Do you have any Dental Health related Questions?

ToofDoc

Thanks! I owe you big time. Hopefully this goes away. It's definitely pretty inflamed right now and I can feel the broken gum with my tongue...so weird. It's also kind of making my throat hurt, but we'll see if it goes away soon. I'm hoping it does! Any tricks to keep it from getting infected? I've just been drinking a lot of water and swishing some mouthwash in that area. I also heard to gargle salt water. Thanks again!

An antibiotic prescription can help reduce swelling. Call your dentist and let him/her know your "gums around your wisdom tooth is inflamed!"

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was priceless! This was not my patient, but now I'm looking for Thunder Cats in my patients mouths!

Thanks brother. We've scheduled an appointment for the 14th with the oral surgeon. It's going to feel like a lifetime waiting to find out more.

How did it go?

How did it go?

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

We spent over 3 hours at the oral surgeons taking X-rays and 3d images.

Mason was a champ the whole time and sat so still and really made it easy for the techs to get good clear shots.

Bad news: It's far more complicated inside then I think any of us were expecting.

The primary molar that never broke through the gum to come down has almost turned sideways. The permanent tooth above that is lodged higher and impacting the lower primary.. The roots have pushed against the nasal cavity above and sort of mushroomed out. There is also possibly up to two mis-formed teeth that are to the side that have mixed and are causing a mass to form.

Good news: the oral surgeon said he had seen similar Odontoma in kids his age before and he seemed very comfortable and familiar with it.

He said he could do the surgical procedure in his office but he would prefer a hospital because then he doesn't have to do both jobs of the surgery and anesthesia and can focus on the surgery 100%.

The plan of attack is to remove the primary molar that never descended, then trying to physically pull down the above permanent tooth to put it in position that several years from now it may still come in naturally. He'll remove the mass of tooth but he said he has no worries whatsoever that its cancerous.

All in all I feel good about what we have planned, but I'm still quite sick about having my 4 year old go under.

Surgery is schedule at the hospital for the 29th.

Wish us luck!

They are also sending me the 3D picture... Ill post it, it's something to see...

Very glad to hear it's not cancer.

Sorry you all have to go through this. It must be traumatic.

Sounds like you found a great surgeon with whom you are comfortable. That's a big deal. Also sounds like he has lots of experience which is really important.

Wishing you all the best!!!

Keeping you guys in our prayers. While serious I am glad the surgeon is confident in his abilities to deal quickly with this matter. Please keep us posted and continue to try and relax. Sounds like the little guy will be in great hands.

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

We spent over 3 hours at the oral surgeons taking X-rays and 3d images.

Mason was a champ the whole time and sat so still and really made it easy for the techs to get good clear shots.

Bad news: It's far more complicated inside then I think any of us were expecting.

The primary molar that never broke through the gum to come down has almost turned sideways. The permanent tooth above that is lodged higher and impacting the lower primary.. The roots have pushed against the nasal cavity above and sort of mushroomed out. There is also possibly up to two mis-formed teeth that are to the side that have mixed and are causing a mass to form.

Good news: the oral surgeon said he had seen similar Odontoma in kids his age before and he seemed very comfortable and familiar with it.

He said he could do the surgical procedure in his office but he would prefer a hospital because then he doesn't have to do both jobs of the surgery and anesthesia and can focus on the surgery 100%.

The plan of attack is to remove the primary molar that never descended, then trying to physically pull down the above permanent tooth to put it in position that several years from now it may still come in naturally. He'll remove the mass of tooth but he said he has no worries whatsoever that its cancerous.

All in all I feel good about what we have planned, but I'm still quite sick about having my 4 year old go under.

Surgery is schedule at the hospital for the 29th.

Wish us luck!

They are also sending me the 3D picture... Ill post it, it's something to see...

Awesome! Sounds like you're in great company!

Another thing to add is oral cavity heals tremendously so your boy will do very well with these surgeries. Keep us updated.

Awesome! Sounds like you're in great company!

Another thing to add is oral cavity heals tremendously so your boy will do very well with these surgeries. Keep us updated.

:iamwithstupid:

Definitely have your teeth removed first, then braces.

Alright, cool, thanks.

Robster: All the best, glad to hear that they are able to treat it.