of reviews for those wireless hdmi extenders and they are all over the place. May just move this receiver to a bedroom and get a Yamaha with a powered zone 2 for the family room that has a component out. Thx for the suggestions.

^Ok, thanks for the clarification. You have a Denon E-series. Yes, those do not have any other output other than HDMI. It's a shame to see how manufacturers had cut corners these days and we now see the actual " true benefits" that manufacturers claim. Yes, ease of connection and minimizing wiring, but it also means lesser parts to be put in (meaning less costs & more profits); and HDMI is not an ideal connector by any means.

Anyway, to get component output, you will need a Denon AVR-X4000 but that's more than 2.5X the cost of the E400. For something of similar price range, try an Onkyo TX-NR525. Same price with very similar output but you definitely get component video output. You do only get 5.2 as oppose to Denon's 7.2 channels (actually, Denon claims 9.2 but only 7 gets amplified). For slight more $, you can get a TX-NR626 instead and you will then get 7.2 channels with almost identical power output. And IMO, Onkyo makes better products than Denon anyway. Btw, based on what I said earlier, I trust that you only use 3 of of the 5 wires for the component connection?

Hope this helps.

^Ok, thanks for the clarification. You have a Denon E-series. Yes, those do not have any other output other than HDMI. It's a shame to see how manufacturers had cut corners these days and we now see the actual " true benefits" that manufacturers claim. Yes, ease of connection and minimizing wiring, but it also means lesser parts to be put in (meaning less costs & more profits); and HDMI is not an ideal connector by any means.

Anyway, to get component output, you will need a Denon AVR-X4000 but that's more than 2.5X the cost of the E400. For something of similar price range, try an Onkyo TX-NR525. Same price with very similar output but you definitely get component video output. You do only get 5.2 as oppose to Denon's 7.2 channels (actually, Denon claims 9.2 but only 7 gets amplified). For slight more $, you can get a TX-NR626 instead and you will then get 7.2 channels with almost identical power output. And IMO, Onkyo makes better products than Denon anyway. Btw, based on what I said earlier, I trust that you only use 3 of of the 5 wires for the component connection?

Hope this helps.

Yes, I only use three of the 5 component wires to TV. I should have looked at this before buying it but it never occured to me that receivers would not all come with component out now. I am going to move this one to one of the bedrooms and get a new one this weekend. I need to upgrade 2 more in the house anyway and in the others it is a much smaller job to fish the HDMI wire to the monitor. Thanks for the help.

you may want to contact the cable/satellite company. ATT has a wireless HD receiver.

also, they may have another cable box that has component output. most boxes have both component and hdmi

you may want to contact the cable/satellite company. ATT has a wireless HD receiver.

also, they may have another cable box that has component output. most boxes have both component and hdmi

My cable box has it but that and the blue ray goes into the receiver before it goes to the TV. The current line from my components to the TV is just a component video and a cat5. HDMI wasn't really used I guess when we built the house. I am either moving the receiver or getting liquored up and going to start hacking up the wall to get the line through. Haven't decided yet!

The current line from my components to the TV is just a component video and a cat5.

You have a cat5 cable running from the amp to the TV?

I think a receiver will downstep the hdmi into the component video.. if that is what you are already talking about sorry. however it will downgrade video quality.. component was designed for 1080i.. just not 1080p.

I have not come across a receiver that will pass any HDMI input signal through a component output....

I have not come across a receiver that will pass any HDMI input signal through a component output....

You are not going to find this from any brand receiver. That would essentially be a video digital to analog converter and it also go against all of the copyright protection imbedded in HDMI.

________________________________________________________________________________

There is a product called a Balun. Essentially you can transmit HDMI over various types of other wire. Cat5/6 being the most popular. There are also

5 wire component video baluns that will work. I own an A/V business and I deal with this stuff everyday.

The wireless HDMI parts work also but typically are only good for one source. Also, wireless = no guarantees! You can't control interference.

If you plan to connect any additional sources, dvd, apple TV, video games etc, the balun route is significantly more cost effective and it will work giving you this expansion. Utilizing the new receiver's HDMI switching to the transmitting balun through the existing wire to the receiving balun to your tv.

Let me know if you need more info or help.

Pete

What a pain in the ass this ordeal was. So I pulled out the new Denon to move to my bedroom and bought a yamaha that had both component and HDMI out so it would work in my set up. Hooked it all up and found out all the onscreen menu shit doesn't work with component video connection, only hdmi. At this point I was fuming, went and got a bunch of hole saw bits and extensions and drilled like 12 holes through the back of cabinets etc and got an HDMI line ran to the tv. Took the yamaha back, bought another denon so my wife wouldn't have to learn two new receivers and am waiting for my harmony ultimate remote today so I can have something new to have problems with! :icon_thumleft:

What a pain in the ass this ordeal was. So I pulled out the new Denon to move to my bedroom and bought a yamaha that had both component and HDMI out so it would work in my set up. Hooked it all up and found out all the onscreen menu shit doesn't work with component video connection, only hdmi. At this point I was fuming, went and got a bunch of hole saw bits and extensions and drilled like 12 holes through the back of cabinets etc and got an HDMI line ran to the tv. Took the yamaha back, bought another denon so my wife wouldn't have to learn two new receivers and am waiting for my harmony ultimate remote today so I can have something new to have problems with! :icon_thumleft:

Welcome to my world :icon_mrgreen: