Edit: POS of the day!

beachbummed

Had the listing "met" reserve at this price, I'd say it might be a great deal; however, it was intended as a "NO RESERVE" auction sole for the purpose of generating interests. It is DOUBTFUL it will be sold for anything less than low to mid 90'. If it doesn't get near this price, I am certain they will end the listing early.

Had the listing "met" reserve at this price, I'd say it might be a great deal; however, it was intended as a "NO RESERVE" auction sole for the purpose of generating interests. It is DOUBTFUL it will be sold for anything less than low to mid 90'. If it doesn't get near this price, I am certain they will end the listing early.

Can they do that? Isn't the bid a binding contract to purchase the car?

#1 Seller is the biggest scumbag walking the face of the earth, he was Shazam before Shazam sold a single car.

#2 My mechanic had this car in his shop about six months ago. We had never seen a car in as rough shape as this one, you could poke holes through the floor the rust was so bad, the paint job looked like it was done by Ray Charles, not to mention the front and rear bumpers where botched together so bad that the left and right sides of each bumper didn't match. The wing also looked like it was pieced together from 10 different pieces as well. The engine compartment looked like it had been through a war, there were oil leaks from every part of the car you could imagine, the A/C didn't work and the leather on the dash was shrunk.

The owner didn't want to spend a penny on the car as he wanted to trade it in on a gallardo. He takes the car and then calls the mechanic ten minutes later saying the car broke down. Turns out the burtoni clutch had taken a shit. Car comes back, gets a new clutch, when it all goes back together, the shift lever breaks off in the mechanics hand. This is right before christmas and the guy had to have the car back before the holidays. They spend all kinds of money getting the part overnighted from italy, put it all together only to have the pinion gear break as its leaving the shop. This is where they offered me $4800 for the ring and pinion that I had just taken out of their shop and sold to l-power member ab for $1K!. Needless to say, the mechanic absorbed the costs of the ring and pinion as well as the shift lever.

All I can tell you is that I would rather have the salvage Diablo VT that we talked about rather than this POS! Also member Double had a PPI done on this car when it was on ebay for $125k, he wasn't too happy after seeing the car...

#1 Seller is the biggest scumbag walking the face of the earth, he was Shazam before Shazam sold a single car.

#2 My mechanic had this car in his shop about six months ago. We had never seen a car in as rough shape as this one, you could poke holes through the floor the rust was so bad, the paint job looked like it was done by Ray Charles, not to mention the front and rear bumpers where botched together so bad that the left and right sides of each bumper didn't match. The wing also looked like it was pieced together from 10 different pieces as well. The engine compartment looked like it had been through a war, there were oil leaks from every part of the car you could imagine, the A/C didn't work and the leather on the dash was shrunk.

The owner didn't want to spend a penny on the car as he wanted to trade it in on a gallardo. He takes the car and then calls the mechanic ten minutes later saying the car broke down. Turns out the burtoni clutch had taken a shit. Car comes back, gets a new clutch, when it all goes back together, the shift lever breaks off in the mechanics hand. This is right before christmas and the guy had to have the car back before the holidays. They spend all kinds of money getting the part overnighted from italy, put it all together only to have the pinion gear break as its leaving the shop. This is where they offered me $4800 for the ring and pinion that I had just taken out of their shop and sold to l-power member ab for $1K!. Needless to say, the mechanic absorbed the costs of the ring and pinion as well as the shift lever.

All I can tell you is that I would rather have the salvage Diablo VT that we talked about rather than this POS! Also member Double had a PPI done on this car when it was on ebay for $125k, he wasn't too happy after seeing the car...

What do you think it's worth as a parts car?

This is where they offered me $4800 for the ring and pinion that I had just taken out of their shop and sold to l-power member ab for $1K!.

Ahhh! the good ole days. :icon_mrgreen:

It would make a good parts car. If I had the money I would take it. Bet you could double on the buy in money just parting it out.

Ahhh! the good ole days. :icon_mrgreen:

It would make a good parts car. If I had the money I would take it. Bet you could double on the buy in money just parting it out.

That's what I'm thinking. Anything under $75K and you should be able to part out and walk with at least $25K, no?

Wow! You would never know it by looking at the pictures.

How would you make money parting out this POS? Every panel has had work, frame is rusty, motor looks like shit, interior is awful. BTW, the miles don't look right...

How would you make money parting out this POS? Every panel has had work, frame is rusty, motor looks like shit, interior is awful. BTW, the miles don't look right...

Someone's going to try- first bid is in!

Can they do that? Isn't the bid a binding contract to purchase the car?

I believe as long as the seller(s) end the listing 12 hrs before it ends.....

Wow! You would never know it by looking at the pictures.

But the pics on Ebay are all out of focus, probably on purpose!

You know we should have a database on these kinds of cars that are out there on here. Have our own carfax.

You know we should have a database on these kinds of cars that are out there on here. Have our own carfax.

We already do, the site is www.abolfaz.com. Just ask for Mike. :icon_mrgreen:

Mike seems to know what is going on with most Diablos.

Thats what makes LAmbo Power so valueable to the Lambo community.

this one doesnt look too bad for an early Diablo.

How would anyone make money on this, as a parts car ? Let us assume you can find a nice 1991 D parts car for 60K (not necessarily this particular listing).

I understand that you will make a lot of money, on each individual part you will sell. The concern I have, is would'nt it take a long time, before all or most of the major parts have been sold ? You are not going to get a lot of calls for a Diablo dash. Are you going to strip the dash, and sell one gauge at a time ?

- Let us assume you sell the front bonnet, rims, transmission, and exhaust headers, etc... How long does it take before you sell the rear bonnet, dash, seats, glass windshield, transmission tunnel, front brakes, heads, and a quarter panel etc...? Given the time you will have to sit on the parts, I believe even 60K would be too much for a (nice) parts car.

Would it not make much more sense, to buy 60K worth of wrecked Porsche Boxster / C5 Corvette autos, because you will move the parts in and out much faster ?

Please tell me your opinions. The reason I would like to hear some opinions, is because I heard that a junk yard operation, is a good business. I would think the cars with large production #'s, is much more lucrative than the tiny exotic used parts business.

Please tell me your opinions. The reason I would like to hear some opinions, is because I heard that a junk yard operation, is a good business. I would think the cars with large production #'s, is much more lucrative than the tiny exotic used parts business.

Parting out cars is a very good business, most insurance companies will only fix cars that are a couple of years old with used parts (normal every day cars that is), so parting out average cars is BIG money. I was heavily involved in the Porsche parts business in the mid '90's (only 911s), those cars were full of money! Perfect example, '86 911 coupe, theft recovery, 70k miles not a nice car, needs paint interior is fair otherwise runs and drives great. I purchased the car at auction in '97 for $7500. Here's the way I broke it down:

1- 3.2 Motronic motor with wiring harness and brain: $9k

2- 915 5 speed transmission $3000

3- $1k per corner of suspension $4000

4- Fuel tank (very rare in good shape) $1000

5- Interior $2500

6- Gauges $800

7- Shifter $250

8- Wiring harness $1000

9- Glass (all together) $1500

10- Front clip cut at windshield posts and across the floor just behind the shifter $4500

11- Doors @ $500 each $1000

12- Roof Clip cut at a pillars and c pillars $900

13- Rear clip with 1/4 panels, rear bumper and decklid $3000

14- Oil lines and trombone oil cooler $1500

15- Door handles with keys and ignition with keys $500

16- Oil Tank $400

17- Headlights (if theyre h4's add $200) $500

18- Taillights with center reflector $400

19- Wheels (if theyre 7 and 8 fuchs) $900

That comes out to $35,750, but it doesn't happen overnight (it took me almost 4 years to get rid of all the parts for this car), the key is being able to hold on to the parts until you sell everything. The motor was presold, thats the main reason why I got the car and the prices listed were from back then, I've been out of the market for too long to know what they are now. I know several porsche dismantlers that became very rich parting these cars out (anyone remember Kempton Brothers?). Things are a little different these days since the old cars can't get parts from the 996 and later cars, where parts up to and including the 993 could be used on 911's as old as 1968!

As far as parting lambos go, its much tougher as the cars are worth so much money, usually you can make the case for putting them back together. I almost parted out a 6.0 that was hit on the drivers door, I had someone that was going to pay $35k for the front clip from the dash forward, someone else that was going to give me $7k for each quarter panel, another guy that was going to give me $6k for the driver side suspension, but no one else for the rest of it. At that point I would have owned the rest of the parts for $12k and would have done real well if I sold the motor and trans, but who wants to sit on that kind of stuff? Eurospares has had a 6.0 motor for over 4 years now with no takers! I know another guy that decided to part out his diablo, he sold the 1/4 panels, front fenders, bumpers and then nothing else! You'll see his red doors on ebay once in a while.

There seems to be a lucrative market in used ferrari parts though, I've seen people buy ratty TR's, part them out and double their money...

Parting out cars is a very good business, most insurance companies will only fix cars that are a couple of years old with used parts (normal every day cars that is), so parting out average cars is BIG money. I was heavily involved in the Porsche parts business in the mid '90's (only 911s), those cars were full of money! Perfect example, '86 911 coupe, theft recovery, 70k miles not a nice car, needs paint interior is fair otherwise runs and drives great. I purchased the car at auction in '97 for $7500. Here's the way I broke it down:

1- 3.2 Motronic motor with wiring harness and brain: $9k

2- 915 5 speed transmission $3000

3- $1k per corner of suspension $4000

4- Fuel tank (very rare in good shape) $1000

5- Interior $2500

6- Gauges $800

7- Shifter $250

8- Wiring harness $1000

9- Glass (all together) $1500

10- Front clip cut at windshield posts and across the floor just behind the shifter $4500

11- Doors @ $500 each $1000

12- Roof Clip cut at a pillars and c pillars $900

13- Rear clip with 1/4 panels, rear bumper and decklid $3000

14- Oil lines and trombone oil cooler $1500

15- Door handles with keys and ignition with keys $500

16- Oil Tank $400

17- Headlights (if theyre h4's add $200) $500

18- Taillights with center reflector $400

19- Wheels (if theyre 7 and 8 fuchs) $900

That comes out to $35,750, but it doesn't happen overnight (it took me almost 4 years to get rid of all the parts for this car), the key is being able to hold on to the parts until you sell everything. The motor was presold, thats the main reason why I got the car and the prices listed were from back then, I've been out of the market for too long to know what they are now. I know several porsche dismantlers that became very rich parting these cars out (anyone remember Kempton Brothers?). Things are a little different these days since the old cars can't get parts from the 996 and later cars, where parts up to and including the 993 could be used on 911's as old as 1968!

As far as parting lambos go, its much tougher as the cars are worth so much money, usually you can make the case for putting them back together. I almost parted out a 6.0 that was hit on the drivers door, I had someone that was going to pay $35k for the front clip from the dash forward, someone else that was going to give me $7k for each quarter panel, another guy that was going to give me $6k for the driver side suspension, but no one else for the rest of it. At that point I would have owned the rest of the parts for $12k and would have done real well if I sold the motor and trans, but who wants to sit on that kind of stuff? Eurospares has had a 6.0 motor for over 4 years now with no takers! I know another guy that decided to part out his diablo, he sold the 1/4 panels, front fenders, bumpers and then nothing else! You'll see his red doors on ebay once in a while.

There seems to be a lucrative market in used ferrari parts though, I've seen people buy ratty TR's, part them out and double their money...

Thanks Mike for the informative post :icon_super: