How hasn't this roadster sold yet?

IanMan

Probably because of all the bashing of early model cars. If it's not a 99 it's no good. At least that's the impression you get from reading opinions, which are for the most part just repeats of what somebody else said.

"If it's not a 99 it's no good."

Yup. This '99 or nothing bs has got to stop on the forums. It's getting really tasteless. Every year and model of the car is badass. I'd grab the '97 roadster if I were getting one without a second thought.

Probably because of all the bashing of early model cars. If it's not a 99 it's no good. At least that's the impression you get from reading opinions, which are for the most part just repeats of what somebody else said.

Actually the real problem with these cars is the lack of air bags, this makes the car near worthless.

LOL! Take note of who's bashing these cars and read between the lines.

Actually the real problem with these cars is the lack of air bags, this makes the car near worthless.

LOL! Take note of who's bashing these cars and read between the lines.

You had me, man. Lol. :icon_mrgreen:

I actually think the '97 cars look the most desirable. Maintains the pure shape with the pop-ups, smaller rims, and interior just looks right without the horrid Lancia-sourced airbagged wheel.

I dont understand the bashing. The only issue (one thats easily fixed) that i see is the 17inch wheels vs the 18inch wheels. My guess on this one would be the 40,000+ miles....I think speculation is driving a lot of sales, and a high mileage car (in speculators eyes) wouldnt seem like a good investment.

I love all the pop up diablos and none of the others for me that is when the soul of the car got a little lost, they were pure driving cars before as simple as possible, and all the rest just ruined the original concept, When I ended buying my SE30 I was looking for a 97 Roadster

I dont understand the bashing. The only issue (one thats easily fixed) that i see is the 17inch wheels vs the 18inch wheels. My guess on this one would be the 40,000+ miles....I think speculation is driving a lot of sales, and a high mileage car (in speculators eyes) wouldnt seem like a good investment.

that's probably true...too many miles for collectors and speculators.

17 or 18" wheels make not much difference.... as someone said the airbag interior is less nice while the 1998-99 18" wheels are better looking to fill the side view ....no big deals in both cases....more or less it is the same car from 95 to 99. older is simpler and lighter, newer more refined and developed, with few more hp

Looks like the issue isn't so much with the miles, airbags or wheels.......but more with the seller. Reading on the other forum, it appears that there are some that were seriously interested in this car, but correspondence with the seller is what turned them off. Seems that the seller won't provide information on what service work was done at the dealer costing $35K, will not provide copies of the receipts/records for potential buyers to review, says that he will email copies and/or will go over verbally what was done but ultimately flakes or gives excuses on why he can't do it at the time. He also replied to one person, that if you cannot trust him, then this is probably not the car for you and to another person asking for records, that this is all too complicated for him and tells them that they should look elsewhere for a car. The price has moved from $125K to $175K and now back to $150K BIN on Ebay. A couple of others that have inquired were told that the car was at the dealer having repairs done and would take about 1 month to be finished......but when they asked exactly what work was being performed the seller didn't know. Plus, the seller's business has a number of bad reviews on Yelp.

Between all of these items, it seems that this is the reason why the car hasn't sold. Could be a good deal, but sounds like it will be a real "fight" to try and verify its condition. Anybody feel lucky and wanna roll the dice?? :D

My opinion is any Diablo "without" pop up headlights is not a Diablo at all :D one of the best features is the hidden headlights, having the boring 300Z headlights takes away from it's original design imo ;)

Not only will I be able to see (because of the reliable Japanese headlights) but I will be sailing past you at night at 200+ mph because I don't have two barn doors open on my hood... at least these are things I tell myself to sleep soundly at night :icon_mrgreen:

I do like the older pop-up light look IF they are down / during the day-time. I'm not a fan of the Diablo lights when up as compared to the open head light cars, but there is no accounting for taste. The only cars I like with pop-ups with the lights up would be the F355 and NSX. Not sure why, it just works for me on those two...

My opinion is any Diablo "without" pop up headlights is not a Diablo at all :D one of the best features is the hidden headlights, having the boring 300Z headlights takes away from it's original design imo ;)

The only cars I like with pop-ups with the lights up would be the F355 and NSX. Not sure why, it just works for me on those two...

Only two cars I like with pop up headlights, a real flachbau 930 and a real flachbau 965 S.

as a 80's kids pop up lights are a must for sport cars to me

i love F40, testarossa, countach, diablo, 308, esprit ...all with the pop ups

For the pop-up headlight crowd and the clear headlight crowd, it would be interesting to compare stories about where we were in life at these different points of the Diablo's evolution. ...comparing when we first noticed the car and what impact it made.

Born in 1980, had the Countach, Testarossa, and whale-tail black 911 Turbo on the walls. Naturally wanted all 3 for different reasons/purposes.

My first real head-explosion moment with cars (beyond the typical posters, books, matchbox cars as a little guy), was my brother teaching me to drive his stick shift 5.0 Mustang when I was ~ 12 years (I was a tall 12 year old). Yes this happened in the midwest where we blow things up with gunpowder and other explosive materials as forms of entertainment, and 12 year olds have their own assault rifle collection already :headbang: . I realize a 12 year old piloting a manual gearbox V8 Mustang around a parking lot is not really "PC" here on the left coast :icon_super:

The Lambo obsession initially sparked from Cannon Ball Run (the movie), made a trip to what was then Nelson Lamborghini in Columbus OH, and then solidified when I got a ride in a 99 VT Roadster (black/black) and felt/heard the 12 behind me at WOT. Game over, must buy one, took me awhile to get around to doing it :icon_mrgreen:

I think generation-wise I am on the bubble with pop-up vs. non pop-up lights.

For the pop-up headlight crowd and the clear headlight crowd, it would be interesting to compare stories about where we were in life at these different points of the Diablo's evolution. ...comparing when we first noticed the car and what impact it made.

OK, I'll go check this car and dealer out in the next 48 hours (looking for an excuse to to drive one of mine) Question: Which one do I take? The '97 Roadster with almost 80,000 Km on the clock, but looks like it came out of the factory last month or the SV ME edition with only 24,000 Km but is a concour car. ie, which one will illicit the most "straight" answers from the seller? Opinions?

:iamwithstupid: The 300ZX lights kill the lines of the car inmo. Look like an afterthought, which they were. The 6.0 with the restyled front looks better with the 300ZX headlights.

yes i too was hooked by cannonball run, specifically the helicopter shot of the countach pulling sway, then the shots of the girls getting in and out

then i was at the phila auto show in 91 and saw the Diablo, it was black and i had the passing thought id never attain that , but dreamed.

And continued to dream and now own a 91 2wd . so when the young kids come up excited and the parents say negative dream busting statements to them

i say never let anyone tell you what you can achieve hold on to your dreams

i like the headlight covers

OK, drove the SV up to north PHX this afternoon to check out this roadster...here's my report...When I arrived (2 pm) at "Arizona wholesale Auto and Truck" (terrible name, we will get to that) it was closed and locked up tight and it is not in the best part of town, this was going to be easy...not. As I was about to leave Alan Monroe, President and I'm pretty sure owner pulled in. Very nice guy, not "flaky" at all, but most showings are done by appointment according to Alan. He's been in the same location for 24 years. The business name, should be something like "AZ Porsche and Specialty Cars", as Alan opened the shop and gave me a tour. Many very nice vintage and newer Porsche's along with a nice smattering of other sports cars. Alas, the Diablo Roadster was not there, Alan said it was at his home, as he had driven it this morning (he pulled in a a big p/u truck) So I can not vouch for the condition of his Roadster, though he spoke very enthusiastically about it. (May get to see it Saturday morning if he brings it to cars & coffee) So overall: don't be turned off by the business name, Alan was not flaky at all. If I needed another Roadster I would make an appointment with Alan to check out the car. Any one interested in this Roadster needs to do that, in person. I don't think this car will be sold over the phone/internet. So that's my report folks, hope it helps someone....

:iamwithstupid: The 300ZX lights kill the lines of the car inmo. Look like an afterthought, which they were. The 6.0 with the restyled front looks better with the 300ZX headlights.

:iamwithstupid:

I never really thought about it much but now that you mention it, I like the pop up lights on the 99 and earlier cars as well. The 300zx headlights look misplaced on the earlier cars and I also agree the 300zx headlights work well with the redesign of the 6.0