my first exotic coming this spring... 1993.5 lotus esprit!

shadeone

im obtaining my first "exotic" car this coming spring. its been a dream of mine since i was about 8 or 9 to own a lamborghini and a few years later in addition to my obsession with lamborghini, i became very interested in lotuses after seeing a few at a car show. I am only 22 and dont have enough to afford a lambo so i have sent the last year or so researching the esprit and have finally decided on the 1993.5.

the 1993.5 was the year where lotus started to change over from the SE to the S4. This is a somewhat rare model and only available in the US, as overseas went directly from the SE to the S4. All US 93.5s featured an openback design instead of the glassback on earlier models. They had a slightly larger rear wing than an SE, plus custom Revolution wheels. these wheels were a tribute to Doc Bundy's SCCA winning X180R, which used similar, but three piece, racing wheels. They also had the revised center console, seats, doors and othe rinterior bits that ended up in the S4.

I fell in love with the body styling of the earlier SE esprits and dont care too much for the wierd teardrop opening in the rockers and more curvacious front and rear bumpers of the post-94 esprits. I know the 4cylinders arent as fast or powerful as the newer v8 twin turbos but there is a huuuuge price gap between 93 to 94s on most classifieds sites ive seen on the internet. Im really pusing my limits on funds for this tihng the way it is ;)

anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has any input on the earlier esprits because with allan owning a v8, there is already a lot of talk on here about the loti!

shade

p.s. attached is a pic of a stock 1993.5, not the exact one im getting but pretty much the same as a few I have my eye on currently.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely an exotic, cheers! if u can squeeze it, it goes without saying a sport350 or "s4s" i think one was calle,d the one with the alcantara/suede interior :partyman:

These cars are a great bang for the buck, but if you can swing it, go for the S4s (although they're getting more expensive than the early V8's and hard to find). Check out www.espritfactfile.com and www.lotusespritworld for a gobs of Esprit data!

ill say it again.... im already pushing my money limits with a 1993 the way it is.... once you go s4, there is a big price jump... the cheapest s4 ive seen is $6k more then the average cost ive been seeing on the 1993s... I simply cannot afford it. :( :(

also i dont like the rocker panels and new redesigned bumpers of the s4 that much... to me the ultimate esprit was the X180R which had all the old stylings and was lowered just a tad making it even more sleek.

compare the s4 below to my picture above, highlighted area. it just doesnt fit as well in my opinion.

JAMIE! YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME RIDE IN THAT MAN!!!!

LET ME KNOW WHEN IT ARRIVES!!

I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good! The Esprit seems like a bargain right now, especially since the average chick can't tell the difference between an 89 or an 03! I had a 93 breifly, a lot of bang for the buck.

No matter what model you get, you'll love it, the Esprit has soul man, it aint no Honda!

Regarding the comment on $$$ for repairs - If you're handy with a wrench the 4 cylinder cars are very easy to work on, and in the past two and a half years, I've spent $1640 on my S4s including $700 to change the cam belt, now compare this to the $1,500 I just spent tonight replacing the ECU in my Range Rover and you get the picture. - Good luck and enjoy it :mrgreen:

A Lotus is a badasss ride, best bang for the buck NEAR that price range when youre shopping for an exotic car! :)

Best of luck on the search man! :)

No matter what model you get, you'll love it, the Esprit has soul man, it aint no Honda!

Regarding the comment on $$$ for repairs - If you're handy with a wrench the 4 cylinder cars are very easy to work on, and in the past two and a half years, I've spent $1640 on my S4s including $700 to change the cam belt, now compare this to the $1,500 I just spent tonight replacing the ECU in my Range Rover and you get the picture. - Good luck and enjoy it :mrgreen:

1) You are clueless about "Hondas". I hate when people say a car has no soul. STUPIDEST comment on earth. Go tell the Ferrari owners that your LOTUS has more soul and see how far that gets you. :roll:

2) I would suggest the same advice to set aside $$$ for repairs to anyone buying a supercar that is 12 years old. :roll:

3) I would hope someone who admittedly stretched their wallet to buy a car like this realizes that it is again 12 years old and things will go wrong. If there is no money to fix these things, that will equal one very unhappy owner.

Anyway, Shade, best of luck. I am sure you will love the car.

thanks for the replies guys....

my last car that i just got rid of was a 1964 chevy impala... FOURTY years old :) and boy let me tell you about "money set aside for repairs" lol! every other friggin week with that thing! so yeah im used to it :)

anywho, i kinda figured in the repair/maintnence $$ in my budget and thats half the reason that im stretching my wallet and cant take the step up to the s4... oh well, im getting a lotus and thats all that matters now! im happy!

shade

Congrats! You will miss the 64 from time to time but the Lotus is a blast. I was in the same spot as you 1 year ago. Got rid of my 66 Pontiac ragtop for the Lotus and have never looked back.

I had a 93 breifly, a lot of bang for the buck.

you got any pictures? i got a folder on my computer thats nothing but 1993 pics :) would love to add to it! :)

shade

Congrats on the Esprit. The 4cyl is an easy car to work on... somewhat... Maintenance is not as bad as you think. I owned an NSX for several years, and have gone back to the Esprit world. It's simply an amazing car. Here's my S4s (Fast as hell...)

Congrats on the Esprit. The 4cyl is an easy car to work on... somewhat... Maintenance is not as bad as you think. I owned an NSX for several years, and have gone back to the Esprit world. It's simply an amazing car. Here's my S4s (Fast as hell...)

Wow. She is a beauty also.

yep, had my eye on that one last time it was listed.... his reserve is lower now... actually waiting on approval from jjbest financing and that might actually be mine.... :) :) :) :)

i want red though but black would look good with those OZ racing novas in chrome

shade

shit, loan application process didnt go through quick enough and now that ebay one is gone... oh well, i think im still gonna wait till the spring as there is some other stuff i want to buy before then...

but if ANYONE sees any red 93's, let me know ASAP!!!

shade