Speeding ticket defense

djantlive

A group of us drove to Monterey today for the car week. We were driving 70mph but pulled over by a bunch of CHP officers for 80mph.

What are some defenses for speeding ticket?

One cop did all the clocking with a lidar (laser). He said he clocked us individually from an overpass. We were cited for different speeds around 80 except one guy got only a 70 for some reason.

Possible defense:

1. Can a single officer reasonably clock 5 cars accurately and identify each car over the radio to another officer to pull us over?

2. We were all going at the same speed. Why one guy was cited for 70? Is there reasonable doubt that chp may not know my vehicle speed?

3. I was not running any plates. How was I identified by chp between the officer that clocked me and the officer that pulled me over? Is there reasonable doubt that I was pulled over because I was in a group of sports cars?

What other defense has worked? I know our group was singled out because we were not speeding and going at same speed

In cases like these I find it easier to get the ticket deferred instead of fighting it. When you do this you simply pay the fine and the court dismisses the ticket within a few weeks. It never shows up on your record and has no effect on insurance premiums or your license. At the end of the day they just want money.

In cases like these I find it easier to get the ticket deferred instead of fighting it. When you do this you simply pay the fine and the court dismisses the ticket within a few weeks. It never shows up on your record and has no effect on insurance premiums or your license. At the end of the day they just want money.

Please elaborate...

Djantlive was this in King County by any chance?

Please elaborate...

Djantlive was this in King County by any chance?

I believe he's talking about pleading it down to an equipment ticket. County gets the same $, just no points on license.

If it's 15 over then you should be eligible for traffic school online. That would be the easiest plan of action.

You can try the ole deferral, then written declaration then de novo trick but if you live far from that jurisdiction it's risky.

You could get a ticket lawyer but it would probably cost you more than fine plus driving school.

this is in santa cruz on hwy1

purpose of the deferral is so that maybe the officer leaves or no longer recall the specifics right? any other reason to defer?

i can do traffic school and pay fines. however, i am certain that i was not speeding. i saw the cops 1/2 mile away citing other vehicles and my speedo was reading 70 (in a 65 zone). my friends driving with me all did the same. we were just shocked we were actually ticketed. we didn't put up a fight because we thought we were getting no front plate fix-it tickets lol

You had no plates or no front plates?

Yes sir! It was a tuner shop "plate" in the back.

I am getting a go pro vid of the group driving at same speed. Since one of us was ticketed at 70, i can use that as a defense since differences in speed clocked raises doubts about accuracy of lidar claims.

Do you think I have a case worth going to court? Seeking objective opinion here.

I would have paid the fine and do school if I actually was speeding. Just don't think I should let it slide easy without a fight.

Yes sir! It was a tuner shop "plate" in the back.

I am getting a go pro vid of the group driving at same speed. Since one of us was ticketed at 70, i can use that as a defense since differences in speed clocked raises doubts about accuracy of lidar claims.

Do you think I have a case worth going to court? Seeking objective opinion here.

I would have paid the fine and do school if I actually was speeding. Just don't think I should let it slide easy without a fight.

How much is your time worth? How much is your ticket/insurance premiums going to change? If there is no change to insurance and no points scratch the check and be done. If you are going to end up with points and an increase in insurance go to court and at least try and get the points thrown out. Traffic courts don't really like to listen to reason...they just want their money.

How much is your time worth? How much is your ticket/insurance premiums going to change? If there is no change to insurance and no points scratch the check and be done. If you are going to end up with points and an increase in insurance go to court and at least try and get the points thrown out. Traffic courts don't really like to listen to reason...they just want their money.

It sucks but sometimes I chock it up to running costs of driving an exotic.

It sucks but sometimes I chock it up to running costs of driving an exotic.

That's exactly what is....time is worth more than money. Pay and move on. It's a tax, nothing more. Counties are trying subsidize deficits. Try driving the 395 to Mammoth, you could get cancer from all the radar.

I usually get to court a half hour early, walk up and talk politely to the clerk or prosecutor. Tell them you are willing to pay the fine but want to know if they could change it to a seat belt violation or another non moving violation. Every time I've done it they act surprised,"You want to pay today?" The majority of people there are asking for continuances, making partial payments, or taking up the courts time by pleading not guilty to things that they most likely will end up found guilty of (Driving under suspension, DUI, basically things a lot worse than what you are there for). It's worked every time so far. They've even cut the fine in half before. By taking care of it without the judge being involved you often aren't assessed court costs and you are in and out in about a half hour. I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods but with a last name near the end of the alphabet it usually takes a couple hours of waiting just to get through the docket and plead one way or the other. Then you have a whole other day wasted when the case is tried. Best to get out of it with the least amount of time involved and without any lasting repercussions on your insurance or driving record.

I have tried this same thing over the phone and it has never worked, but it may be worth a try. It could vary by state.

I usually get to court a half hour early, walk up and talk politely to the clerk or prosecutor. Tell them you are willing to pay the fine but want to know if they could change it to a seat belt violation or another non moving violation. Every time I've done it they act surprised,"You want to pay today?" The majority of people there are asking for continuances, making partial payments, or taking up the courts time by pleading not guilty to things that they most likely will end up found guilty of (Driving under suspension, DUI, basically things a lot worse than what you are there for). It's worked every time so far. They've even cut the fine in half before. By taking care of it without the judge being involved you often aren't assessed court costs and you are in and out in about a half hour. I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods but with a last name near the end of the alphabet it usually takes a couple hours of waiting just to get through the docket and plead one way or the other. Then you have a whole other day wasted when the case is tried. Best to get out of it with the least amount of time involved and without any lasting repercussions on your insurance or driving record.

I have tried this same thing over the phone and it has never worked, but it may be worth a try. It could vary by state.

The one time I was facing a 6 point ticket this technique worked for me too. Just had to have a lawyer do the talking for me, it is 6 points after all. He told me all he said is, he's not worried about the dollar amount he just doesnt want the 6 points. So they reduced it to 1 or 2, I cant remember I paid the fine, this lawyer has been good to me so for 30 minutes of his time he only charged me 150.

There are a few law firms here in SoCal who charge you $100 to fight your ticket, if they cant beat your ticket you get the money back. You might want to find if there is one up in that area. I have used one in the past and it has helped me out.

The blackvue cameras have speed sensors built in, if you truely werent speeding the vid might get you off. I have them in all of my cars.

Best of luck

1144890[/url]']

There are a few law firms here in SoCal who charge you $100 to fight your ticket, if they cant beat your ticket you get the money back. You might want to find if there is one up in that area. I have used one in the past and it has helped me out.

The blackvue cameras have speed sensors built in, if you truely werent speeding the vid might get you off. I have them in all of my cars.

Best of luck

Thanks. I will look into that as well!