6.0 Question

marknkidz

Guyz, im flying out friday to L of Dallas to do my inspection on the black/black 6.0 all easy stuff is done (agreeing on $ and sending deposit). Now the hard part...I was informed that when im there i should ask them to hook up cars computer and run a diagnostic report to show the following:

1) # of starts

2) max red line

3) time on engine

4) # if false starts

5) Max temperature range

etc....

Ok...any thing else?

Now that being said, what am i looking for on all of the above?

Let say the car has been redlined, then what am i suppose to do?

Mark -

What you're talking about is the LDAS report (Lamborghini Diagnostics and something-or-other). If you're having LoD do a full PPI, this would be part of it. If you're just going to look at it yourself, it would be worth having done. I would guess it's like most dealers where they'd charge you around $75 to hook up the laptop and run the report.

The LDAS includes all the things you mentioned - time the motor has been running, time the ECUs have been running, % of time spent at each RPM level, last 10 highest RPMs (and duration), last 10 highest water temps (and duration), last 10 highest and lowest alternator voltages (and duration), last 10 highest and lowest cat temperatures (and duration), number of starting attempts, and a few other things. The report is done seperately for the two banks of the engine (and thus the two ECUs).

I wouldn't worry about the car being redlined. After all, redline is designed to tell you the highest SAFE speed to run the motor. Now if the car was run at redline for 4 hours, that might tell you something about the driving habits of the previous owner. If the report tells you it was above redline, but only for 2 seconds, that's also not an instant fail.

The thing I would be most concerned with on the LDAS is the water temperature reports. If the car has been often overheated or overheated once for an extended period of time, that would worry me since most of the motor is aluminum and the last thing you want to buy on the Diablo is a set of head gaskets, or worse, a head.

Second most important would be the cat temperature history as this can indicate problems with the catalytic converters, o2 sensors, general engine tuning, etc.

The alternator stuff is not a big deal. It's normal to have some pretty low readings since Diablos sit a lot and run down their battery. A few highs will sometimes come with that as the alternator works to recharge a low or damaged battery.

The other thing I would look at is to see if most of the stats for the two banks are similar. They should be. I did see an LDAS report recently for a car in Australia where the info from the two banks were wildly different and one had a bunch of readings that made no sense. That's usually a bad sign - damaged ECU or something else screwy with the car.

I had LoD do the PPI on my Diablo last year. Mike (their mechanic) was really terrific - he spent about 1/2 hour with me going over the report and explaining what everything meant and possible things it meant about the car and its previous use. That would definitely be worth paying for if you're not paying them already for a full PPI.

Good luck! They are amazing cars.

Also, ask them WHY this car has sat at their dealership sooo long.

It's been there quite awhile, perhaps there is some history with this car, make sure you get it all checked out mechanically, accident, etc.

-James Miller

If the car has not been run to redline would concern me more than if it had. :) The car is a factory built 200 MPH race car. Robert Ball of Supercars International told me " you can drive this car as hard as you think you can drive it and you will never be able to reach its true potential" . I also asked him about running it up to high RPM's and he did a low laugh and told me "It is just getting comfortable at 7000."

I also agree with the Temp readings. That to me is the main concern and you want to make sure the car odometer and the hours on the engine match up. Other than that , times stared ETC is just a good thing to know.

...Do you think dealer would take a car in trade if it had accident damage? Just curious, especially knowing these guys upstanding reputation. as far as why it was in dealership so long it is my understanding from someone well known to lambos, they gave to much $$ on trade in value and couldnt get back out. Car does have 16k miles on it and for some, thats too many miles!! So after having it in inventory for as long as they did they got realistic with the $$$.

IfThat to me is the main concern and you want to make sure the car odometer and the hours on the engine match up.

What's a sensible hour/milage ratio? 1 hour per. 40 or 50 miles?

IfThat to me is the main concern and you want to make sure the car odometer and the hours on the engine match up.

What's a sensible hour/milage ratio? 1 hour per. 40 or 50 miles?

I would think it would be far less then 1 hour per 40 miles, I guess it depends on how/where it is driven. My work truck was at 27 miles per hour and we do a lot of freeway driving.

Guest MOSS

Lamborghini Dallas will do you right. The have the utmost of integrity and Scott or Terry will give you the honest history. Bought several cars from these guys. Very straight shooters. Billy Moss

You're buying the car from Lambo of Dallas and you're also having them do the inspection? I would take the car to an independant and let anyone BUT Lambo of Dallas inspect it.

Well guys...I bought something today, but it wasnt the 6.0. I went to LOD yesterday and upon my arrival i proceeded to inspect the black 6.0 i was going to buy. Firstly let me say everyone at LOD are true professionals, no hard sell or anything like that....absolutely beautiful showroom full off tons of exotic cars. That being said i have actually never even sat in a 6.0 let alone driven one, so heres my thoughts. Getting into the car is a bit intimidating, shutting the door down it is jet fighter tight!! the cockpit is very confined and space is limited, I then went to sit in passenger side (where my wife will be) the space there is even worse, im 5 10 and my knees were in my chest (slight exageration), now this may be due to the fact this particular car had some enormous stereo system installed that truly was awesome, and the passenger seat could only go back so far before hitting the huge subwoofer they have in back. Fit and finish of this particular car was a bit less than i expected (comming out of Ferrari's there finish isnt perfect, but far better than this car) again not to say all 6.0 are like this, I never been in one before.Now it is time to drive...well, let me say it is like driving a Viper on steroids (not intended to offend anyone...Please) Car is very harsh, reminds me of a very very expensive muscle car. The car had some squeaks and rattles, again may be because car is Carbon fiber or may be because this car had 16k miles, i dont know. The looks of the car are stunning..almost to wild...a definite attention getter...even more so in person than any photo will ever due justice. Again at this point im still hot and bothered on the car, already picturing it in my garage...already trying to figure out how to justify something so wild, i know in my heart my wife will be happy for me, but actually hate driving in this car.

THEN.........towards the back of the showroom i see it (Lambo owners please dont hate me!!!) an absolutely stunning Yellow Ferrari 512TR in showroom new condition. I take it for a test drive and im sold...i know i love it...i know my wife will love it. Car is in the condition that none i have ever seen (I will keep my comments short, wrong forum) Any how, deals done TR will be here next week after they drop it by 20mm and realign her.

That being said i do appreciate all who had alot of input into my decision, good and bad...i would especially like to thank a couple individuals.. Andrew, and CGPerry Ralph... you guys were great. I will still participate in this forum and i do hope you all understand...

But especially to Roy Cats... he absolutely walked me thru each and every step, even though he does sell these cars, and i wasnt buying this one from him he must have emailed me about 20 times answering questions and concerns, if anyone is thinking of a Lambo, hes the guy. He even gave me his personal cell # if i had questions when i was in Dallas. Above and beyond the call of duty.

Thanx Mark

Congrats on the new car. The TR is a great car and still looks like a Ferrari, :supz: It is all about getting what you want, sound like you did.

Post pics of the TR in the ferrari section, Would love to see it

Mark

Congratulations on the 512TR. Those are awesome cars. - You will simply pay for maintainance, and see all the 550 guys, who wished they had a cherry 512TR.

Fasst car.

:partyman: :prayer: :supz:

That speaks highly of Roy. You will enjoy the 512TR, which has quite a cult following as well. THe 6.0 is tight (I'm 6'1" and a solid 235 lbs); I rarely sit on the passenger's side- only once, so far, and it is tight. The seats will squeak if they are canted back fully, against the firewall/partition. You get used to the 'cockpit' feel though, the Countach is even more extreme, the Murcie, less so.

Listen man, that's why they make all kinds of cars. Sounds like your particular tastes have been met. I would never bash anyone for making a decision of a personal preference. Congrats on the new purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy it .

congrats on your purchase, i like TR, much better than 550 imo

p.s. if you really think a 6.0 is too tight and extreme.....better you'll never see a diablo GT or even the good old countach ;)

to each one his own