Do you have any Dental Health related Questions?

ToofDoc

Awesome. I will get the zoom done next time I'm in the US. Is there a point in doing it multiple times? If so at what interval? Or is it a one shot thing where you do it and that's as good as your teeth will get from that treatment?

Patients has repeated the procedure but in yearly intervals. Again no harm to teeth or gum tissues.

To prevent that, that's why provide the whitening tray for my ZOOM patients. Not all dentist do this.

Zoom whitening, there's no settings where a dentist can adjust how white you get. The ZOOM lamp will get you as white as possible, what your teeth is capable.

How is it that everyone on TV including shows with "average" people such as property virgins, international house buyers all have blinding white teeth?

My wife and I had the both has zoom done at our dentist office and while it was an improvement, it certainly wasn't TV white. or does everyone on TV have veneers?

Yes, a lot of them have porcelain veneers or crowns (TV news, movie stars, etc)

Do they apply them over they healthy teeth just for cosmetic reasons?

Yes they do. I destroy healthy teeth monthly due to cosmetic procedures! All goods and bads gone over, patients want a WHITE smile. 90% of the time, we do ZOOM first then new all-porcelain crowns or veneers to match the new whiteness. If zoom whiteness isn't white enough, then patients wants porcelain!

Soon I'll be pushing Carbon Fiber!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a dumb question, but do you recommend going into dentistry as a profession? I hope so because I'm going to try and steer my kids away from the practice of law and I'm hoping they will consider, among many other careers, dental school when the time comes. (I'm still kicking myself for not considering dental school!)

This may be a dumb question, but do you recommend going into dentistry as a profession? I hope so because I'm going to try and steer my kids away from the practice of law and I'm hoping they will consider, among many other careers, dental school when the time comes. (I'm still kicking myself for not considering dental school!)

Shouldn't they pick a field of study based on what they are passionate about rather than what has the biggest potential payout?

This thread isn't good for my dentophobia :crybaby2: ... my dentist always tells me 'it is great to see you' every six months, but I tell him I don't feel the same way :icon_mrgreen:

EDIT: What is the status of regrowing teeth? e.g. pulling a bad tooth and regrowing a new one in it's place.

What are your thoughts on this which seems to be making its rounds around the internet lately:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...aled-teeth.aspx

Interesting.

All I know is that the material Dentistry uses for root canal procedures are safe and been around for centuries. If it was dangerous, then American Dental Association (ADA) and FDA would've been all over it.

You can apply this article with anything. One can say, all terminally ill cancer patients had McDonald's at least once in their life or all terminally ill cancer patients all had a chest xray!

If you need a root canal to save your tooth AND you want to save your tooth. DO THE ROOT CANAL! Root canal therapy procedure is safe.

Definitely not a dumb question, both great professions, but of course I'm partial to Dentistry. Dentistry is NOT for everyone. You need certain personality for this profession. You can't be sensitive and have to have a sense of humor. If you're a type of person allow words to get into your head, then Dentistry is not a profession for you. If you go into Dentistry just for the money, then I also wouldn't recommend it. Money is good, but not that great! Not many dentists drive Lambos! On average, a dental student graduates with $200K in student loan debt!

99.9% of the patients comes in tell you how much they hate you and don't want to see you and you deal with dirty bacteria filled mouths ALL day!

The good:

Great family profession (no on call schedule like physicians)

Decent pay

Respected by the community and other professionals

Change lives daily by helping others

You're your own boss

You may end up owning ONE Lambo

The bad:

Expensive schooling (if you get into a dental school)

Patients hate coming to you

Rarely you'll ever become a Billionaire and own TWO Lambos

Encourage your kids to do what they like, but definitely look into Dentistry

This thread isn't good for my dentophobia :crybaby2: ... my dentist always tells me 'it is great to see you' every six months, but I tell him I don't feel the same way :icon_mrgreen:

EDIT: What is the status of regrowing teeth? e.g. pulling a bad tooth and regrowing a new one in it's place.

You should feel lucky that I don't start posting pictures of some nasty stuff then!!

Researchers and scientists been trying to regrow teeth (enamel) for decades now. Although had been successful on a petri dish, no research have advanced into human trials yet! I wouldn't count on it during our life time!

2 years ago I did a complete set of veneers. I had the worst smile in the world, and I love to smile. My parents couldn't afford braces when I was a kid, my teeth were horrible.

I LOVE MY TEETH NOW!

2 years ago I did a complete set of veneers. I had the worst smile in the world, and I love to smile. My parents couldn't afford braces when I was a kid, my teeth were horrible.

I LOVE MY TEETH NOW!

Pictures or it didn't happen!! :icon_mrgreen:

Just kidding! Great to hear you had a great result and a positive experience!! :icon_thumleft:

Ive had both sets(top and bottom) of my wisdom teeth out. First set was before they really needed too. Really no major issues. Dont know what the fuss about having them out was all about. Second set were bugging the shit out of me, so took my dentist's advice and had them out. That time I was in and out in less than an hour(check in, knock me out, recovery, pay, leave).

My mom now works for the dentist office we have all went to for many years. They love her there, Im happy for her.

Great thread.

*sheepishly types*

When I was a kid, I fell face first on ice and broke my front tooth, which was replaced with a crown and post. It was quite a traumatic event for me, and my hair still raises when my spoon/fork touches my teeth. Suffice to say, the dentist is not my friend regardless of how smooth the procedure is. I had the crown replaced a 3 years ago as the original color was a bit duller than my teeth now.

My question:

I've always been scared to have my teeth whitened as a result of the above.

Is there any light you can shed on possible alternatives? My concern lies with the thought of the rest of my teeth whitening, while the crowned tooth stays the same colour, leaving me with a goofy looking smile.

Thank you in advance!

Shouldn't they pick a field of study based on what they are passionate about rather than what has the biggest potential payout?

Of Course! I just want to make sure they think in the broadest possible terms and about many types of professions/careers and so I like to hear from all different types of people about their chosen field and whether or not they consider it a good profession to get into.

Definitely not a dumb question, both great professions, but of course I'm partial to Dentistry. Dentistry is NOT for everyone. You need certain personality for this profession. You can't be sensitive and have to have a sense of humor. If you're a type of person allow words to get into your head, then Dentistry is not a profession for you. If you go into Dentistry just for the money, then I also wouldn't recommend it. Money is good, but not that great! Not many dentists drive Lambos! On average, a dental student graduates with $200K in student loan debt!

99.9% of the patients comes in tell you how much they hate you and don't want to see you and you deal with dirty bacteria filled mouths ALL day!

The good:

Great family profession (no on call schedule like physicians)

Decent pay

Respected by the community and other professionals

Change lives daily by helping others

You're your own boss

You may end up owning ONE Lambo

The bad:

Expensive schooling (if you get into a dental school)

Patients hate coming to you

Rarely you'll ever become a Billionaire and own TWO Lambos

Encourage your kids to do what they like, but definitely look into Dentistry

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Glad to hear you enjoy what you do and that you have been successful doing it!

My question:

I've always been scared to have my teeth whitened as a result of the above.

Is there any light you can shed on possible alternatives? My concern lies with the thought of the rest of my teeth whitening, while the crowned tooth stays the same colour, leaving me with a goofy looking smile.

Thank you in advance!

That has always been a concern for my patients with existng crowns as well! My best advise for you is to meet with a great cosmetic dentist that have worked with ample these types of procedure for a thorough consult.

Without seeing you in person, of course I can't provide you a definite direction. But If I was your dentist, I tell you zoom your teeth first and then if your whitening results turned out to be whiter than your existing crown, then we need to replace it (again)! Unfortunately there's no other way around it to achieve the best cosmetic result!

Never had a cavity. Get the toofs cleansed ever 6 months. How awful are cigars?

Great oral health patients, still I recommend an oral cancer screening once a year.

Cigars has more nicotine than cigarettes.

When I was about 20yo (48 now), I experienced an event with a tooth that made my whole face swell. From what I remember, this tooth was causing a lot of pain. I had to have a procedure called an apicoectomy (sp?) & it was on one of my two front teeth. Since that time, over the past 28yrs, that tooth has always been a little darker that the other/s (not terribly, but somewhat) I have tried tray bleaching, but that tooth would never get as white as the others. I am considering getting veneers. Could that tooth cause issues if I have veneers ? How expensive to get veneers (full grille) ? Any great dentists you would recommend in GA (Atl or northwards) ? Thanks !

Great oral health patients, still I recommend an oral cancer screening once a year.

Cigars has more nicotine than cigarettes.

Nicotine doesn't hurt anything but I am scared of damaging my teeth. Obviously wary if cancer which scares the shit out of me. I love cigars but not more than my family that I need to stay alive for.

When I was about 20yo (48 now), I experienced an event with a tooth that made my whole face swell. From what I remember, this tooth was causing a lot of pain. I had to have a procedure called an apicoectomy (sp?) & it was on one of my two front teeth. Since that time, over the past 28yrs, that tooth has always been a little darker that the other/s (not terribly, but somewhat) I have tried tray bleaching, but that tooth would never get as white as the others. I am considering getting veneers. Could that tooth cause issues if I have veneers ? How expensive to get veneers (full grille) ? Any great dentists you would recommend in GA (Atl or northwards) ? Thanks !

Apicoectomy tooth, just like a root camel therapied tooth, it dies. When the tooth dies, it turns darker (usually greyish brown) & brittle. Whitening that tooth will not work. I recommend an all porcelain crown versus a veneer.

A veneer only covers front side of the tooth like a fake finger nail. A crown protects the entire tooth 360 degree all the way around. All dead tooth, dentists recommends a full crown and not veneers.

There are a lot of amazing dentists in ATL, I recommend you look for a dentist that belongs in the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentusts (AACD) organization. Search for a dentist from AACD's website.

Nicotine doesn't hurt anything but I am scared of damaging my teeth. Obviously wary if cancer which scares the shit out of me. I love cigars but not more than my family that I need to stay alive for.

Nicotine in cigars will not cause damage in your teeth, but will promote cancer in your oral soft tissue (gums, tongue, palate, throat, floor of mouth, & mucosa).

Ok, I have one. We just switched our dentist. Im a chiropractor and I thought it would be nice to support someone in our commercial building. I totally understand being proactive, but he took 14 xrays on my wife and said she has "5 or 6 cavities". That seemed odd. The number wasnt exact. You probably heard this before, but she hasnt had cavities in years, and has had 3 kids in the past 4 years. I may have a crappy picture of the problem area I can scan, so you can see.

I later found out that a friend of mine went to him growing up and she has been told she has "horrible teeth". Furthermore, her 4 year old had 10 cavities and a crown in 1 setting! I cant tell if these are all coincidental or if he wants people to have bad teeth.

What is your experience? Say there is a problem, how proactive should you be? Isnt there a point where drilling a "possible" cavity on xray may be more detrimental to long term tooth health?

If she does indeed has 6 cavities....we will get them fixed.