Tianjin Explosion

Lambo91

Holy crap..God bless all those affected. That was a serious set of explosions wow.

Explosion prevention is very niche even within a niche industry (fire protection ) although I'm sure there will be a lot of conversation taking place soon.

Hard to speculate what could set off an explosion that insane. From a volatility standpoint, it's hard to be more dangerous than dust. The fuel load looks enormous clearly, but an overlooked aspect probably has to do with massive pressure buildup before detonation.

This could be at play here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflagratio...tion_transition

Having containers of alkali metal waste sitting around a populated area...wtf. Blood is definitely on someone's hands. It actually may have been less harmful to get rid of it the same way we used to.

Metal fires are brutal indeed.

Fireworks can generate some pretty big explosions as well. This happened in Denmark many many years ago, in the beginning of 00's. Not as big as in China, but very big and in the godsmack middle of a Family neighbourhood. Today its illegal for those kinds of factories to be in populated areas in Denmark.

Doesn't surprise me something like this happened with things like the Shanghai garbage bridge that were built. I am waiting for a major train disaster to occur there as I had read an article saying that the type of ash or something they use in constructing the rails, that the supply they have versus the level of construction they have been doing, can't possibly meet the demand, which means the rail lines are likely sub-par in certain areas.

Prayers out to the people and their families though.