UGR Stage 3 Review

Cincy2

I would like to share my driving impressions from my first few weeks of owning a Stage 3 TT from UGR. Before I get to the details, some background. Stay with me, it will be worth it:

When I was a young man I had the honor to serve as a Naval Officer. I was a member of the Surface Warfare community serving about a cruiser and a destroyer. As you may know, the Navy is comprised of several different branches. One of those is aviation. We ship drivers had a healthy rivalry with the fighter pilots. We spent a lot of time at the Officer's Club discussing their multi-species sexual preferences and recounting the familiarity their wives, mothers and daughters had with multiple platoons of Marine Corp infantrymen. While the rivalry was robust, underneath it all we had a lot of respect for the guys who strap their butts to 35,000 pounds of thrust, fight for their lives at Mach 2 and then put that beast they fly onto a rolling deck in the dead of night with no lights. We called these hero's NAFOD's. No Apparent Fear of Death.

Some of the members on this forum remind me of those boys. Strapping into a 1800 HP sled with your butt a few inches off the ground, with only a few square inches of rubber in contact with the ground and hurtling down a runway at 200 plus miles per hour. N-A-F-O-D.

If you are so inclined, this review will be of little interest to you. If you are an owner of a stock LP-560 and are thinking of a TT upgrade, and you are a normal, non adrenaline junkie, what I have to say may be of value to you.

First, the answer to the question Why 1000 horsepower? My Lambo has the exquisite looks that no other sports car today under $1,000,000 has. Enhancing it with extreme horsepower to match the extreme looks seems natural to me. My wife, not so much. The fact is, we have a duty to keep the club exclusive and not let the MOPAR boys get the upper hand.

Aside from the show car respect, the UGR version of the TT has all the variability you need to satisfy your horsepower lust but still act and drive responsibly when you need to. The boost can be turned off completely. The boost is controllable both in ultimate horsepower and by gear to give it to you where you want it. In my case that was 4th, 5th and 6th gear for short but thrilling pulls on open stretches of interstate. These features give you the best of all worlds. Daily driver like civility and open throated havoc if you so desire.

The car I got back is definitely different than the one I sent. You must buy into the fact that the noise level is going to rise, the engine without boost, engaging through a bullet proof clutch will be a little rougher. It matters not. Given the beastly levels of rage the car can exude, these minor adjustments are inconsequential. The extra weight on the tail alters the handling in the twisties. It's not bad, just different. Be aware.

The thrust. What can you say about the thrust? The only thing I can compare it to is the take-off roll of a jet trainer ride I took as a midshipmen. Incessant, savage but still controllable. The most fun you can have in three seconds with your pants on. You guys, not me.

I am breaking the car in carefully. They have been no temperature issues (summer in south Florida), no leaks, no creaks. The quality of hoses, clamps, wires etc lives up to the Lamborghini standards. No issues with aesthetic appeal or function.

This car came back to me cleaner and shinier than when I sent it. I am a fanatic detailer. No small feat for UGR. If they sweat this detail, I'm confident the rest of the engineering was done thoroughly.

Bottom line. This is my exit car. Will never need another. If a pony car comes out with 1000 HP, I still have room to grow. To all you NAFOD's, enjoy the half miles. I'm happy with my short pulls and my plans to live to a ripe old age.

Here is the link to the build pics: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71206

Cincy

Glad to hear you're loving it ... Not surprised Though ...

Here's my post from Feb 25, 2014:

Cincy,

Welcome to the forum ... If you're a car guy ... You just hit the jackpot ... We've got a great group here ...

However, I have some news for you ... We just heard the distinctive sound of bait hitting the water ...

Let me explain ..

Kisco and DuHawks must be having trouble keeping straight faces, after reading your first post.

It seems everyone that says a bolt-on should be plenty fast enough, ends up with a Stage 3 (or higher) ...

So considering you have a 2009 G ... Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new Stage 3 ...

As long as you're at it ... Get the race heads, Motec boost by gear, quick shift upgrade, etc ...

If I've missed anything Kevin at UGR will see that you're set up with all the latest hardware ...

I know you're saying no really ... I'm over 60 ... A Stage 1 will solve my problem for good (Really ...)

Remember you heard here first ... Welcome again, it's gonna be a real hoot!!!

As long as you're at it ... Get the race heads, Motec boost by gear, quick shift upgrade, etc ...

LOL. I didn't get the race heads thereby demonstrating my remarkable restraint.

Cincy

:iamwithstupid: I've never wished I had more power, but then maybe I hang with a different crowd than Fadi and duhawks and some of these other guys. :icon_mrgreen:

Cincy, congrats on the build!

I was talking to Fadi yesterday.... We were like wow total over kill to have this much power LMAO... But I will tell you it is freaking awesome. I have my lowest setting which makes 1150 on pump and it is just a joy. The next setting is 1500, then 1700, then 1800+ To go from 1150 to those higher settings is just insane. Every time I do a pull on the higher setting I giggle and let out a silent, fuuuuhhhhhckkk after the pull after I see how far away people are.

I am ruined for life!!! If you don't have anyone to race a stage is plenty of power!!! Hell you will beat 99.9% of the cars out there with a stage 3 on pump gas. I just carry 1800 because I have a big target on me lol

Congrats! A stage 3 IMO is more than enough to satisfy your needs. It takes a special kind of person to desire more power than a stage 3. A crazy person with a little bit of a chemical imbalance.....like Dustin. :D

Congrats! A stage 3 IMO is more than enough to satisfy your needs. It takes a special kind of person to desire more power than a stage 3. A crazy person with a little bit of a chemical imbalance.....like Dustin. :D

Kind of fun to boost 1600 hp on bald tires. It's like a forward drift at a very incredible high rate of acceleration. It floats around a bit. Lol it spun so hard at 120 that the tpms started blinking on my dash.

I shed a tear as my gas gauge dropped below half a tank today on race gas :(

Nice writeup, glad you are loving your new build! Stage 3 is plenty for the street and normal use.

Exactly this!

Congrats Cincy!!

I have a LP570 manual 6-speed and Love every minute of my Stage 3 build

Congrats Cincy! :icon_super: Sounds like one helluva thrill!

We spent a lot of time at the Officer's Club discussing their multi-species sexual preferences and recounting the familiarity their wives, mothers and daughters had with multiple platoons of Marine Corp infantrymen.

I LOL'd. Hard. You my friend, have a way with words. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

great write up Cincy, very entertaining :P ! I have had the pleasure/privileged of driving a stage 3 UGR 560 for a somewhat extended period of time, and must say that it was hands down one of the coolest experiences of my life! I also don't know how these guys could want "more"! Explaining the driving experience to people was hard... I settled on "imagine taking the fastest roller coaster you have ever been on off the tracks, adding a steering wheel, and putting it on a highway... you point it straight and hold on tight" was the closest comparison I could come up with.

Enjoy her in the best of health! It sounds like you have a healthy respect for the power, so I am sure you will be fine!

Enjoy her in the best of health! It sounds like you have a healthy respect for the power, so I am sure you will be fine!

Thanks. There are OLD Twin Turbo drivers and there are BOLD Twin Turbo drivers. There are no OLD, BOLD TT drivers.

Cincy