Thoughts opinions and observations on the LP 400 Countach

ralfabco

Anyone have an idea on the "current" value of this car ? It is a very rare car. I have seen virtually none of these cars forsale in the USA. Their is a yellow/tan car from LA, that pops up on ebay, from time to time. - That is the only car I have seen forsale.

I suppose published prices for these cars, can be thrown out the window ?

They only built around 150 cars. Their appears to be few cars in the USA. I would guess that a decent driver is worth around 100K ? Where does that leave a purrrfect no questions car ? Is the LP 400 worth that much more, than all the other Countach autos ? It certainly has appeal to move up in price. For some enthusiasts, this car is the only Countach they will consider. Their are not enough cars to satisfy demand.

......I never see these cars forsale.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd not get a Countach without air-conditioning, unless you like being boiled alive. The LP400 certainly doesn't have Air-con. The steeply raked windscreen and 45 degree sidescreens let in all the sunlight and the cabin heats up like a greenhouse in the sun. The side windows only open a couple of inches, not really enough to get decent airflow. If you live in a hot area, you will hate driving an LP400 for any length of time, trust me on this.

Air con isn't a luxury in a Countach, it's ESSENTIAL.

Unless you just wanna stick the car in a garage or museum.

first of all i believe LP400 have air con , i think almost every countach have it

lamborghini is air con pioneer, a lot of miura had it also

euro price for perfect cars are 100000 euro or more, these cars are rare

and very desirable for collectors, there were 2 in swiss, by affolter garage

give them a look ralf

www.lamborghini.ch

they are and will always be most expensive countach, i tell this as an S owner, but the appeal of the slim countach is so strong :heart:

I'd not get a Countach without air-conditioning, unless you like being boiled alive.  The LP400 certainly doesn't have Air-con.  The steeply raked windscreen and 45 degree sidescreens let in all the sunlight and the cabin heats up like a greenhouse in the sun.  The side windows only open a couple of inches, not really enough to get decent airflow.  If you live in a hot area, you will hate driving an LP400 for any length of time, trust me on this.

I rode my car on a fun run in Southern Texas, without any A.C. It can be done. I would not want to run the car all day without A.C. A.C. is a secondary consideration for me, when it comes to fun classic cars.

first of all i believe LP400 have air con , i think almost every countach have it

lamborghini is air con pioneer, a lot of miura had it also

euro price for perfect cars are 100000 euro or more, these cars are rare

and very desirable for collectors, there were 2 in swiss, by affolter garage  

give them a look ralf

www.lamborghini.ch

they are and will always be most expensive countach, i tell this as an S owner, but the appeal of the slim countach is so strong :heart:

Yes I know of those cars. I heard from a LP 400 owner in Monterey, that those cars in Europe, are not in excellent condition. However I do not see how I could import a car into the USA, without a lot of effort.

i heard the brown one is very good....who knows?

aniway i don't know how many of these cars are in the US or Canada, and

if owners really want to sell them, it could be difficult to find one good one for sale there, really hard...

there was a cheap LP400 for sale in the US, but it was a wallace biturbo , S conversion,

very very poor condition, not exactly a collector item,

if you want a project could make for you, otherwise i don't know other car, except one you said before on ebay

i heard the brown one is very good....who knows?

aniway i don't know how many of these cars are in the US or Canada, and  

if owners really want to sell them, it could be difficult to find one good one for sale there, really hard...

there was a cheap LP400 for sale in the US, but it was a wallace biturbo , S conversion,  

very very poor condition, not exactly a collector item,

if you want a project could make for you, otherwise i don't know other car, except one you said before on ebay

I understand someone in Florida, just bought two project cars. I do not know of any project cars in the USA.

Anyone know of a project car in the USA ? Where everything is with the car. No basket case in boxes. I would prefer a running car. All original - of course.

I'd not get a Countach without air-conditioning, unless you like being boiled alive.  The LP400 certainly doesn't have Air-con.  The steeply raked windscreen and 45 degree sidescreens let in all the sunlight and the cabin heats up like a greenhouse in the sun.  The side windows only open a couple of inches, not really enough to get decent airflow.  If you live in a hot area, you will hate driving an LP400 for any length of time, trust me on this.

Believe it or not, Countach AC is quite good if you simply put up the money to refresh it and make it right. My buddy's LP400 and my QV have excellent air con- which cost a few thou to make right, but it's not undoable. BTW Evans has a fabulous mod for the AC in Countach's and it works very well.

Before I overhauled my AC, I just took the sweat in stride - no doubt it was hot as hell, but so is a race car ! :lol:

Lp400 is only going to up in value. I predicted a year ago they'd become harder to find and go way up in value. Now look, it's already starting...they've become even harder to find. Prior to buying my 400s, I wanted and was looking for a 400. They were around but I couldn't afford the 90,000 and up that they were selling for. Only one for 90,000, the rest were well over 100,000. They're all gone now, except the brown one..I think. There are two that are not for sale but would trade for my car and cash. I'd do it in a heartbeat, I have the car but not the extra cash. The original lp400 is undoubtedly my favorite.

Hey Go Mifune

What does the Evans mod consist of?

The mod is a larger fan fit into the system to imcrease airflow across the AC coils, and a basic overhaul of the lines and fittings. I don't think the original lines were very good, and consequently leak pretty badly on most Countaches. Mine were shot.

So, there are two things - one is to simply refresh the system and make it right, the second is the improvement of the fan. If the system is solid and fresh but stock, it will put out plenty of cold temp but not a lot of airflow. The Evans mod makes all the difference in the world with the aditional airflow.

Later CT's addressed this a bit with more vents and a larger fan I think (mine is an '85, with only the two vents in the middle).

Ironically on really hot humid days I can't run the fan on the highest speed because the coils are too wet (working very well) and I get a little spray - middle speed results in cold air, adequate cooling, and no spray.

Overall, starting with a completely shot system (but a good compressor), it wasn't that terribly expensive... a couple thou for the whole shot. You gotta remember how badly buried the lines are, and to replace them is a b*tch. The fan mod alone was around $750. It makes an absolute world of difference in driving the car through the summer (and the engine is so powerful, you never even notice the drag of the compressor).

My a/c does not work. I recharged it with r-12 (yes, I still have r-12 and a machine to recover, evacuate, vacuum, recycle, and recharge). No apparent leaks, now its wiring. Compressor is set but the wires t the reciever dryer is not. It's not important to me as I don't enjoy driving any car in hot and or humid weather. Horsepower weather is right around the corner from Sept. on. :thumb

Believe it or not' date=' Countach AC is quite good if you simply put up the money to refresh it and make it right. [/qote']

ferruccio had also an house air cond factory, he was one of the first who believes air con had to become a series feature for sport and luxury cars

Nobody seemed to answer what I was trying to get at. WHAT IS THE PRICE OF A SUPERB ORIGINAL LP 400 ? Of course internet conversations easily get off track.

This car appears to be worth more, than the downdraft QV car in the USA.

Given that a driver is worth around 100K, is a superb car pushing 200K+ ???? :shock: How many really superb cars are floating around the USA ? :( - Not many.

What a rare car. This car may explode in value. I think it will end up neck and neck, with the Miura SV.

Ralph, I've found two other LP400 cars for sale in Europe, You've got a pm.

However I do not see how I could import a car into the USA, without a lot of effort.

Just move to Europe, Tommy suggested this to You many times. ;)

Nobody seemed to answer what I was trying to get at.    WHAT IS THE PRICE OF A SUPERB ORIGINAL LP 400 ?     Of course internet conversations easily get off track.

This car appears to be worth more, than the downdraft QV car in the USA.

Given that a driver is worth around 100K, is a superb car pushing 200K+ ????  :shock:     How many really superb cars are floating around the USA ?  :(  - Not many.

What a rare car.   This car may explode in value.    I think it will end up neck and neck, with the Miura SV.

you are right, for me euro price for a real perfect car is around 110000 euro, even more, but they are growing quickly, hurry up

they are already +30% more than a carb QV in europe, but not already close to a miura SV: 200000 euro at least

don't know much of the US market for these cars, but i don't think there are many LP400 there..... :?:

Go mifune, did you get a replacement high powered fan for your CT, I am trying to upgrade my 84 CT, so far new compressor/drier, much better but really need a high output fan

I understand someone in Florida, just bought two project cars. I do not know of any project cars in the USA.

Anyone know of a project car in the USA ? Where everything is with the car. No basket case in boxes. I would prefer a running car. All original - of course.

there was one at Ulitmate Motors - see here

http://www.ultimatemotors.com/restoration.cfm?RT=

...there was one at Ulitmate Motors  - see here

I recall seeing that particular CT at Ultimate around 2002-2003. One of the sales managers pulled the cover off it while taking the wife and I on a tour of the facility. That car, at the time, was in extremely rough shape -- and I think it was just the body/frame/chassis only with a little of the original blue paint left. Not sure if they still have it though...

Ralph, I've found two other LP400 cars for sale in Europe, You've got a pm.

However I do not see how I could import a car into the USA, without a lot of effort.

Just move to Europe, Tommy suggested this to You many times. ;)

Thanks Piotr:

No problem. You can put my fat ass, in the back of Tommy's French gurlzzz aerobic TV show :mrgreen: :shock: . I love Europe. It is just toooo expensive :lol: :lol: :lol: .

My friend in Houston (who already owns a Diablo), is all over me to sell him my 89 Countach. If push comes to shove, and he purchases my car, I would be thrilled to find a LP400.

Go mifune, did you get a replacement high powered fan for your CT, I am trying to upgrade my 84 CT, so far new compressor/drier, much better but really need a high output fan

Yes Terry - George Evans' shop built a new "squirrel cage" and larger fan assembly and fit it to my existing system. Worlds of difference.

Ralph - sorry about the thread divergence ! I reckon you're absolutely right -I think teh LP400 will become the next Miura in value terms, with the downdraft close behind it. Right now I'd plan on shelling out a good $125 for a strong driver with good cosmetics, but I haven't been following closely.

PS - All of you need to remember that 21 years is the EPA limit and 25 years is the DoT limit - anything over 25 years old you can import at will with no restrictions or changes. Now if only the Euro would drop again !

Thanks, any Idea of price and how to contact them ?

I think it was around $750 for the mod..... Evans Auto 614-471-7535 (ask for George).... That's in the US (I forget the country code). I'll dig up their email for your you if you have problems with the phone.