Home security

fmari

The more I think about it the more I am thinking about a safe. Sounds like a good idea. I am thinking about a gun safe cause I need at least 40inches tall and 20 Inches wide interior. That size in a normal safe is going to be crazy heavy. I think a quality gun safe will slow down any crooks long enough. Or am I wrong?

Any recommendations? Thanks again guys. Great info.

I don't have any recommendations other than make sure it is securely attached. Otherwise, they get taken and worked on later.

The more I think about it the more I am thinking about a safe. Sounds like a good idea. I am thinking about a gun safe cause I need at least 40inches tall and 20 Inches wide interior. That size in a normal safe is going to be crazy heavy. I think a quality gun safe will slow down any crooks long enough. Or am I wrong?

Get a keypad lock and it will take no time to get in since you are worried about ease of access. I have a Fort Knox with a keypad and couldn't be happier. Most new safes have internal plugs so you can power winders, lights, dehumifier rod, etc...

Get a keypad lock and it will take no time to get in since you are worried about ease of access. I have a Fort Knox with a keypad and couldn't be happier. Most new safes have internal plugs so you can power winders, lights, dehumifier rod, etc...

Cant say im a fan of digital locks, once you know how to use a dial they are pretty quick and as close to 100% failproof as you will get.

100yr old combo locks are still functioning.

If you want digital, i would have a dual setup with a dial backup. Having to drill out a $$$ safe would be terrible.

Cant say im a fan of digital locks, once you know how to use a dial they are pretty quick and as close to 100% failproof as you will get.

If you want digital, i would have a dual setup with a dial backup. Having to drill out a $$$ safe would be terrible.

:iamwithstupid:

Thoughts on safes...

Most decent lower priced "safes" are not true safes yet will protect against most "smash and grab" type of crooks. That is what most people will face with a break in.

If you are wealthy enough to be a target of a "professional" then all bets are off. Nothing short of real safe will slow them down. In most cases they will point a gun to your head and just ask for the combination. Then shoot you after it's open.

I would also have multiple safes. A hidden safe (like a floor safe) where your irreplaceable "ass watches" are kept and one for everything else. This is usually a safe that is visible.

If you are a victim of a home invasion or robbery when you are not home, they make only take whats in the safe you give them access too / they find.

Buy something that is high quality, cannot be moved, cannot be opened by the typical thief and has excellent fire protection.

Lastly, most consumer safes are junk. They spend more money on marketing than the quality of their product.

I recommend looking at the RF Series and other high end products from companies like this...

http://www.amsecusa.com/

Prevention is also important. Security camera's, alarms, dogs, etc will keep most "smash and grab" crooks away. They want the easiest target on the street. A pro will work around all those things.

I agree, dual setup is the perfect solution. That said, I was skeptical of the digital lock until I lived with one the past couple years. I access my Fort Knox at least once a week, I have had the safe over 2 years and have yet to change the battery on the lock. I was thinking I would have to change batteries all the time. Now if there is an EMP I am probably hosed, but I likely have bigger issues at that point. If that day comes, I won't have access to my important documents, watches, or my hunting guns, but my end of days guns are in a different safe with a traditional dial.