2008 Super G. Things to consider when purchasing?

Maratea

Hello Guys,

Looking at a 2008 Super G with only 2600 miles. Beautiful car.

I was hoping to get some opinions about this model year and what to look for.

I believe the 2009 Gallardos and up have the revised E Gear. Not sure though.

anything to consider with such low mileage? Car is an one owner.

Thanks guys,

19.jpg

I LOVE the pre LP SL, I will always regret not buying one, they are all pretty much bulletproof, the LP got the revised transmission but I wouldn't trade a 08 SL on an LP, that's just me.

There is nothing peculiar to the 08 SL that would be any different than how you would check out any Gallardo. Full PPI and clutch snapshot of course. Service records and history if available. Hopefully, despite virtually never driving it the owner serviced it properly. That's amazingly low mileage so the body should be pristine. Check under the nose, and check out the rear diffuser. It's carbon fiber and often damaged when backing up. Very expensive to replace make sure it's clean.

I bought mine two and a half years ago with only 4K on it and only one owner. No problems at all. One of the best sounding stock exhausts there is. Love the carbon fiber. Wouldn't trade mine straight up for any LP. They're that good.

There is nothing peculiar to the 08 SL that would be any different than how you would check out any Gallardo. Full PPI and clutch snapshot of course. Service records and history if available. Hopefully, despite virtually never driving it the owner serviced it properly. That's amazingly low mileage so the body should be pristine. Check under the nose, and check out the rear diffuser. It's carbon fiber and often damaged when backing up. Very expensive to replace make sure it's clean.

I bought mine two and a half years ago with only 4K on it and only one owner. No problems at all. One of the best sounding stock exhausts there is. Love the carbon fiber. Wouldn't trade mine straight up for any LP. They're that good.

2013 Superleggera bought new. 2500 miles

post-44-1425772880_thumb.jpg

The standard exhaust sound is sublime, my absolute favorite stock exhaust on the Gallardo series, LP and pre LP.

The 2008 SL are awesome cars. Really liked my old one. Some cars experience e-gear failure but that applies to all Gallardos no matter what year. Other than that they are pretty much bullet proof.

Low miles for a car that old. Make sure to have a PPI done and put some miles on it to make sure everything is humming along.

I have had my SL for two summers.

It is a really great car.

One of the other posters mentioned the E gear pump going on some of the cars. Other than that they are pretty bullet proof.

While clutch life isn't as good as the LP's, the upgraded clutches do last longer than earlier models.

You will find that the Pirelli tire life is relatively short. I switched mine out to the Michellin PSS and love the tire.

If there is one criticism, it is with the carbon ceramic brakes. To the uninitiated, they are like an on/off switch. (You will look and feel like a student driver the first couple of times you hit the brakes.... LOL). After a while you will get the feel of the brakes and learn how to modulate the pedal.

Tip:

When decelerating and braking for a corner on the street, let the car downshift for you. If you are trying to brake and manually downshift at the same time, you may find that as the car downshifts, it will pitch you forward slightly, unintentionally turning a light application of the brakes into heavy duty braking.

The texture of the steering wheel is really cool, but the oils from your hands will flatten out the alcantera. You can wear driving gloves to eliminate this. There are a couple of shops that can restore the finish if needed.

Best of luck.

I had both the original MY08 SL & the 570SL. I concur with what everyone had said. The 08 SL is more raw and feels a bit clunky. The stock exhaust is how a Lamborghini should sound --- having that menacing solid deep bass but not the rumble like muscle cars. The E-gear, particularly in 1st & 2nd, can be a bit temperamental and takes time to learn how to give it gas properly for the city's stop & go driving. If it has CCB's, you will also need learn how to modulate the brake pedal to lessen the jerkiness. The 570 is more user-friendly, the software in the e-gear had taken its bite out and auto mode actually works (i.e. if you ever want to use it). The bite on the CCB is also tamed so it has no learning curve. Unfortunately, they tuned out the exhaust too so it sounds more benign. For the North American market, the original SL did not get the proper light-weight sport seats found on the later 570 SL; instead; you get the same "fat" comfy seats with fancy embroidery so that's a bit of a disappointment. Overall, the original SL is more raw and perhaps have more of the "visceral" feel; the 570 SL is easier to live with in all aspects, a tad faster & more nimble and a better all-rounder.

The standard exhaust sound is sublime, my absolute favorite stock exhaust on the Gallardo series, LP and pre LP.

Even better if you do the poor mans exhaust mod, pulling the vacuum hose forcing the exhaust valve to stay open at all times. Sounds fantastic and costs exactly nothing....lol...😄

Even better if you do the poor mans exhaust mod, pulling the vacuum hose forcing the exhaust valve to stay open at all times. Sounds fantastic and costs exactly nothing....lol...😄

I had that done on my 04 before I had a TUBI installed, great mod :icon_mrgreen:

It's a great car; love mine. It is as described above, pretty much bulletproof. I've had mine for 6 years and no mechanical issues at all. Only a leaky hydraulic egear line. The exhaust sound is pure magic, especially straight piped.......very loud but in a good way. Good luck.

I LOVE the pre LP SL, I will always regret not buying one, they are all pretty much bulletproof, the LP got the revised transmission but I wouldn't trade a 08 SL on an LP, that's just me.

Thanks Fortis, definitely a great body style.

Appreciate the thoughts TwinV10. Glad your're enjoying yours. I'm reading a lot of positive responses which is what I wanted to hear. Thank you..

I have had my SL for two summers.

It is a really great car.

One of the other posters mentioned the E gear pump going on some of the cars. Other than that they are pretty bullet proof.

While clutch life isn't as good as the LP's, the upgraded clutches do last longer than earlier models.

You will find that the Pirelli tire life is relatively short. I switched mine out to the Michellin PSS and love the tire.

If there is one criticism, it is with the carbon ceramic brakes. To the uninitiated, they are like an on/off switch. (You will look and feel like a student driver the first couple of times you hit the brakes.... LOL). After a while you will get the feel of the brakes and learn how to modulate the pedal.

Tip:

When decelerating and braking for a corner on the street, let the car downshift for you. If you are trying to brake and manually downshift at the same time, you may find that as the car downshifts, it will pitch you forward slightly, unintentionally turning a light application of the brakes into heavy duty braking.

The texture of the steering wheel is really cool, but the oils from your hands will flatten out the alcantera. You can wear driving gloves to eliminate this. There are a couple of shops that can restore the finish if needed.

Best of luck.

I had both the original MY08 SL & the 570SL. I concur with what everyone had said. The 08 SL is more raw and feels a bit clunky. The stock exhaust is how a Lamborghini should sound --- having that menacing solid deep bass but not the rumble like muscle cars. The E-gear, particularly in 1st & 2nd, can be a bit temperamental and takes time to learn how to give it gas properly for the city's stop & go driving. If it has CCB's, you will also need learn how to modulate the brake pedal to lessen the jerkiness. The 570 is more user-friendly, the software in the e-gear had taken its bite out and auto mode actually works (i.e. if you ever want to use it). The bite on the CCB is also tamed so it has no learning curve. Unfortunately, they tuned out the exhaust too so it sounds more benign. For the North American market, the original SL did not get the proper light-weight sport seats found on the later 570 SL; instead; you get the same "fat" comfy seats with fancy embroidery so that's a bit of a disappointment. Overall, the original SL is more raw and perhaps have more of the "visceral" feel; the 570 SL is easier to live with in all aspects, a tad faster & more nimble and a better all-rounder.

Great information guys. I really appreciate the advice and opinions.

Just curious how long does the average clutch last?

Is replacement cost around 5K?

Plus what are the top of line manufactures of exhaust for these cars?

Thanks guys

Great forum....

Great information guys. I really appreciate the advice and opinions.

Just curious how long does the average clutch last?

Is replacement cost around 5K?

Plus what are the top of line manufactures of exhaust for these cars?

Thanks guys

Great forum....

It highly depends on your driving style. But both versions of the SL's have already sorted out all the bugs from the earlier clutches so it shouldn't be a problem at all. I never had a clutch replacement before so I don't know the costs but I would guess that the parts alone would be 5k and there is labour on top. And replacing a clutch involves major labour. The exhaust on the original SL is likely as good as it gets. There really is no need to "upgrade". The "voice" of the exhaust is a very personal and subjective thing. You really have to hear it yourself to realize which brand fits you. SP Engineering (sponsor and part owner of this site) would probably give you the best answer.

The 2008 SL are awesome cars. Really liked my old one. Some cars experience e-gear failure but that applies to all Gallardos no matter what year. Other than that they are pretty much bullet proof.

:iamwithstupid:

Make sure the interior CF doesn't Creek, other than that, regular checkup is only thing needed, good luck :icon_thumleft:

It highly depends on your driving style. But both versions of the SL's have already sorted out all the bugs from the earlier clutches so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Almost 8K miles on mine. Barely broken in yet. Lautlos's clutch is even better...:)

tTxdKTk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Guys,

Looking at a 2008 Super G with only 2600 miles. Beautiful car.

I was hoping to get some opinions about this model year and what to look for.

I believe the 2009 Gallardos and up have the revised E Gear. Not sure though.

anything to consider with such low mileage? Car is an one owner.

Thanks guys,

Check the egear snap to be sure the mileage on the egear (km) is close to the odometer reading.