A/C compressor failure. Is this common?

Blue-V10

I just found out I have a bad A/C compressor that needs to be replaced on my 2004 Gallardo at 6700 miles.

It is a $1000 part and 4 hours labor. Have any other owners had failed compressors?

The car just wouldn't blow cool air and the dealer found the compressor wasn't generating pressure.

I have a 05 same problem.... had mine repaired under warranty about 2 months ago.. works fine now :)

I just found out I have a bad A/C compressor that needs to be replaced on my 2004 Gallardo at 6700 miles.

It is a $1000 part and 4 hours labor. Have any other owners had failed compressors?

The car just wouldn't blow cool air and the dealer found the compressor wasn't generating pressure.

Wow that sucks..I'd push the dealer to try and get it covered under warranty. On occasions Lamborghini will make excpetions.

Good Luck!

Hey I posted about a similar issue earlier but got little response. How did the A/C let go? Meaning did it go over time getting less and less efficient or in one day just quit? I have had intermittent A/C function in recent weeks. I have a petition to Lambo to cover it under warranty as it just ran out April 10th, 2007. But until then, I was curious how things went for you. Any information would be great! Thank you!

Adam

This happened to my car and was changed under warranty as well...

ditto, the drier comes apart and screws up the rest of the system....did anyone have hot air blowing when driving if the ac was off? i was like wtf is going on while i was sweating my ass off.

ditto, the drier comes apart and screws up the rest of the system....did anyone have hot air blowing when driving if the ac was off? i was like wtf is going on while i was sweating my ass off.

I've had two in mine, both times it went the week before Le-mans. On my third now and it seems to have been OK for the last 9 months or so.

Hey I posted about a similar issue earlier but got little response. How did the A/C let go? Meaning did it go over time getting less and less efficient or in one day just quit? I have had intermittent A/C function in recent weeks. I have a petition to Lambo to cover it under warranty as it just ran out April 10th, 2007. But until then, I was curious how things went for you. Any information would be great! Thank you!

Adam

I just starting sweating balls and did'nt figure out anything was wrong till I opened my door in 90 degree weather and it felt cooler outside....Next time I was in the car it was night but I could feel warm air and when I turned up the ac that is when I realized something was wrong...To basically answer your question I think the ac just let go at once.

Adam

Over a year ago, I had a failure of the fan in front of the condenser in the front spoiler. The car would show higher water temp when stopped in traffic and there was no fan noise from the front right.

The A/C wouldn't come on either. It just blew outside air. Once that was fixed, A/C worked fine. I think there was a short fixed and fuse replaced.

Now, the A/C just suddenly wouldn't blow cold air. It worked perfectly until it failed. I wonder if there might have been some damage to it when the car's fan failed

in the past. Did it pump against too high a pressure or temp? Might the car's 8000rpm speed be too much for the compressors?

I have been known to run up to 8000 with the A/C on!

I had same problem intermittently. LOC told me it was

in switching mechanism and eventually I would have to have ENTIRE

compressor replaced.

SOLUTION............ I NEVER turn a/c off. This has worked

for over a year since the mech told me this info.

SOLUTION............ I NEVER turn a/c off. This has worked

for over a year since the mech told me this info.

:iamwithstupid:

Do it in all my cars, never any problems, knock on wood :)

• 2 years later...

My compressor died as well. Waiting on parts.

I have always had my AC on, then the other day I tried to hit the "ECON" button to see if it would help with the fog forming on the outside of the windshield like suggested in another thread. The next day my AC died. Not sure if it's related or coincidence.

Call 800-581-0312, and ask for Jim, the manager. Jim has a place they can send A/C compressors to, even for exotics, that will be able to repair them at a fraction of the cost. They told me before I sold the business to the new owners that "there wasnt a compressor they cant fix", and so far 9 months later I've heard nothing but good when I chat with them. No affiliation with me, and I dont know where they are again I cant remember but Jim surely can help with the info.

My compressor died as well. Waiting on parts.

I have always had my AC on, then the other day I tried to hit the "ECON" button to see if it would help with the fog forming on the outside of the windshield like suggested in another thread. The next day my AC died. Not sure if it's related or coincidence.

Wow, I've never had a problem on my 06 after 13.5K miles....and I'm switching between auto, manual a/c and econ all the time. Is this something unique to earlier G's?

Wow, I've never had a problem on my 06 after 13.5K miles....and I'm switching between auto, manual a/c and econ all the time. Is this something unique to earlier G's?

+1

The ac system makes the cabin really cold in no time, that I switch it to econ frequently.

Is it a bad practice? does it make the compressor go early?

I only have 40,000 miles on my 05. :icon_thumleft:

The compressor will relieve pressure from the system if the pressure gets to high. When this happens you will see a fog like cloud come from the engine bay on the left middle sid of the car near the fire wall.

As far as the compressor going bad in 04 cars this is a common issue. The wable plate locks up and then the clutch on the compressor goes bad. If the compresser goes bad it is highly recommended to replace the accumulator and clean out the F.O.T. By doing this, you may add about 2- 3 hour on top of the 4 hours for the compressor.

I replaced many compressors when I was at the dealership. 04 was not the only MY that had issues with the compressor. For the most part the system works great. As far as damage due to the right fan going bad it is extremely hard to say that this could have damaged the compressor. If anything you would have seen the system relief pressure as I explained.

Swift is correct in his post. The normal malfuntion is the plate inside the comp. changes angles to make the presure. If the plate gets stuck

then the comp. can not make the pressure it needs to make cold air. The other failure the comp. can come apart. Debree in system there will be a gry slime in the sysytem. This is when you must replace the accumulator and clean or replace FOT. Good to replace any time the comp is replaced. If the right front radiator fan stops working this will affect the way the a/c works as the fan also cooles the a/c condensor.

If this is the issue the a/c will blow cold during high speed driving due to air flow on the condensor. Some time they can leak the r-134 and they wont blow cold but this will happen over time. If it is just a stuck plate if you tap on the comp. with the car running and a/c on alot of times the system will start working. It can stay working fro some time or untill the next time you turn the engine off. The early cars are more prone to have this issues but they can happen on later ones also.

Not sure why my went bad. They said they are replacing compressor and dryer. Anyways it's warranty, but they are charging me some labor due to extra work because of some lines for my turbo system being in the way.

• 2 years later...

I'm having AC issues with my 04 right now as well. It won't blow cold, I refilled the freon and it still isn't working. Recently on the climate control the ECON button is always lit up (wasn't doing this before) even if I press it it wont shut off. I'm thinking it needs a compressor. Any input?