Sold Item and Buyer Hasn't Picked Up!

Boner

Ok, Here is what happened. I sold a pinball machine on ebay about 100 days ago. I think it was for $1200. Buyer pays me instantly. I marked the auction as local pickup only. I also said that any shipping must be arranged and paid by the buyer.... and they MUST use North America Van Lines. I said this because I have used them many times, and they blanket wrap them so they dont need to pallet them up.

Anyway...he told me he was arranging shipping the day after the auction. Didnt hear from him again for 60 days! He then said he was still looking for shipping because North America doesnt ship them anymore. Well, that email was 40 days ago. It was also a lie because I have shipped several using them since that time. One lady took 30 minutes to arrange it!

What would you do? Im not going out of my way to help him at this point. I have it in a commercial space that I am signing a lease on today, so I will need to move it for him AGAIN. Its a 300 pound wide body!

At this time, it has been so long that he cannot protest the payment with paypal. I dont believe he can leave me bad feedback. Would you refund the money? Would you just be "more patient"? Would you say f-it?

I myself would be patient and give him another reminder to please do something as you now need to move it on your time and expense.

Then remind him that he needs to work with you and pick the item up as if he does not you may need to start charging him a storage fee.

i dont know where you live but in NY there is a 90 abandon clause. I would send one more email stating if not picked up in 48 hours that you will be placing it at the curb for trash pick up

Contact again and mention storage fees if this keeps up. On future auctions list a maximum stay time before the item is relisted with you keeping the money.

As someone who buys and sells a lot on ebay, you don't technically have to do anything I believe. He can't file a claim after 90 days (or 60 maybe?) and if he leaves you negative feedback, it's very easy to get it erased.

If you feel like being a good guy, refund him and relist it. If you don't care....just list it again and put free shipping and use the $1200 to pay the shipping

sell it again, when the first guy contacts you refund his money minus your additional costs (restocking fee) or the difference in price if you sell it for less, if he doesn't contact you for 12 moths donate that money to a charity of your choice, everyone wins, his win will be in the life lesson learned :icon_thumleft:

sell it again, when the first guy contacts you refund his money minus your additional costs (restocking fee) or the difference in price if you sell it for less, if he doesn't contact you for 12 moths donate that money to a charity of your choice, everyone wins, his win will be in the life lesson learned :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid:

or just play pinball.. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with Fortis. I'd also give the guy a call or email to let him know that you are going to relist it if he doesn't get it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here is an update. I looked at his ebay history and he has bought about 100 items since he purchased my machine! I guarantee he has had plenty of time to get this thing shipped! I sent him a message today. Here it is. Do you think this is unreasonable?

"Hello! You mentioned that you could not ship the pinball machine with NAVL when the auction ended 5 months ago. I have shipped many pinball machines with NAVL since that time. So, I am not sure what the issue was with them. Also, I have not heard anything else from you, or any other shippers about picking it up.

Unfortunately, the space it occupies was leased this week, and the tenant takes occupancy next friday (2/21/2014). I dont have another place to put the pinball machine. If the machine is not picked up by then, I will have to pay to put it in a storage unit.

Most people who have used NAVL have arranged the shipping within 2-3 hours of buying the machine. So, I know the shipment can be arranged quickly. The truck driver that does my route will be here 2 times by next friday. He is usually in the area every thursday.

I am not trying to be rude. I have been reasonable about storing it for 5 months, and now the location it sits in will not be available after 2/21/2014. Thanks for understanding the urgency, ME"