Thoughts on an Acura NSX

Destructo

I can't seem to shake the new car bug, and the Acura NSX caught my eye...a little rich for my blood at the moment, but if i found one for the right price. What years were best for this car and why? Thoughts and suggestions i would like to hear. Thanks in advance.

I just can't see the reasoning behind buying one. I know I'm not an owner and can't give you advice like Mako will tell me I'm sure. Just like the new one due in a year or so. 290bhp for $100,000. No thanks.

He's talking about a used one ryan, the NSX went out of production earlier this year so there aren't many new ones left. Agree with your take though, can't see anyone spending $80k (what the new ones went for after discounts) on a new NSX versus the alternatives in that price range (Esprit V8, 997 S, etc).

Destructo: If you do go down the NSX path, go with a 97+.

Most people underestimate what 290HP can do for you in a NSX. Drive one and you will see. That is the only way. On paper the car looks crappy. It is not a rocketship, but it is still plenty fast for daily driving and track time.

Destructo, like I said in the other post, if you want to keep it mostly stock, go fo a 97+. They are wonderful cars. The downsides are very expensive clutches and the Drive-by-wire doesn't feel as good as the older cars.

The biggest problem with buying a NSX these days is finding one. There are just not very many around - At least on the east coast.

Acura only made between 200 and 250 97+ cars per year.

hmmm...food for thought. Perhaps a Supra then, atleast something i could make some big HP numbers with? Thanks guys, you rule, everyone here knows some good info :)

hmmm...food for thought. Perhaps a Supra then, atleast something i could make some big HP numbers with? Thanks guys, you rule, everyone here knows some good info :)

Big HP numbers are possible with the NSX, but you need BIG money and lots of time to do it. If that is what you are after, the supra is a better choice -- of course they are so rediculously overpricfed it is INSANE.

Big HP numbers are possible with the NSX, but you need BIG money and lots of time to do it. If that is what you are after, the supra is a better choice -- of course they are so rediculously overpricfed it is INSANE.

What are the odds then of finding a fairly stock supra to which to make a monster, and what price range should i be looking for?

my friend just picked up a stock 1997 Red 6speed supra with like 60,000 miles on it for $26,000.

I got my 1994 TT 6spd with 80,000 miles on it for $22 k with a few upgrades.

If you want an automatic, expect to pay between 15-low 20's for a tt version. 6-speed is high teens and up.

Another idea would be to get a non-turbo and turbo it. You can pick up a non-turbo 5-speed for about 10-15 k. Then, you are looking at roughly 5 k or so for the new motor, possible tranny. I would only do this if you are on a budget. The TT comes with bigger brakes, and the 6-spped.

I see the supra as an investment though ;) It's a collectors car, and we (as owners) control the market.

My friend just sold his 1997 6speed with a few upgrades for $55,000 (but then again, his car had 8,000 miles on it!!!!).

Oh well... good luck dude ;)

Edit: Figured you might be interested in this: http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...8295&highlight=

it's my latest dyno ;)

Extremely outdated car in my opinion. Cute for its time, but waaaay behind these days.

-Ben

Extremely outdated car in my opinion. Cute for its time, but waaaay behind these days.

-Ben

Yeah, but you haven't driven MARKO's Supra....that'll make you want to sell your Diablo!

;) :lol:

-Ben

Yeah, but you haven't driven MARKO's Supra....that'll make you want to sell your Diablo!

Supra could have 2000hp, and i wouldnt trade a 91 DIablo for it.

my friend just picked up a stock 1997 Red 6speed supra with like 60,000 miles on it for $26,000.

I got my 1994 TT 6spd with 80,000 miles on it for $22 k with a few upgrades.

If you want an automatic, expect to pay between 15-low 20's for a tt version. 6-speed is high teens and up.

Another idea would be to get a non-turbo and turbo it. You can pick up a non-turbo 5-speed for about 10-15 k. Then, you are looking at roughly 5 k or so for the new motor, possible tranny. I would only do this if you are on a budget. The TT comes with bigger brakes, and the 6-spped.

I see the supra as an investment though ;) It's a collectors car, and we (as owners) control the market.

My friend just sold his 1997 6speed with a few upgrades for $55,000 (but then again, his car had 8,000 miles on it!!!!).

Oh well... good luck dude ;)

Edit: Figured you might be interested in this: http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...8295&highlight=

it's my latest dyno ;)

Looking on autotrader around atlanta I am not seeing anything in those price ranges. They are all a lot more for something decent.

-Ben

Supra could have 2000hp, and i wouldnt trade a 91 DIablo for it.

I said it in sarcasm Allan....

Don't confuse me with those other guys please!

I have always loved the NSX . I dont know if i would take it over an Esprit for a weekend car but for every day use it doesn't get any better than the NSX. Exclusive, reliable, and the quality is 2nd to none. I really like the practical yet exotic looks of them. Not many car's have been able to pull off that look but the NSX does it with the best of them.

Looking on autotrader around atlanta I am not seeing anything in those price ranges. They are all a lot more for something decent.

I flew from south florida to New Jersey to find my car ;) Finding a "bargain" locally is a lot harder than finding one across the entire country.

I would search E-bay, Autotrader, Supraforums, as well as any other local forum you could find. Also, word of mouth is a good way to find deals.

Good luck ;)

I have always loved the NSX . I dont know if i would take it over an Esprit for a weekend car but for every day use it doesn't get any better than the NSX. Exclusive, reliable, and the quality is 2nd to none. I really like the practical yet exotic looks of them. Not many car's have been able to pull off that look but the NSX does it with the best of them.

I'll never sell mine for the same reasons, they really are like Honda Accords. Never spent a dime on it, ever, beyond normal maintenance. It will always be my reliable beater. :mrgreen:

I love the NSX as well, damn fine looking car and awesome reliability for how close they are to an "exotic" car. I would definitely drive the hell out of one, in fact I almost bought one before i found my TA (NSX was out of price range at 38K for a 93 or 94). :)

Most people underestimate what 290HP can do for you in a NSX. Drive one and you will see. That is the only way. On paper the car looks crappy. It is not a rocketship, but it is still plenty fast for daily driving and track time.

yep, haven't driven one but been in one going hard. spent a lot more time in Lambos and Ferraris but the NSX is one impressive car, and then when just cruising around town if you want you can forget you're even in something that good if you want because it's as easy to drive and manouvre through traffic as it's crappy cousin the civic.

yep, haven't driven one but been in one going hard. spent a lot more time in Lambos and Ferraris but the NSX is one impressive car, and then when just cruising around town if you want you can forget you're even in something that good if you want because it's as easy to drive and manouvre through traffic as it's crappy cousin the civic.

Thats cool. NSX are VERY rare in australia. They cost an insane amount.

Thats cool. NSX are VERY rare in australia. They cost an insane amount.

when they were new yes, late 90's i think they got to $250-300k :shock: in comparison last i checked a Gallardo is $450k+...

nowadays $50-100k gets you into one, similar price point to an Elise or 328, which is decent for how rare they are, i know of about 6 or 7 in my city, i'm guessing 50-70 in the country???

supras and skylines on the other hand, i keep hearing them talked about in reverence on yank car boards, those things are dime-a-dozen here, every 17yo lebanese kid werking at mcdonalds has one.

NSX, sure it's a little outdated. But one thing about the car that is key is that

it will not cost you a arm and a leg to drive. Service on the vehicle is the same as a Honda Accord or Acura TL. I t's not $800.00 like the first service on the Lambo.

To be honest, to find a NSX is just like finding a well keep Supra. They are both great cars and very reliable. To find a clean one is not so easy!!! Take your time and do your homework.

Now here is a little tip that the Supra boys don't have --

1995-1997 NSX have a emissions extension warranty through Acura for

14-years or 150,000 miles whatever comes first. So, what that means is if the check engine light comes on or TCS light. 98% of the time the repair will be covered under warranty. How nice is that!!! Also if you buy a high mileage NSX

at 75,000 miles you qualify for a free tune up. Free platinum spark plugs --

Just a little something to think about..

1995-1997 NSX have a emissions extension warranty through Acura for  

14-years or 150,000 miles whatever comes first. So, what that means is if the check engine light comes on or TCS light.  98% of the time the repair will be covered under warranty. How nice is that!!! Also if you buy a high mileage NSX  

at 75,000 miles you qualify for a free tune up. Free platinum spark plugs --

Just a little something to think about..

I have never heard any of that. Where are you getting that info from?

I have some friends that work in Service at a Acura dealer in Illinois.

other Acura's that are in that year bracket qualify also. Honda also has that

available for some models those years also. The key is the vehicle has to have

to OEM parts currently installed in the vehicle. Can't have race this and rice

rocket that type items installed. But hey if the car is stock your golden!!!