Any GT3 owners here?

abolfaz

They are printing more in 2016 so just be aware it might not be free to drive like before. They might even make more RS's which I personally find to be a terrible idea. :-)

The Targa is awesome, looks a little different and is relatively rare.

I hear you, it feels retarded around town and in traffic.

Agreed.

No winding roads, nothing other than six miles of 35 mph traffic in each direction.

It seems that it would make a shitty DD, problem is that everyone and their damn mothers down here has some sort of 997 or 991. For the money, the GT3 is unique and low key (at least to the average person in white), if you don't know what you're looking at it looks like any other 911. This is the most important part for me.

Otherwise, what else can you get that makes any sense and gives you the same bang for the buck at that price point? I already have a BMW 650 sedan that I dislike driving as I hate driving around by myself in a four door. I spent a week driving a new Wraith and couldn't stand the negative reactions from clients, employees, etc.

With all that said, I still can't figure out if I want a GT3 or not.

My second choice would be a targa

The GT3's have historically had the best value retention vs. other 911's, turbos and GT2's included. That's a huge plus IMO.

Would an R8 work? More comfortable, still very sporty, has power, similar price range etc?

• 4 weeks later...

I'll chime in a little.

I don't DD my GT3, but could very easily do so. The car is so flexible in that you can drive it like a standard 991 or you can set it into a mode that allows it to be the fantastic experience that everyone says it is.

My commute is roughly 10 miles each way, and as short as it is with all the traffic that I have to deal with, the GT3 still shines. It's hard to put everything into words, but I'll put it this way:

During service I was given a loaner 991 Carrera for the day (PDK car). And at the end of that stint, I couldn't wait to get back into the GT3. I think you need to test drive the GT3 to understand why any other 991 lineup just won't measure up. Everything from the way the car handles, to the comfort, the fast shifts, the 9000RPM redline, it's on a different level.

The only thing you lose by choosing the GT3 would be the two rear seats and an open top (if you we're considering a targa or cab in the first place).

I would also bet that the GT3 would be the one car you will look forward to driving, as opposed to looking at it as just another car.