Off shore fishing boats

Juice it

Does anyone here have an off shore fishing boat or have a decent knowledge about them? Here in md you need to be able to go out at least 20 miles and from the few boats I have been out there on I would say the minimum size for me to feel comfortable on seems to be in the 30-35 ft range and I was wondering what the guys here would recommend to look at used in this size with say a 75k-100k price range. I realize there are center console "yellowfin" types of boats with the outboards As well as the wider cabin cruiser types with an open rear and inboards. I like both types but have not spent enough time on either to know much about the benefits of either besides the obvious. Anyone here have thoughts/ input besides the "boats are money pits and should be rented" argument? I agree with that however my son is getting older and loves to fish and I love hanging out with him and we have great times on the water so I am ok with the pain of owning another boat. (Have a back bay runabout now but it is not something to take out in the ocean.) thx

I've had about a half a dozen of them over the years. My most recent one is a 41 Hydra sport, with triple 350 hp Yamaha. If you're only going 20 miles out a new boat over 30 feet will work. Obviously you at least want 2 engines, that way if something happens to one of them you've got another one to get back. On the gulf side of Florida we have to go 50 to 70 miles out to get into good fishing, so I wanted something a little larger and faster. 30 to 32 feet should be plenty with twins, and as far as the brand, it really depends on what you like as in the set up of the boat. My favorite boat that I recently seen, is the Nortech, but it's a fairly new brand and expensive. Yellowfin is expensive as well as Boston Whaler. Your local both shows are a great place to see whole lot of brands at the same time and then it's just a matter of using boat trader or even eBay to find the boat you want. If you stick with one of the smaller brands, you usually can find some really good deals.

Another suggestion, is if you're only going to use it once a month or so, you could look into a boat club. These are membership clubs in which you can select from several boats that belong to the club and and use them.

Your budget dictates a much older boat for the size range you want to be in. I always try to keep a 38 to 40ish foot center console around for my daughters. I recently sold my 39' deep impact with triple 350 sci verados, I couldn't say enough about the boat. It was a 2013 with 200ish hours and sold for $320k used, msrp new was just a hair over $500k.

We replaced it with a one year old 39' midnight express with triple 350 yamahas, the boat is a pig and I wouldn't recommend it.

For what your looking to spend, I'd look for a 35' Marlin or a 36' Marlago. Both based on the old 32' Cary/36' cigarette 9'6" beam hull. Serious offshore pedigree, roomy and well within your budget.

I've been in the boat design, building, sales business for the last three decades and am a wealth of useless knowledge regarding the subject, feel free to contact me via pm if you need a hand.

Thanks guys, am going to go looking to start to narrow down what I think would like. Boat show is probably a great idea, will have to see when the next big ones around here are. I guess until you have your first fishing boat and start using it regularly it is kind of difficult to know what you would want/don't want. At first I was just looking at open center console types but I do really like the wider hatteras types which would give you an actual inside. To got his route though it would be a much older boat than the other. Abolfaz, what are your thoughts on something like this to get started with? Thx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-STAMAS-340-TA...em=391155103056

Slow, heavy, outdated and overpriced. Take a look at a late model Grady white Bimini. Great wife beam center console with solid resale.

So I looked up the Hydrosport and the deep impact, those are both great looking boats! When you mention out dated, is that hull design? Assuming electronics and engines can vary and be changed but the hull remains the same so what do you look for in a hull? I notice that many of the newer sleeker boats are much lower in the very back and come down on an angle as opposed to many that just have a squared off rear. I will definitely reach out when I start looking at a few. Thx

So I looked up the Hydrosport and the deep impact, those are both great looking boats! When you mention out dated, is that hull design? Assuming electronics and engines can vary and be changed but the hull remains the same so what do you look for in a hull? I notice that many of the newer sleeker boats are much lower in the very back and come down on an angle as opposed to many that just have a squared off rear. I will definitely reach out when I start looking at a few. Thx

plus you have to think about resale. always go with hydrasport, grady, boston, nortech, DI, midnight etc and if you buy right you wont get hurt. im sure abolfaz can you help you find a deal.

im going through the same process right now. im leaning towards nortech.

Looks as though my range needs to bump up a bit, any thoughts on a Donzi like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-DONZI-38-ZFXO...em=261917875694

What would you guys consider a smoking deal for this particular boat? Going to check a few out this weekend and hope to gain a bit of knowledge.

Great boat. I had the same boat and really liked it. They are out of business and that color is challenging so I think you need to get an amazing deal.

Check out Statement as well. They have the best fit and finish, almost automotive, I have seen.

Looks as though my range needs to bump up a bit, any thoughts on a Donzi like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-DONZI-38-ZFXO...em=261917875694

What would you guys consider a smoking deal for this particular boat? Going to check a few out this weekend and hope to gain a bit of knowledge.

Good looking boat, Donzi is back in business albeit not as strong as it was under American marine holdings ownership. I have a 38zx right now with 525hp's, different deck but the same hull. The Donzi 38 family stepped hull has some idiosyncrasies that you may not like. I'd suggest an extensive sea trial in varying sea states before going forward. Also, have the engines thoroughly checked out, verados out of warranty can be a tricky proposition.

If you're now in the $150k range, there's a whole other category of boats available to you. I would suggest getting the newest boat (maybe smaller than you're looking for) you can and get something that still has engine warranties with the capability of getting extended warranties.

Also beware, because of donzi's tumultuous recent history, their resale sucks donkey balls.

anyone know of any good clubs in south florida

we are looking to go out once a month or so or is it better to just charter a boat a month

thanks

Jon

Where are you located?

i lived on a boat when i was a kid, so i'm kinda burned out on boats in general. One thing that has always stuck in my mind is slow boats suck and no matter what at the end of the day they cause frustration. My biz partner dropped $500K on some pig about 10 years ago. no matter what he did to it, it was still 12 knots. took a year to get to Catalina. he made everything nice as possible-never offset the fact it was slooooow.

so buy a fast boat.

...so buy a fast boat.

Different strokes for different folks. Some of my most peaceful and enjoyable trips aboard have been with the autopilot on cruising at 10 knots.

Different strokes for different folks. Some of my most peaceful and enjoyable trips aboard have been with the autopilot on cruising at 10 knots.

i lived on a sail boat built in 1927, 10 knots wasn't possible to the best of my recollection. LOL

I agree there's nothing wrong with slow boats. I was referring to the OP where he wants to go fishing where distance can be required. Then slow boats become a issue as you spend more time getting to the fish than fishing. I met a guy who had a sport fishier in Cabo, this was 15 years ago he had a couple mil in it, that was big time marlin action. I dont recall all the specifics he told me, i just remember it was very interesting.

Looked at a number of boats in the past few days and now have a few more things that I was not really thinking about to consider. It seems that in the marina I would be using most people with the large center consoles do not keep them in slips when not used, they actually take them out and keep them on racks and with an hour notice they will put it in and have it ready. One thing I did not really think about was that the marina is very nice and has pools/restaurants/bar and it seems like having a boat in an actual slip you could hang out on it and use these things when you want which would probably be fun from time to time and have a "base" to hang out on. Also, it seems the center console guys I spoke to were all about the speed to get there and back, kind of like lambo guys vs rolls/bentley debate. I like both and I can see benefits of each. Am going to do a few more charters and go out with my buddy on his yellowfin and pay closer attention to the boat aspect and gain some more knowledge. I am envious of you florida guys that live on canals and can have these boats right in your backyard with many great locations to go to.