Headlight question

Roman

So when I turn on my headlights, the right one goes up normally. The left one goes up, down , up down, up down. Etc. what's up with that?

Is your Countach's name Blinky?

If you put pressure on the light it will stay in the up or down position. I'm sure one of the experts can help you better. My Jalpa always did this!

It's a 10 dollar relay available at Napa. It could be a .30 resistor, located on the headlight motor, but hopefully the relay. IIRC mine was under the hood, but on a 88 I think it could be near the fuses. Check a wiring diagram if you don't find it. Your manual might indicate where the relay is on your car.

It's a 10 dollar relay available at Napa. It could be a .30 resistor, located on the headlight motor, but hopefully the relay. IIRC mine was under the hood, but on a 88 I think it could be near the fuses. Check a wiring diagram if you don't find it. Your manual might indicate where the relay is on your car.

Maybe next time I see you you can point it out? Do you know what type of relay it is exactly...

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a worn gear. It would start slow, catch, lift, fall some, fall some more, repeat.

I hope it's your relay because getting that motor out is a B!tch.

headlight_motor.jpg

I had to match the relay up, but it was no big deal. The guy at the counter took it back and brought another. He didn't ask what kind of car or any questions. I went to the trouble to remove the headlight motor and check it first. Yeah, Islandguy is correct, a big pain to remove the motor. I had to sit where the spare is to get mine out.

FYI.

The headlight motor mechanicals are the same as the Fiat X/19.

(translation..... Rebuilt under $100 each.)

I suspect the problem is the relay.

If memory serves correctly, there is one for left side and one for right side.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a worn gear. It would start slow, catch, lift, fall some, fall some more, repeat.

I hope it's your relay because getting that motor out is a B!tch.

That doesn't sound like what it's doing... They both go up at the same speed, then the left one goes right back down (normal closing speed) then goes right back up, then right back down.... I turn off the switch and it keeps going about 3 more cycles then closes.

Hi Romandad, I read somewhere on another Lambo forum its caused by a bad diode that's connected across the motor input or at the relay , if the diode fails there is nothing to stop the back emf of the motor from powering the relay the wrong way , so sending the motor in the other direction. I had a similar problem with a car alarm years ago, the back emf of the horn coil caused the alarm to self trigger I fitted a diode and the problem was sorted. this site will help you get the diode the right way around the cathode is usually marked with a white line so if you fit a new one the same way around you should be good , you can test the current one by lifting one end, with a multimeter it should read about 30ohms one way and nothing the other, hope this helps. http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects...de%20Works.html

It is either the relay or the diode.

The relay is a simple check, pull it and swap it out with the other side if the problem goes away, purchase a new relay.

However I believe it is the diode which means you will have to pull the headlight motor in order to replace the diode.

I can walk you through this if it is the diode as I have done it before.

Used headlights today. Came on fine.

When I turned them off the left one went down, went back up then went back down.

Used headlights today. Came on fine.

When I turned them off the left one went down, went back up then went back down.

That being said, it sounds more like the relay as if it was a diode it would never have stopped cycling.

Do what I said swap the relays left to right.

• 3 weeks later...
How did this turn out? Relay?

It worked the last couple of times I used em... So Ive ignored it...