Streaming media to TV

StoleIt

I got fed up with my cable bill getting higher and higher so I cancelled the damn thing. I have a ton of...um..acquired digital media that I normally will either just watch straight off my laptop or hook it up to my TV via HDMI when the occasion calls for it.

I have a desktop that is plenty powerful that I was thinking I could run as a media server. What does everyone use? So far I've been told Roku with a Plex server is pretty money.

Thoughts?

I've used my Xbox 360 for years to do it. However I've been thinking about getting an Apple Tv 2 and jailbraking it to run on XBMC.

I used my Xbox 360 exclusively for years, but its not ideal for it, so got a WDTV live amp, and its the best $100 gadget I've ever purchased. Its not without its hicups, but for the most part its the best all around solution I've seen for the price.

I used my Xbox 360 exclusively for years, but its not ideal for it, so got a WDTV live amp, and its the best $100 gadget I've ever purchased. Its not without its hicups, but for the most part its the best all around solution I've seen for the price.

I used my Xbox 360 exclusively for years, but its not ideal for it, so got a WDTV live smp, and its the best $100 gadget I've ever purchased. Its not without its hicups, but for the most part its the best all around solution I've seen for the price.

Right now I have my tv wirelessly networked throug a wd world drive with a ton of media. TV UI does everything else and it works pretty well, but it's all in your cataloging.

Other than that we have netflix and amazon prime. I've been looking at the roku and such but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

I have a Roku 3 box. I havent done the Plex stuff, but I know people who have and it does work really well. I like it.