SL55 or 996 Turbo which one?

Ray G

Opinions please. Would you guys rather have a 996 Turbo or an SL55 as a daily driver? Keep in mind I drive about 65 miles a day (mostly highway) and during the summer I do get stuck in a bit of stop and go tourist traffic. The traffic thing alone makes me lean a little towards the SL55. I currently own an SL55 and I've been thinking about trading for the 996 Turbo. Any advice is appreciated. (yes I know, go test drive one)

I was in a similar predicament a while back, apart from quality the turbo has much better handling, braking, and sharper steering. I went for the turbo S, it takes getting used to the lag as the power comes in a bit after 3K rpm, in benz's I feel the power comes in at lower rpm but they have no turbos. High Speed stability is better than the 55 too as it does not float as much.

Comfort wise theres not much in it, the only things that bothers me is the offset acceleration pedal but this may not be the case in lhd models?

But no question in my mind 996 turbo all the way, I think you should go for an S or one with an X50 kit otherwise there wont be much difference in performance in comparisson to your 55. Its the best daily i've had I dont think i'm going back to benz for a while!

I sold my SL65 and picked up a Bentley GTC and although I like it after some seat time I think the SL was a perfect daily driver and wouldn't get rid of it for a porsche. The benz has way more to offer in daily driving creature comforts. You get plenty of power, storage,cup holders, keyless go and a hard top convert. The biggest problem with both cars is they are everywhere and even the 65 was lost in a sea of SL500's.

Two completely different cars. The 996 turbo is a bargain, I like to think of it as the swiss army knife of sports cars. It drives well slow, it drives great fast, has room, extra seats in a pinch, etc. The SL55 is a blast, but not much of a sports car IMO. If you drive in traffic the SL55 automatic is a good thing, the tiptronic in the 996 sucks ass.

I'd take the SL 55 for a dd. the 996 turbo is not as comfy as the SL. IMO the SL makes a better daily driver in stop and go traffic etc.

Tiptronic in 996 Turbo makes the car, 997 Carrera S Manual performance area.

IMO both cars are good in their standarts. IMO SL55 has more options than 996TT , like Open Roof , exhaust note.

I think if 996TT manual tranny then get 996 TT, if both tiptronic then SL55 is better

If I were to get the 996 I would only get the six speed. I'm going to test drive one tomorrow. Thanks for the opinions guys. Greatly appreciated!

what abolfaz says. 996 is very useful all around, and certainly more "fun"....I think it depends on what other cars you have on the weekend?

what abolfaz says. 996 is very useful all around, and certainly more "fun"....I think it depends on what other cars you have on the weekend?

Weekends are for the Countach or a soon to come Viper.

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: Absolutely....better looking....better interior....and faster...

I'm told by Porschephiles that 993 Turbos and Turbo S are A LOT of money...hovering around the six figure range.

True?

If so, it explains a lot.

I'm gonna be a purist here and say that if you want a daily driver, keep the Benz.

996 turbo will be more fun I'm sure, but don't know if it can be justified in a DD sense.

Well guys, thanks for the input. I test drove a 996 today and bought it. It should be fine as a daily driver. The car already has a few mods done to it so it is supposedly over 500hp. (felt like it too) Very comfortable to drive and a bit more exciting than the Benz when you push it. Pics below:

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Nice looking car. Congrats.