SV vs 720S Video....

FikseSTS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is somewhat flawed. It would be only natural for McLaren owners to own more than just a McLaren simply because the customers have to come from somewhere. It's highly unlikely that McLaren sells cars solely to people who have never owned an exotic before and just now caught the bug for the first time. Just about every McLaren owner owned another brand prior. McLaren also doesn't sell nearly as much based on cachet like Ferrari or Lamborghini, thus it attracts more enthusiasts. Naturally enthusiasts will generally be more inclined to own multiple exotics. Also, until the Sport Series they were typically $300K+ cars. The more expensive the car, the higher the income and wealth of the buyer. The higher the income and wealth, the more likely they are to own other cars.

A combination of those reasons is why it seems less likely to find people who own just a McLaren and nothing else. All of that said, I think it's incorrect anyhow. Based on what I see across many forums, there are lots of people who own only a single McLaren an no other exotic, especially since the Sport Series launch. On the flip side, there are many people who own more exotics than just a Lamborghini or Ferrari at the same time. I don't think any brand is terribly unique in ownership characteristics.

I believe McLaren's problem is not one of soul and emotion but simply brand awareness and cachet. I believe it's quite a mistake to say Ferrari and Lamborghini sell because they are so much more exciting. On the contrary, I think Lamborghini and Ferrari are actually supported heavily by people who care far more about showing off and self-image than they do about exhaust sound or dynamics. And remember, McLaren is already selling nearly as many cars as Lamborghini. It's simply a new brand with a slightly different customer base. The residuals are also much better than people have let on, so I wouldn't look too much into price action as a sign of demand.

For me, I think the standard 2012 Avenatdor coupe is the best looking Lamborghini since the Muira and one of the best looking exotics since the F1 LM/HDF kit. People on here seem to love the SV version, but I think it's ugly. I also don't like the Performante at all and find the 580 to be the best looking Huracan, though still not as good looking as a plain jane Gallardo SL with the many-spoke wheels.

Such is personal taste I suppose. All are fantastic cars though and all have pluses and minuses. They all have good and bad angles.

Some good points you make.

But at the same time I can simply distill it to a simple question:

Why do I not spend time lusting over any new McLaren??

All of the V8 and V12 L and F cars have taken their respective turns being the car you're wowed by at any given moment.

I love the refinement of a V12 Aston Martin.

The all out luxury of Rolls Royce/Bentley.

Plenty of admiration for the muscle variants out there.

Porsche, Lotus also have their time too.

McLaren I can't picture it.

And I WANT to picture it. They've been racing in F1 forever and made *the* F1 road car. We've been given a rather new exotic marque fairly recently.

I don't have the answer.

i look at price range, practicality, resale, streetable, trackable, looks, sounds etc when purchasing an exotic.

i don't consider a 911 turbo exotic, more of a nice sports car. a 720, perf, 488, etc are all entry exotics IMO in the same price range and available today. they are all badass cars, but performance wise, looks wise, and overall feel i like the perf. this is my own opinion ofcourse. i owned 2 mclarens when they werent as popular and loved them, but losing 100k+ in less than a year scared the crap out of me. i hope that changes in the near future and ill be back.

Don't blame ya. Hard to go back when you get burned hard. They really screwed the customer when they were starting out trying to get market share and visibility. I'd stick with the limited editions as the safest bet to minimize the hit. But the conservative approach would be to assume all of these toys as being high depreciating assets. 458s are dirt cheap nowadays as well but are still awesome cars

Bench racing is gay. There are a billion metrics that result in the experience of owning/driving a car beyond HP and 60-130 runs. If all you care about is a drag race, you can build something for less than the sales tax on the SV that will skull fcuk them both. Look at each car for what it offers and enjoy it for what it does well.

The 720 could make a great 3rd car that you can actually just drive. IMO the SV is a 5th or 7th car. It's a god damn adventure to take that thing out and it's not good for much beyond an afternoon thrill ride. They are so different a half reasonable person could easily justify having both. :icon_mrgreen:

btw I don't recall Fortis ever being against turbos in the broad spectrum. iirc he just thought it was pointless to build 1500hp tuner cars. And can we all tone down the grammar pedantics, most of the time we know damn well what someone means and the 'gotcha' is pathetic.

Nothing annoys me more that sombody cherry picking a metric to justify their bias, that's like saying the best human on this planet is Usain Bolt because he's the fastest.

I personally like the GT4 just as much as the SV, in certain situations I like it more in others I like the SV more, as you said variety is the spice of life, I appreciate lots of different makes and models but there are constraints, I don't have enough time nor space to purchase any more cars, I see no reason owning something you don't have the chance to use so then I will have to pick something which I absolutely love, in order to swap that I'd have to find something which I love a hell of a lot more which is proven to be quite difficult.

As for turbos, I love turbos I have had turbo charged cars all my life, you are right I consider tuning an exotic to 1500 or 2000 HP highly unnecessary, overkill, I personally wouldn't do it myself but that doesn't stop me from enjoying them and appreciating the effort which goes into them and everything else which comes along with it, I enjoy watching the videos and love seeing companies achieving their goals and winning, why wouldn't I enjoy that?

As for grammar, I am self thought, I am extremely happy with my achievements because I can clearly get by and hold my own, that's another clear example of someone hanging their hat on one metric :lol2:

There was a great piece published by one of the magazines about where these different supercar manufacturers were and where their focus was headed in the future.

Ferrari shifted their focus from lap times to whatever they are doing now (Turbos, GT cars?). Half a decade ago, Lamborghini used to focus on mainly the looks, but also the 0-62 and 1/4 mile times, until they shifted their focus on being the fastest on the track (that shift started with the Aventador SV) while respectfully focusing on the looks and purely N/A engines in their range. McLaren on the other hand went from focusing purely on track times to being the fastest in the 1/4 mile, 0-124, etc.

Notice how all supercar manufacturers shifted away from focusing on the top speed, remember when there was a dick measuring contest of which car had the highest top speed until the Veyron showed up crushed them all? After that there was the 0-62 dick measuring contest, and now its all about focusing on aero, track times, 0-124 and 1/4 mile times.

My point is that each of these brands shift their focus on what they are doing as the time passes by. At one point in time its Lambo who is the fastest at X, at another McLaren or Ferrari. You get it.

Some good points you make.

But at the same time I can simply distill it to a simple question:

Why do I not spend time lusting over any new McLaren??

All of the V8 and V12 L and F cars have taken their respective turns being the car you're wowed by at any given moment.

I love the refinement of a V12 Aston Martin.

The all out luxury of Rolls Royce/Bentley.

Plenty of admiration for the muscle variants out there.

Porsche, Lotus also have their time too.

McLaren I can't picture it.

And I WANT to picture it. They've been racing in F1 forever and made *the* F1 road car. We've been given a rather new exotic marque fairly recently.

I don't have the answer.

The answer is, it's emotional, it's how something makes you feel, these aren't rational desires it's mostly lust, you get a work car you already know the metrics you require, these exotics are all about emotions and what they represent to you personally that's why there are no right or wrong answers it's always about what YOU love and how you feel when you see, touch and even smell something.

What would you rate as your absolute favorite? The dish you loved as a kid which your grandma put under your nose or a dish prepared my a Michelin star chef?

It will always be grandma's dish because it comes along with a host of emotional attachments and will pull on the strings of your heart.

IMO exotic car manufacturers are on the wrong path at the moment they stopped playing on your emotions and they are trying to outdo each other in the race of which one is faster, easier to drive and live with it is as if they don't care about their sales or their bottom lines, they just have to appeal to your senses nothing else and for that they should take another approach in designing and marketing their products.

IMO exotic car manufacturers are on the wrong path at the moment they stopped playing on your emotions and they are trying to outdo each other in the race of which one is faster, easier to drive and live with it is as if they don't care about their sales or their bottom lines, they just have to appeal to your senses nothing else and for that they should take another approach in designing and marketing their products.

The marketing departments are responding to the data they have and I'm sure it reads that "Faster cars sell better". So they have added 7-8 speed transmissions with short gears down low for 2.X 0-62 and tall gears for big top end numbers. Which couldn't be created using 5-6 speed gear boxes.

Having said that, I think that they are not going in the direction "We" would like to see. Look at the prices of manual transmission Ferrari's now-wow!!

I'm more into how a car feels, sounds, feedback than just a numbers race. Which is why for new cars I like the SV as it satisfies that for me. However if there was a manual Aventador i'd buy that over the paddle shift car.

Like it or not the turbo cars ARE THE future, one other reason is the fuel consumption. There is a guideline that car builders have to fall within for total fuel consumption and 12 cylinder cars that use fuel like a F12 or Aventador is screwing up their numbers and they have to build cars that are fast while using MUCH less fuel. I cant recall what that's called, but that's a big part of the reason we are gonna have turbo cars forced upon us, unless we turn into old people living in the past driving the same cars forever-which i'm not opposed to.

Bench racing is gay. There are a billion metrics that result in the experience of owning/driving a car beyond HP and 60-130 runs. If all you care about is a drag race, you can build something for less than the sales tax on the SV that will skull fcuk them both. Look at each car for what it offers and enjoy it for what it does well.

The 720 could make a great 3rd car that you can actually just drive. IMO the SV is a 5th or 7th car. It's a god damn adventure to take that thing out and it's not good for much beyond an afternoon thrill ride. They are so different a half reasonable person could easily justify having both. :icon_mrgreen:

btw I don't recall Fortis ever being against turbos in the broad spectrum. iirc he just thought it was pointless to build 1500hp tuner cars. And can we all tone down the grammar pedantics, most of the time we know damn well what someone means and the 'gotcha' is pathetic.

As you know I have the highest respect for you, so i'll give you a pass for this error in judgment. LOL

But the SV isnt a 5th-7th car.........SMH ;)

Its a 2nd car at the worst, maybe a primary car. :)

If you need some SV lessons I'm happy to help.

I do agree that there are 5th and 7th cars, i love that line of thinking, i too believe that there is possibly a need for 20 cars or more!! :D

A good example of a 7th car is a Countach

And your comments about drag racing are 1000000% correct, we can build a drag car for less than the sales tax that would hand anyone of the cars we are discussing their ass. Lambos are NOT drag cars!!! However I do enjoy the videos and respect the 720 as a great car-5th or 6th haha!!!!! :P

all in good humor

best

eric :)