How cute

Allan-Herbie

Story from Fcrap:

It's a beautiful day in North Carolina today. I woke up this morning and put on my suit and tie for church. It was such a nice morning I decided I'd drive my red Ferrari 328.

I did a few laps around town since I was running a little early, and I rarely drive the car in a suite, so it was interesting to get a few extra curious stares-- especially from the guys and families in the mini-vans, obviously on their way to church somewhere too.

I was a little concerned about finding a decent parking space at church, so I decided to wheel in a few minutes extra early. The church was already packed but I saw a few orange cones near a set of steps used to mark the way for pedestrians. There was a late-model Kia parked near one of the cones, so it left just enough room to squeek the 328 into a comfortable space.

As I was backing into the spot, an elderly man with a cane was staring a hole through me. I stopped the car and took a careful look in all directions of my blind spots, thinking I might be about to run over his wife on her walker or something. There was no one there so I pushed the gas pedal and struggled against the steering wheel to maneuver the car into place. From behind my sunshades, I kept glancing up at the elderly man to see him still staring. Was he some kind of "cone superintendant" or something?

I shut the engine off as curious churchgoers walked by from the Sunday school classes. Many of them spoke to the old man but he didn't deliver any responses. He just kept staring in my direction as I closed the Ferrari door with a tight snap and walked up the steps in front of him that lead into the chapel.

"That's one hell of a car," he said. "That's the prettiest car I've ever seen."

I was relieved that he wasn't going to scold me about my parking space, and even that he wasn't an angel himself scolding me for my audacity of going to church after another Saturday night of hedonism.

"Thank you, sir," I replied, and stood beside him looking back at the car. It was just waxed yesterday and the freshly cleaned tires stood boldly black against the shining Rosso Corso. I now knew why he was staring so intently.

It was only 10:40, and there's nothing worse than sitting around in church thumbing through the chapel bulletins before service, so I looked at him and said, "Want to go for a ride?"

Ordinarily, you'd think I would have seen some expression of surprise on his face, but he seemed so hypnotized by the car that he quickly said without flinching, "Hell, yes!"

I would have offered to let him drive, but he hobbled a little with his cane as he rushed off to the car and he immediately went for the shotgun door, so I decided he'd get as much enjoyment out of riding as driving.

For a gentleman who obviously has some degree of trouble getting around, in his excitement, he had no problems at all dropping himself into the beige leather passenger seat of the Ferrari. As I rounded the nose of the car and saw his cane sticking out of the targa top, I wondered if he'd have the same grace when trying to get out.

The engine was plenty warm and fired off like a race car when I turned the key. He smiled immediately and when I jammed the shifter into first and zipped away he looked like a little boy off on his first roller-coaster ride. I wasn't going to spoil his pleasure so I revved the motor through 7500 rpms and threw it into 2nd.

I don't know if the old man had dentures, but I gave the car all she had and at the next 7500 rpms, as I threw the transmission into third, the man's head and jaw dropped toward the back of the headrest. He put his right hand fingers into his mouth like he was re-seating some false teeth or something, but I didn't let that stop me and raced the engine toward the red line again. When he dropped his arm from his mouth I could see his smile was still glowing.

We had just blasted off and we were already approaching 85 and the road in front of us was wide open. We reached 100, 110, 115. When were up to 120 the engine was screaming and the wind was whipping our hair. I held the throttle and watched the old man, his eyes fixed on the road and the smile fixed on his face. I knew we were both enjoying about as much fun as you can possibly have in the final minutes before church on a Sunday morning. When went on a little further and then I took my foot off the throttle and the tight engine gurgled as she came back to ground.

"Whewwwww!" he said, and he tapped his cane onto the floorboard with excitement. "I haven't felt that good since 1965!"

It was a great ride, and a testament to the any number of things that can happen to you when you're out driving your Ferrari, even on a simple ride to church on a Sunday morning.

A few minutes later we were backing into the same small spot in front of the chapel steps behind the orange cone. It was one of those special moments in life when there isn't much that has to be said. We just looked at each other and shared that special Ferrari grin.

I switched off the ignition and the monster came to rest. I popped out of my seat and snapped the driver's door behind me and made my way around the tailpipes to the passenger side.

Out first came the cane, which he extended to me like a rope. He grabbed the hooked end and I clinched the other end and heaved him out of the car like I was pulling a large fish from the water.

There was a big crowd entering the chapel doors, and many faces were turned to watch the unusual Ferrari spectacle taking place outside. The old man stood up into composure, wiggled his pants a few times and tucked his shirt in here and there. He snapped his coat into place and planted his cane firmly onto the sidewalk.

Before he turned to walk away, he smiled at me again and delivered three short words that became the best sermon I would hear all day. "God is great!"

The old man entered the chapel through a side door toward the front; I took to my usual pew toward the back. From time to time, I'd catch a glimpse of him during the service. Once during a prayer, he was whispering something into a lady's ear sitting beside him. Once during the sermon, I noticed him staring off into one of the stain-glassed windows. During another prayer, I saw him whispering to the lady beside him again, this time throwing an arm around her and delivering a familiar grin.

I don't know what happened in 1965, but I'm sure September 18, 2005, won't be a bad day for him either.

Soo now this all happened in a Ferrari 328. Hitting 100-120mph. I want a church with a 14mile run way in front of it!!!!! And what Ferrari 328 starts thunderously like a race car? :lol:

And since when does a 328 "force" you to the seat and re-adjust your dentures lol, especially in 3rd. Any of the new mid size cars from an Acura TL to a G35 would put an ass whipping on a 328 lol.

"Hang on mister, we about to break low 15's" :lol:

Sad. The 3X8 guys are easily the most dilusional F-car owners by a large margin, and always have been.

By all accounts Enzo pissed on that car and was very dismissive of it. That says it all.

He technically had disdain for just about all road cars, simply because they weren't his racing cars.

Perhaps the F40 was the exception.

Nope, he rightfully singled out the V8s with a particular vigor that the V12s weren't subject to. He liked quite a few of them.

What sources would we be quoting?

Biographies, skippy. Start with Brock Yates' popular book on the man, then move on to one of the others, particularly the one by his long time friend...what the hell is his name...Guzzi? Gozzi? Can't remember. Google is your friend.

You need any more information on Ferrari, feel free to let me know. :finga:

308/328 cars are fun..but they are not by any means "put you in your seat" material. They look pretty and are quite timless in design(which is why the design institutes use them for an example on how to design are car the propper way) but in every performance catagory, they do not measure up to even the Honda Civic anymore. At the time of there introduction they were O.K. performeers but not nearly what they should have been.

But it is the car that saved Ferrari from bankrupcy, this point cannot be denyed. With out the 308, we would not have had the 288GTO, F40, F50, or the Enzo. As a matter of fact the 308 was voted on of the 10 best cars of the century not too long ago..thats a pretty good achivement for any car not matter what you think of it.

But it is the car that saved Ferrari from bankrupcy, this point cannot be denyed.

This is true, regardless of the quality of the actual car, the 308's volume brought much needed dollars into the coffers at a time when Ferrari was vulnerable.

But the Top 10 stuff...Tom...even you can't possibly agree with that.

308/328 cars are fun..but they are not by any means "put you in your seat" material. They look pretty and are quite timless in design(which is why the design institutes use them for an example on how to design are car the propper way) but in every performance catagory, they do not measure up to even the Honda Civic anymore. At the time of there introduction they were O.K. performeers but not nearly what they should have been.

But it is the car that saved Ferrari from bankrupcy, this point cannot be denyed. With out the 308, we would not have had the 288GTO, F40, F50, or the Enzo. As a matter of fact the 308 was voted on of the 10 best cars of the century not too long ago..thats a pretty good achivement for any car not matter what you think of it.

Top 10 cars of all time? Must of been published in Oprahs magazine.

Top 10 cars of all time? Must of been published in Oprahs magazine.

I was thinking the Amish...

Mako,  once again has more REAL information, and the sources to back it up, then any man know.    :supz:

<-stupid

-James Miller

agreed!

Mako's got the info... don't even try to question it. .

I did, and was put in my place. :x

Mako,  once again has more REAL information, and the sources to back it up, then any man know.    :supz:

<-stupid

-James Miller

agreed!

Mako's got the info... don't even try to question it. .

I did, and was put in my place. :x

<-stupid

It reads like those breathless Penthouse letters- you remember,

"I was riding the bus one sunny afternoon on my way to the musuem when this girl, wearing almost nothing but a halter and shorts sits across the aisle from me. She was the most beautiful, young nubile thing I ever saw- ripe, lucious breasts barely contained by the thin material of the halter, and a hint of pubic hair revealed when she stretched to put her knapsack on the shelf above, and her shorts crept up, almost to her crack. She smiled at me as she sat..."

:butthead: :finga: :heart:

"I was riding the bus one sunny afternoon on my way to the musuem when this girl, wearing almost nothing but a halter and shorts sits across the aisle from me. She was the most beautiful, young nubile thing I ever saw- ripe, lucious breasts barely contained by the thin material of the halter, and a hint of pubic hair revealed when she stretched to put her knapsack on the shelf above, and her shorts crept up, almost to her crack. She smiled at me as she sat..."

:butthead:  :finga:  :heart:

LMAO, I gotta agree the 3X8 F-car owners are by far the most snobby and dilusional. The 3x8 wasn't anything in its prime, and still isn't today.

:butthead:  :finga:  :heart:

Damn... I gotta ride the bus more often...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A friend of mine was going NUTS a few years ago because he found a 308 for sale for like 26-28 grand (cant remember exactly). He was shopping for a new car at the time looking at Toyota Celica GTS's and Acura RSXs and couldnt BELIEVE that he found a "biitchin Ferrari he might actually be able to afford!!!".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I quickly explained to him exactly how 308s are regarded in the "exotic world", and luckily he passed on the deal. :mrgreen:

It's one thing to overrate the 308, it's another to bash it to death. The 308 haters stem not so much from actual hate of the car, but more of an annoyance of those who purport it to be god's gift to motoring.

You can buy a hell of a lot more performance for 25-30 grand than a 308 (none of which comes with an RSX or Celica badge, btw). If performance is all you're after, you will be very disappointed with the car and you will have wasted your money.

Having said that, I don't think the 308 is as slow or handles as bad as people claim it to be. It's just that for the level of hype, it does not keep up.

Now that GTBi/GTSi crap.....that's a disgrace to motoring. :mrgreen: