Selling a diamond advice...

MHaynes772

Anyone familiar or have any advice with selling a diamond? Im considering selling a diamond that was left for me when my uncle passed. All it does is sit in a lockbox. I don't wear jewelry, and I don't see myself getting married so I technically have no use for it.

It was last appraised at $60,000. Obviously I know I cannot get close to that, but wondering if anyone has advice of how to go about getting the most out of it. Im not fully sold on selling yet, but toying with the idea.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

No expert here but when it was appraised, did it come with any certs? I.e. Certification from the GIA, EGL, or IGI etc...?

No expert here but when it was appraised, did it come with any certs? I.e. Certification from the GIA, EGL, or IGI etc...?

GIA certification.

Anyone familiar or have any advice with selling a diamond? Im considering selling a diamond that was left for me when my uncle passed. All it does is sit in a lockbox. I don't wear jewelry, and I don't see myself getting married so I technically have no use for it.

It was last appraised at $60,000. Obviously I know I cannot get close to that, but wondering if anyone has advice of how to go about getting the most out of it. Im not fully sold on selling yet, but toying with the idea.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

how many carats, lets see it!

I have a friend in the business. He said wholesale retail the rock is probably worth $22-25k [What he would sell it for to a customer] and if he was buying it obviously less than that. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch.

Do you have a copy of the GIA Cert, I got a buyer who likes Old Mined Cut but he need to see a copy of the Cert to see how the diamond is cut

If we could get the GIA Cert number I can pull the certificate but in general Old Mined cut is a hard sell as they have less facets than a regular round diamond and for such shows less brilliance

I have a friend in the business. He said wholesale retail the rock is probably worth $22-25k [What he would sell it for to a customer] and if he was buying it obviously less than that. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch.

That seems like a price for an SI1, not a VVS1.

That seems like a price for an SI1, not a VVS1.

Don't kill the messenger :) Maybe my friend is just cheap. I guess best way to find out is to try to actually sell it and see what cash buy it now price a diamond retailer would offer him.

Don't kill the messenger :) Maybe my friend is just cheap. I guess best way to find out is to try to actually sell it and see what cash buy it now price a diamond retailer would offer him.

Yeah, that's a pretty aggressive wholesale price as I understand it. I've always found the industry very fascinating for that reason, very wide range in terms of pricing and opportunity in it.

Don't forget it's "G" colour.

This is true, although that is still near colorless.

This is true, although that is still near colorless.

That's the issue. To any regular consumer or the untrained eye, it's almost indistinguishable; Trade-wise, it's 3 colours off from the top.