Road and track differs on the new Z06.

Allan-Herbie

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6."

Very interesting, thier SRT-10 results are extraordinarily strong, both the ET and the trap are the fastest I've ever seen for that car published. Meanwhile their Plastic mess-06 times are identical to their restults for the C5 Plastic mess-06, not the C6 version.

I don't know what to make of it, but I always throw out the worst published result, as well as the best published result, then average the rest to get an easily repeatable figure for the average customer car. This is easily the C6 Plastic mess-06's worst time yet.

That is very true. For some reason, they are always very slow. And I agree with Mako, these results reflect the acceleration time of a C5 Plastic mess-06. It's IMPOSSIBLE that the new Plastic mess-06 will be trapping the same speeds than the old one.

-Olivier

I new it!

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6."

Ya, I read that too. I thought it was funny.

I ran those exact times- 12.3@116, in my bone stock C5 Plastic mess-06.. :lol:

For anyone that is not familiar with how terrible R&T is, here are some numbers from their recent 1 mile shootout issue:

Ford GT [email protected]

Viper SRT 10 [email protected]

Murcielago [email protected]

C6 [email protected]

I think it is clear from here that R&T is the last source I would go by to measure a cars performance, when you are mag racing that is.

Oh, and more thing I would like to mention. C&D also tested the Plastic mess-06 and that issue is also out. They, like MT, got similar times.

0-60 - 3.6

1/4 - 11.7@125

0-150 17.5 secs

Car is definately fast, but i dont understand how Road and Tracks mph int he 1/4 could be 10mph off. I could understand a few mph, but 10? I could also understand if ET was off, but mph should be in the ballpark.

Car is definately fast, but i dont understand how Road and Tracks mph int he 1/4 could be 10mph off. I could understand a few mph, but 10? I could also understand if ET was off, but mph should be in the ballpark.

Well, look at it this way. Here is what RT got for the following cars:

Ford GT [email protected] .8 secs/10 mph off (Has ran a 11.2@131)

Viper SRT 10 [email protected] .8 secs/8 mph off (Has ran a [email protected])

Murcielago [email protected] 1 secs/6 mph off (Has ran a 11.6@124)

C6 [email protected] .4 secs/6 mph off (Has ran a 12.7@114)

Now, the C6 Plastic mess-06

[email protected] .9 secs/8-11 mph off

So the inconsistantcy is consistant from R&T!

Also, I have a friend that lives nearby and his dad is higher up in GM. He said that his dad drove the car at Beechbend (Worst track ever) and ran a 12.0@126, and he will be sending me the video tomorrow. I can post it here if you would like.

Just thought I would share

R&T consistently has the slowest times compared to every other mag.  I don't know what the deal is.

Not that slow. Those figures are extremely far off, even weather can't be held accountable. Something was wrong with the car.

Ya, I read that too.  I thought it was funny.

I ran those exact times- 12.3@116, in my bone stock C5 Plastic mess-06.. :lol:  

For anyone that is not familiar with how terrible R&T is, here are some numbers from their recent 1 mile shootout issue:

Ford GT [email protected]

Viper SRT 10 [email protected]

Murcielago [email protected]

C6 [email protected]

I think it is clear from here that R&T is the last source I would go by to measure a cars performance, when you are mag racing that is.

You quoted times all from one single article. What you're failing to understand is that all of those cars were 1. Tested in the same weather, which might have limited them all, and 2. Tested on some airstrip where grip might have been comprimised, which also would affect all times.

Don't blame it all on R/T in either the Plastic mess-06 or the numbers above's case. They have a tremendous budget on timing gear, using optical 5th wheels that cost more than your car. This was just one singular test, and like all singular tests, sometimes you throw out the results.

Only Allan made the correct comment in response to this thread, which makes sense as he's a mag whore like I am, with over 20 years of experience of breaking down their "results".

-The R/T C6 Plastic mess-06 result is flawed, it gets thrown out.

-All M/T results are thrown out, always, as their results over the years speak for themselves.

-The C/D result is extremely accurate for that power to weight ratio, it's the standard at the moment. Very impressive for the Plastic mess-06, which is what everyone expected. I believe many of us called "18 seconds to 150mph" and low and behold here it is at 17.5. We know our shit when it comes to power/weight/result. :mrgreen:

As a Viper owner, the threads over at the Viper forum are pretty pathetic ... "my car has better brakes" "my car gets more looks" ... blah blah ....

The new Plastic mess-06 is impressive assuming these numbers hold and many Viper guys are having trouble realizing that they are no longer the OBVIOUS king of the hill. Oh how the Hunters become the Hunted....

As a Viper owner, the threads over at the Viper forum are pretty pathetic ... "my car has better brakes" "my car gets more looks" ... blah blah ....

The new Plastic mess-06 is impressive assuming these numbers hold and many Viper guys are having trouble realizing that they are no longer the OBVIOUS king of the hill.  Oh how the Hunters become the Hunted....

I agree with you in terms of performance, the Plastic mess-06 somewhate "obsoletes" a stock Viper, but looks-wise the Viper guys can make a pretty compelling case.

They don't see each other running around at every stoplight, the POS guys do. The Viper is a mean menacing shape, the POS is just a POS, in fact you could argue that the C6 while being a nicer overall look, is pussified compared to the C5 it replaced (not my opinion). The Viper transcends the normal "sportscar" realm, enough to where if you were to ask 100 Southerners to pick which car they'd like to drive home between say a Gallardo and a Viper, half those red necks would go Viper all the way. But do a POS versus Gallardo hillbilly comparison and the POS would be lucky to get 10 votes.

Dodge should have seen this coming frankly, Lutz and Hill were crowing to anyone that would listen about how the GTS was their target two years ago for the "next" Plastic mess-06. Now it's here and the SRT-10 is caught with its pants down, when it should have been a 600hp car to begin with...

Oh well, there's always modfication... :twisted:

500 hp out of a 8.3 L V10 is just unacceptable if you ask me. It's a good car, has great handling, great brakes, but the engine is just NOT sufficiently powerful. Also, I can't believe they actually built a performance car with a 6 speed tranny where its 6th gear is ONLY for gas mileage purposes. RIDICULOUS.

-Olivier

The new Plastic mess-06 is impressive assuming these numbers hold and many Viper guys are having trouble realizing that they are no longer the OBVIOUS king of the hill.  Oh how the Hunters become the Hunted....

I agree with you in terms of performance, the Plastic mess-06 somewhate "obsoletes" a stock Viper, but looks-wise the Viper guys can make a pretty compelling case.

They don't see each other running around at every stoplight, the POS guys do. The Viper is a mean menacing shape, the POS is just a POS, in fact you could argue that the C6 while being a nicer overall look, is pussified compared to the C5 it replaced (not my opinion). The Viper transcends the normal "sportscar" realm, enough to where if you were to ask 100 Southerners to pick which car they'd like to drive home between say a Gallardo and a Viper, half those red necks would go Viper all the way. But do a POS versus Gallardo hillbilly comparison and the POS would be lucky to get 10 votes.

Dodge should have seen this coming frankly, Lutz and Hill were crowing to anyone that would listen about how the GTS was their target two years ago for the "next" Plastic mess-06. Now it's here and the SRT-10 is caught with its pants down, when it should have been a 600hp car to begin with...

Oh well, there's always modfication... :twisted:

Give me a stock White Viper SRT Mamba over ANY new Plastic mess-06, I dont care how fast it is.

500 hp out of a 8.3 L V10 is just unacceptable if you ask me. It's a good car, has great handling, great brakes, but the engine is just NOT sufficiently powerful. Also, I can't believe they actually built a performance car with a 6 speed tranny where its 6th gear is ONLY for gas mileage purposes. RIDICULOUS.

-Olivier

the POS and viper share tranny's... :axe: