Countach LP 400 no.1 engine

Albert-LP

First LP 400 production prototype (the green one you can see at Lamborghini factory Museum) is undergoing a full engine rebuilt.

I saw the engine re-assembly at Salvioli's shop where there was my car for maintenance. They changed everything inside the engine.

I'm sorry, i had not the phone with me so there are no pictures, but the engine looks like mine 5000 S but has magnesium cam covers and cilinders block (and may be oil sump too, i do not remember): it's lighter and precious.

All LP400 engine are made of magnesium or just this prototype?

ctn1verde.jpg[/url]

Thanks for the great info. I wonder why, though?

Why rebuild a car that sits in the show room, is somthing in the works for a future appearence?

Lamborghini sometimes gives a museum car to Vallentino Balboni to partecipate some supercar meeting, as he did with the museum silver Countach 25 th and other cars like 35O GT.

May be they are preparing for some 50 th birthday events-meetings: now that engine (ang gearbox) is brand new and can go everywhere...

ciao

First LP 400 production prototype (the green one you can see at Lamborghini factory Museum) is undergoing a full engine rebuilt.

I saw the engine re-assembly at Salvioli's shop where there was my car for maintenance. They changed everything inside the engine.

I'm sorry, i had not the phone with me so there are no pictures, but the engine looks like mine 5000 S but has magnesium cam covers and cilinders block (and may be oil sump too, i do not remember): it's lighter and precious.

All LP400 engine are made of magnesium or just this prototype?

ctn1verde.jpg[/url]

Albert

early LP400 (some 20 ?? cars) had the lighter and expensive elektron parts,

it is a magnesium alloy

then they went with less "problematic" alluminum parts for the remaining LP400 cars

there was an LP400 owner member here that had one of these "light" LP

BTW: the LP400 was designed to be a limited production ultimate performance machine

the goal was to make it a 1000 Kgs car (...even if they did not manage to make it THAT light)

the car was not intented at the beginning to be a model for many years to come but a showcase of advanced tecnology to make it the fastest road legal sport car of the era

they planned to built just few cars

many parts in the LP400 were built as light as possible (magnesium wheels, elektron parts, thin glasses...even the body panels are thinner than later models!!)

with the time countach became heavier and heavier, but it is interesting to note that 400S cars still had some of the light parts (like magnesium campagnolo rims etc..)

as we all know LP400S S1 S2 are lighter than later cars, but i think that an LP400S S3 is still a bit lighter than a 5000S, that the 5000S is still a bit under the QVs weight

and, as we all know, the 25th is quite a bit heavier than a QV

Albert we will have to weight our cars and Alex's QV one day! ;)

BTW: the LP400 was designed to be a limited production ultimate performance machine

the goal was to make it a 1000 Kgs car (...even if they did not manage to make it THAT light)

the car was not intented at the beginning to be a model for many years to come but a showcase of advanced tecnology to make it the fastest road legal sport car of the era

many parts in the LP400 were built as light as possible (magnesium wheels, elektron parts, thin glasses...even the body panels are thinner than later models!!)

with the time countach became heavier and heavier, but it is interesting to note that 400S cars still had some of the light parts (like magnesium campagnolo rims etc..)

as we all know LP400S S1 S2 are lighter than later cars, but i think that an LP400S S3 is still a bit lighter than a 5000S, that the 5000S is still a bit under the QVs weight

you make me think LP400 is a real scrap: my it's heavier but despite this it's fragile like a glass, i guess you can not even touch an LP 400 without destroying it... :lol2:

i'm joking, but i think there is a bit of truth in my words...

Emilio, very very interesting to know they went to so much effort back then!

Have been wondering why not someone have weighted each of the models to find the correct weight of them. So, why dont you owners out there top up the fuel and liquids, and weight the cars so one can be sure what is right?

Have been wondering why not someone have weighted each of the models to find the correct weight of them. So, why dont you owners out there top up the fuel and liquids, and weight the cars so one can be sure what is right?

...to fill both thanks i must sell in advance the car to have enough money for the gasoline... :lol2:

it's difficult to weight the car: i should remove the rear wing as my car has the big wing that is heavier than Quattrovalvole and Anniversary wing.

but this is a good idea: i will try as soon as possible.

you make me think LP400 is a real scrap: my it's heavier but despite this it's fragile like a glass, i guess you can not even touch an LP 400 without destroying it... :lol2:

i'm joking, but i think there is a bit of truth in my words...

:)

joke aside the LP400 body is VERY fragile!!

you can bend it easily

...to fill both thanks i must sell in advance the car to have enough money for the gasoline... :lol2:

it's difficult to weight the car: i should remove the rear wing as my car has the big wing that is heavier than Quattrovalvole and Anniversary wing.

but this is a good idea: i will try as soon as possible.

we should weight all our countach!!

the issue is mine will have to be finished...so i am guessing 2012 ...a pity it is also the year of the end of the world! ;)

we should weight all our countach!!

the issue is mine will have to be finished...so i am guessing 2012 ...a pity it is also the year of the end of the world! ;)

2012? that's impossible: GB will need at least 20 years to end your car... :icon_mrgreen:

if it is getting new pistons then you should ask to have one of the originals!!!

(and get one for me too)

My 84 5000S was weighed a couple of years ago, it tipped the scales at 3250 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel. The owners manual claims 3285 lbs with a full tank.

Cheers Jim

My 84 5000S was weighed a couple of years ago, it tipped the scales at 3250 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel. The owners manual claims 3285 lbs with a full tank.

Cheers Jim

Thanks, Jim

this is the Countach LP 400 engine n.1. Pictures were taken today: not only the engine, but also hubs are made by magnesium.

04032011010.jpg

04032011008.jpg

04032011009.jpg

04032011011.jpg

ciao