Easy888

Thinking about picking up a 1996 (pre variocam) 993 6-speed C2 coupe.

Anyone have any opinions or advice?

I'm starting to find myself amongst those whom gravitate towards the older cars.

Thinking about picking up a 1996 (pre variocam) 993 6-speed C2 coupe.

Anyone have any opinions or advice?

I'm starting to find myself amongst those whom gravitate towards the older cars.

Varioram, not variocam and non varioram was on 1995 only.

I have been looking for a 993.

Some things I have learned ...

It seems the door straps are a problem and you have to cut into the A-pillar frame to fix:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-...rap-repair.html

Most cars with ~60k miles nead a ~$10k top-end rebuild to replace worn valve guides that cause carbon build up. (I think this is a correct statement).

Here are some links to 'buyers guides:

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/993_buy_guide.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-...yers-guide.html

http://blog.caranddriver.com/1995-98-porsc...-econo-exotics/

Varioram, not variocam and non varioram was on 1995 only.

Argh...damn iPhone autocorrect. Typed in Varioram and it changed it on me.

Strangely enough I thought too the 96s had it but the seller mentioned that the car didn't? I'll dig deeper.

Most cars with ~60k miles nead a ~$10k top-end rebuild to replace worn valve guides that cause carbon build up. (I think this is a correct statement).

I've heard the same as well and was told that especially being in CA this rebuild was necessary to pass smog.

Thanks for the links. Will look into it.

I've never had the a pillar strap problem with a 993, only older 911's. There is a trick to fixing them, I just don't remember what it was.

Congrats on your new purchase. I recently rode in a 993 6spd Gemballa edition and it was one of the most enjoyable car experiences I've had. Sounds great, looks great, and is quicker than I anticipated!

I had a 95 and it was a great car. Had it for 4 years (my dad owned it for 4 before me) and neither of us ever had an issue with it.

It was bullet proof. Won concour's with it, took it to many different tracks across the US, did some decent mods to it and regretfully sold it to buy a GT3 (which was a great car as well). Get some good coil overs, RS Sways, Cat Bypass (Sounded better than any car I've ever owned), some decent/light 18" wheels on some good rubber and you're set. Good luck and post up some pics when you get it!

Took an extra week.

Here she is...a little motivation for your search. I wanted a wild color but they are non-existent.

one of the ultimates 993 Turbo :D

congratulations, enjoy it in good health :D

Took an extra week.

Here she is...a little motivation for your search. I wanted a wild color but they are non-existent.

Nice! 96 or 97?

Gorgeous, congrats! I was looking at a beautiful dark red 996 4S today and still blown away at how small they are by modern standards (very small even next to the 996 Turbo behind it).