Happiness thread

Camel Toe Juice

There was an old thread here on LP on happiness, I cant seem to find it but it had some amazingadvice on it which I still take to heart today. At anyrate, I came across this interview and I took a lot of info away from it, thought I would pass it along. Topic on money, happiness, toys, etc. Joe Rogan podcast with Dan Bilzerian. All of it is good but the sweet spot starts at 2:31:00 give it a good 5 min.

ex. Climbing the mountain is far more satisfying than sitting on top of the mountain.

edit:

Cant seem to imbed

Also the Rogan podcast is an amazing podcast.

Ok. I'm drunk. You must be high then...lol.

Joe Rogan, as far out as he might seem sometimes, has some good stuff.

Going to download this one for my morning walk!

This was a good one, I hope Dan comes back, there could be a lot of wisdom there, as he's not afraid of being PC.

This was a good one, I hope Dan comes back, there could be a lot of wisdom there, as he's not afraid of being PC.

Do you mean not afraid of not* being PC...? Just want to make sure I'm reading that right.

I could do it quite easily.

$400M - Yacht

$250M - Boeing 787 Dream Jet

$150M - Cars/Trucks/Motorhomes

$200M - Houses

That would be my first month's expenditures.

Found this in Rob's old thread, with Wiggs telling BrianWilsonUK how to spend $1B.

Gotta love it. :lol2:

Yep, I'm right there with you.

2nd month:

$20M - A badass Helicopter for the Yacht

$500M - Commercial Real Estate around the world

$480M - Gates Foundation

$300M - Incubation and development of Start-up Bio-tech and Renewable Energy Companies

$400M - Fixed Income Investment for Generational Wealth

$250M - Art

$50M - To Live well Debt Free the rest of the year.

$3 Billion spoken for after 2 months.

Such a cool thread, I think when I retire I will spend my time reading old threads on LP :icon_mrgreen:

Occasionally I will find myself in the Gold section and come away entertained, no matter how many times I re-read threads there. :icon_mrgreen:

Interesting point on the whole "reaching for the bar" bit on perspective. I'm not sure what it feels like to hit the bar that high. Some days I feel like I'm on cloud 9 on a good day. Other days it's hard for me to do anything but want to come home and sleep and not wake up. Depending on my mood.

The thing that has helped me the most is to at least attempt to do something small each day. Something I love. I stopped putting my happiness in the hands of others a long time ago in an attempt to ensure I am not emotionally needy or dependent on others. When I can control my own happiness, I am far better off. But something small each day.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if a bored/disgruntled house wife transplanted to the US from the UK has an accurate assessment of things in general :icon_mrgreen:

What's the problem? I think she has a point - people are making happiness a priority - "I chose to be happy" is now a lyrics in many songs. Well, i don't think it works like this - in Russia we have a very apt expression - when you're enjoying something, you "catch the kaif." where kaif is "pleasantness/enjoyment" I noticed to do this, yes you have to allow yourself to catch it by relaxing, but it also kind of sneaks up on you. I guess you could try repeating 'I'm happy, things are well' 20 times and see how your brain adjusts and lets you catch this vibe, but I don't think it'll hit you quite as hard. Meaning you have to be both open to this, and yet passive enough/relaxed.

But I wonder what is the question you're trying to ask really is. Is it still the amount of money per month needed?

Here is a really interesting/smart book, with tons of exploration into why people can or can't be happy.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/feb/...absurdity-foley

https://www.amazon.com/Age-Absurdity-Modern...y/dp/1847396275

One thing I just read in it yesterday was that we as humans are programmed to strive to feel worthwhile. That is a big thing with many people who are slackers or just have it too easy - you feel like shit because you don't accomplish things, but you're stuck in comfort zone so you don't want to go accomplish them either. The other part was that some people these thoughts of 'world should be easy, people should like me, etc" that aren't true and are curses of stupidity and naivette. Anyway there's tons of stuff in this book with a lot of interesting historic anecdotes, effects of media, different schools of thought - I think you'll enjoy it.