Enough with this '99 SV crap!

andecorp

We need to bear in mind the mountain of regulations car designs face as time progresses... crash tests, pedestrian safety, all cars must have abs, then air bags, then traction control. I still think the Murci is outrageous.. since we're Lambo owners we get desensitized to their looks.... but a Murci on the road still looks like a spaceship from another planet. The Aventador is the latest and greatest... but just as the Murci and Gallardo look related so does the Huracan and the Aventador..... They have Lambo DNA so it's inevitable. Heck in some angles I could see Countach in the Gallardo.... in some angles I could see Diablo in the Murci. I just don't like the "its not a real Lamborghini" mentality... I have a friend who worked really hard to realize his dream and get a Gallardo.. when we were at an outing someone made a comment how its not a real Lambo and it's like the Boxster of Lamborghini's... he shouldn't care but I could tell it still made him feel shitty. Anyway I digress... Europeans did always get the better equipment tho.. the thin seats due to not requiring side airbags..... or small batch cars like the Diablo GT...PS if its good enough for Bruce Wayne

i010694.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get both sides but really they are just opinions and there is no right answer. No point in trying to sway others to your side. I can appreciate the newer models 100% but the lack of a manual option...and that I can't afford them lol....is the main thing that makes me not interested. Not whether they were truly Italian or German owned Or any of that stuff.

Luckily your sitting on a goldmine now :) The way its going your diablo will almost be worth more then an Aventador!!

That's true, some Diablo's have already sold for more than the asking price of some of the Aventadors.

A local guy I know offered me almost 6 figures last night and I passed. I hope you guys are right and now that I fixed the issue I was having and went for a nice run yesterday, I was all smiles! Don't know if it's replaceable!

That's where this gets tough.... the analog purity of the older cars, the low production numbers.... there use to always be a couple Diablos for sale here in Canada along with Countaches.. Diablos were anywhere from 75-150K but now they are so sought after there are almost none for sale. If you ever sold it, it would be very difficult to replace. Plus you have your car sorted, know it inside and out.... I have a feeling you would regret selling. Also I don't think anything could replicate the driving experience...

As far as I'm aware '97 + '98 MY Euro SVs were the only stripped out cars a la SE30 with the flat dash, carbon gearbox tunnel, full alcantara interior, no airbags etc.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that NA SVs are essentially 2WD VTs wearing SV garb but beyond the gauges and gear knob the interior is the exact same as a VT. Lambo probably thought NA buyers preferred more creature comforts including full leather, etc.

Many times in order to bring certan options to market in the US they need to be crash tested to meet DOT.. low volume models sometimes mean the manufacturer doesn't feel it worth while to crash test several cars to meet dot. Carbon interiors would require crash testing.. money says Lambo didn't want o spend the time and money for so few cars.

diablo will almost be worth more then an Aventador!!

The problem with owning a Diablo in today's speculative market is now I'll be worried every time I take it out for a drive. If some asshole hits me, the value will be drastically reduced. Still can't get proper stated value insurance coverage....

At this point, I'd consider trading the SV (and some cash, lol) for a car that I can take out of the garage and run it like it's supposed to be driven without worrying about devaluing the car if something were to happen.

The problem with owning a Diablo in today's speculative market is now I'll be worried every time I take it out for a drive. If some asshole hits me, the value will be drastically reduced. Still can't get proper stated value insurance coverage....

At this point, I'd consider trading the SV (and some cash, lol) for a car that I can take out of the garage and run it like it's supposed to be driven without worrying about devaluing the car if something were to happen.

I don't have that issue. I dreamt all my life about Diablos so mine will never be sold, so I drive the hell out of them, including road rallies. Anything gets damaged, I just fix it. I have zero interest in resale value. My only concern was with insurance to make sure they are insured for enough $ that I can replace them if something happens.

I don't have that issue. I dreamt all my life about Diablos so mine will never be sold, so I drive the hell out of them, including road rallies. Anything gets damaged, I just fix it. I have zero interest in resale value. My only concern was with insurance to make sure they are insured for enough $ that I can replace them if something happens.

having 3 also helps prevent putting too many miles on them! haha

He does have the right mentality tho... at the end of the day it was built to bring you pleasure... trading cars like commodities misses the point....

Trading cars like commodities isn't a bad idea if you can sell it to someone who will appreciate it more than you and you turn around and purchase something better suited for your need/wants.

The Diablo just like the Countach seems to be becoming a collectible. I don't have pockets quite deep enough to risk devaluing a car that is seeming to rapidly increase in value.

I bought the car because it was a dream car of mine when I was a kid and now I can afford to make that dream come true. I can afford to use a car that I have $150k or so invested in but if the value goes north of $200k, unfortunately it will be sold to the highest bidder....lol.

I just assume sell it to someone who wants to collect it and drive it less than me. I can purchase something that I won't feel as bad about driving hard or worry about someone damaging it.

As I mentioned before, I love all model lamborghinis including the Murci. In today's market, the Murci may be better for me right now.

Couple of points on this topic of Diablos..

#1... All Diablos from 91-99 dyno right around the same hp with full exhaust. 410-415rwhp... The SE with the Jota package dynoed 436rwhp, and the Diablo 6.0 430 awhp. ( 6.0 dynoed stock)

#2. For the U.S. SV's, they are heavier than the euro cars, as are pretty much all models of Lambos. The U.S. cars, do have adj suspension, leather etc. The big weight difference comes from catalytic converters, the huge exhaust box, additional bumper supports. All Euro lambos are faster than their U.S. counterparts.

#3. I don't believe those carbon door panels are stock. They didn't come with carbon panels.

#4. From my experience the SE is the lightest, then the early 91-93 cars, as they didnt have adj suspension, no power steering, no abs, tiny brakes etc. My 92 with full exhaust weighed in at 35XX lbs, Id guess an SV is atleast 100lbs heavier.

In regards to Murcielago vs Diablo, the Murcielago shows how good the Sv is. Inmo , even though I like my Murcielago, I find it to be a step backwards in every regard. I also prefer the pop up light Sv to the 99. While the interior is step forward in the 99, the exterior is not.

Couple of points on this topic of Diablos..

#1... All Diablos from 91-99 dyno right around the same hp with full exhaust. 410-415rwhp... The SE with the Jota package dynoed 436rwhp, and the Diablo 6.0 430 awhp. ( 6.0 dynoed stock)

#2. For the U.S. SV's, they are heavier than the euro cars, as are pretty much all models of Lambos. The U.S. cars, do have adj suspension, leather etc. The big weight difference comes from catalytic converters, the huge exhaust box, additional bumper supports. All Euro lambos are faster than their U.S. counterparts.

#3. I don't believe those carbon door panels are stock. They didn't come with carbon panels.

#4. From my experience the SE is the lightest, then the early 91-93 cars, as they didnt have adj suspension, no power steering, no abs, tiny brakes etc. My 92 with full exhaust weighed in at 35XX lbs, Id guess an SV is atleast 100lbs heavier.

In regards to Murcielago vs Diablo, the Murcielago shows how good the Sv is. Inmo , even though I like my Murcielago, I find it to be a step backwards in every regard. I also prefer the pop up light Sv to the 99. While the interior is step forward in the 99, the exterior is not.

4. SE had option of big brembo brakes.

91 weighed 3473lb

94 VT 3583lb

SE was 3190lb

VT roadster was 3583lb

99 SV was 3474lb

(all taken from Google Book - Diablo Buyers Guide https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9yM6BAAAQBAJ )

98 onwards had better brakes and ABS.

your comment on the 99 fixed headlights is subjective - my opinion differs, but then I am bias :-)

This thread is going to piss off EVERY SINGLE '99 SV owner!

'99s are not REAL SV's! They are just 2WD VT's. The real SV's are the pop up cars.

Pop-up SV's have thin CF seats with alcantara and no padding. Naked CF door skins, naked CF sills and console. No ABS, no lift kit, no air bags, no adjustable suspension, no stereo, no ashtray, no interior lights, etc, etc. Also, the offset wheels (17 at the front, 18 at the rear) totally transform the steering agility too.

'99s have ABS, air bags, leather, padding, lift kit, adjustable suspension, all the VT luxuries and so on. They are 2WD VTs! So what if they have an extra 20bhp over the earlier, PROPER SV's? It's still not enough to cart around all the extra weight!

I have spent a fair bit of time behind the wheel of two different '99 SV's. They both felt identical to each other and NOTHING like my '96 built ('97MY) SV. My pop-up SV feels light, agile and like it's dancing on its toes. The '99's felt cumbersome and heavy.

So tired of seeing all these praise of the '99 SV's from people that have never driven both and compared them.

Below is the door skin of my pop-up SV - what does the door skin on your '99 SV look like?

My door skin of my 99 SV is also full carbon! So please relax. Every Diablo is nice. Hate this comparison "this is bad this is good".

Everybody has is own opinion in things. We aren´t 18 years old kids.

The 94VT started with the big Brembos, but I'm not sure if the first VT cars ordered in 1993 only had Brembos as an option. Was ABS an option in '98 and then standard on the 99VT?

Trading cars like commodities isn't a bad idea if you can sell it to someone who will appreciate it more than you and you turn around and purchase something better suited for your need/wants.

The Diablo just like the Countach seems to be becoming a collectible. I don't have pockets quite deep enough to risk devaluing a car that is seeming to rapidly increase in value.

I bought the car because it was a dream car of mine when I was a kid and now I can afford to make that dream come true. I can afford to use a car that I have $150k or so invested in but if the value goes north of $200k, unfortunately it will be sold to the highest bidder....lol.

I just assume sell it to someone who wants to collect it and drive it less than me. I can purchase something that I won't feel as bad about driving hard or worry about someone damaging it.

As I mentioned before, I love all model lamborghinis including the Murci. In today's market, the Murci may be better for me right now.

IMO if you like it enjoy it. Regardless of what the market value in the car is, as long as you're insured for the purchase price and most of the money you put in maintenance, then if something happens to the car, you aren't out any money. Like Roy says, these high prices only matter if you sell and the way I see it, is anything I would sell for above what I have into it is free money.

4. SE had option of big brembo brakes.

91 weighed 3473lb

94 VT 3583lb

SE was 3190lb

VT roadster was 3583lb

99 SV was 3474lb

(all taken from Google Book - Diablo Buyers Guide https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9yM6BAAAQBAJ )

your comment on the 99 fixed headlights is subjective - my opinion differs, but then I am bias :-)

All of those weight figures are taken from factory figures which are as accurate as their HP figures. As I stated my 91 after exhaust removal (100lbs) weighed over 3500 lbs. Off the top of my head, Keiths SE Jota on 4 pt scales weighed over 3400lbs. My comment on the 99 Sv is subjective, you will obviously have people in both camps.

The 94VT started with the big Brembos, but I'm not sure if the first VT cars ordered in 1993 only had Brembos as an option. Was ABS an option in '98 and then standard on the 99VT?

ABS is standard on U.S 98 SVs, and the brakes are larger Brembos over the 94 cars, along with larger rotors.

Yeah Italians and specs are vague at best.... Looks are subjective but since you have a Countach, Diablo, and Murci I trust your opinion in regards to comparisons of the models. The Murci is definitely no light weight

IMO if you like it enjoy it. Regardless of what the market value in the car is, as long as you're insured for the purchase price and most of the money you put in maintenance, then if something happens to the car, you aren't out any money. Like Roy says, these high prices only matter if you sell and the way I see it, is anything I would sell for above what I have into it is free money.

It is unlikely I will sell it but if the value of the Monterey Edition SV's climb north of $200k, it will be sitting in someone else's garage.

If the values plateau or soften and never reach that value, I guess I will be forced to remain the owner of one of the baddest cars ever manufactured....

Unfortunately almost everything has a price.....

Ever since these values started going up, I told myself as soon as I can get $150k, I'm out. But I still think it would be hard to part with.

It is unlikely I will sell it but if the value of the Monterey Edition SV's climb north of $200k, it will be sitting in someone else's garage.

If the values plateau or soften and never reach that value, I guess I will be forced to remain the owner of one of the baddest cars ever manufactured....

Unfortunately almost everything has a price.....

Then you should sell it, as inmo a good low mile Monterey SV is worth a good bit more than 200k...