dodge viper or porsche ?

zoomboy

Viper is better looking and more fun to drive if you ask me. Put 88,000 miles on my Viper with no problems. Only had my 996 turbo for a month and got bored. Too many Porsche's out there. They all look the same.

Same here. The Viper is loads more fun!!!!

Now, if its a daily driver with traffic & all, the Porsche would be better. For occasional weekly use, the Viper wins hands down. Its like a quick ride on a roller coaster when you want it (or need it).

To compare them, the Porsche is like a tennis match, the Viper is like a UFC match. You could do tennis everyday for the rest of you life. Now the getting into the octagon every day....well ya know.

I'm on my 3rd Viper, though I would suggest getting one of the SRT-10 (2003 or later). Very reliable car.

Sometimes the GTS's can have problems (mine did) & is better suited of weekend driving. If you get a GTS, get the 2002 as it has ABS (btw all Srt-10s have ABS)

• 2 months later...

It all depends what you want. Vipers and Porsche are very different cars. Porsche, Lambo's, Ferrari's and some of the other exotic's are designed for high speed driving where handeling is paramount. Vipers are a car with a different niche. Vipers are raw! They are a driver's car. Driving a Viper is very different than just about any other car I can think of. It is an adrenaline rush type of car.

As for value, I see Vipers becoming a classic. Porsche is a great car, but they are fairly common and I dont think it compares to the adrenaline rush you get with a Viper.

I bought an 02 Viper in Febuary, and I enjoy driving it more than any other vehicle.

If you are a good driver and like and/or can push through the twistys......leave the viper WELL alone. If you want to drive in the wet....leave the viper WELL alone. If you want a primitive sled which feels as though it has been knocked up by school children...with only one thing in mind...buy the viper. If you are having a middle aged crisis and have been temporarily blinded by hormone supplements...buy the viper. If you are into shaving your legs, but are generally lazy by nature, buy the viper and get in and out of it a lot after a 10 minute drive... saving yourself a fortune on razors. If your penis is too small....buy the viper. If you have a death wish...buy an early viper for those rainy day commutes. If you are a big Def Leppard fan, and wish to look like the drummer...buy the viper.

If none of the above applies to you....buy the other one....its a little better.

LOL.

Reading between the lines I see:

"I'm incapable of handling big v8 domestics with more than 300 lb-ft of torque so instead I will hate on it to make myself feel better (and throw in some redneck stereotypes to hide my true intentions)."

:icon_mrgreen:

Don't worry, you're not the only Lamborghini enthusiast/owner who feels this way, but you did go over the top there. ;)

I just find it annoying to read people bad mouthing good cars just because they are incapable of driving them. "I can't handle a beast, so it's a POS".

Always about the car, not about the driver... :rolleyes:

As for the "death trap" Porsches over the years (Carrera GTs), I submit that the problem is not so much it's "knife edge handling" but more the fact that there's this "all Porsches are perfect" mentality....but now it's a RWD Porsche that actually has a motor with the violence of a Viper, a Ford GT, a Plastic mess-06, an F40, etc.

And as far as trailing throttle oversteer, that's an issue that affects all mid/rear engined cars from 100 hp 308s to 900 hp f1 cars. Fix the driver not the car.

BTW, I have no beef with people who admit a car is above them and go the 4wd/driver aid route. It's cool.

My motto is if you aren't good enough, you have no business driving it (or hating on it). Not everyone is born to be a race car driver, and IMHO, not everyone should be allowed to own a lot of the cars that are built right now.

ps - For all the "Any Porsche over any Viper" crowd, how is that different from "Any Ferrari over any xxx"?? Are all Porsches perfect? :icon_mrgreen:

yes i do see alot more porsches, and they do look the same. the vipers are less expensive as well.

Same feeling here. If its a weekend car, get the Viper. I drove a couple of turbo Porches, but don't care to ever drive one again..had no "bang" to it.

The Viper compared to the Porsche is like the adrenaline rush of an old style wooden roller coaster (Viper) vs the new urethane wheeled ones (Porsche). It a rough ride but lots of fun & never get boring. Of the cars I have, the Viper is an all out fun ride. That said I have had 3 so far, get an 03 or newer (has ABS), my 97 had probs, but my 04 & now my 06 are perfect. It has 500 HP & with a SC you can be up to 725-750 if you want more fun :headbang: !!!

Im assuming 996... and btw I was the ONLY high schooler in the my area that had one, that wasnt my dads car. (just want to clarify) :lol2:

Personally I would get a 996. For the price range you are looking for you can find a nice 99-00. Watch out though, some have RMS (rear main seal) leaks, if you put the car up on a lift you should be able to tell.

For 30K you will not find a nice condition Viper...and it will probably be a 93-95 car which dont have ABS, or power glass windows.

I went to school with kids that had new 911's, or damn near new. Wasn't daddies car since they were driving it to school everyday. Alot of them were driving M3's, H2's G wagon and what not.

If the title is in daddy's name... then its daddy's car, regardless of who drives it.

Jesus.....no....the ct does not apply to any of those points....morons. The ct is a classic for starters. The early viper has diablolical handling...and yes//they were nototrious for spinning in the wet. The finish inside and out is fcuking DIABOLICAL....Its an underpowered 8l lump in a light body...= straight line performance only. The ct handles well, is not cheaply finished, and ONE THOUSAND times cooler than a pesky viper.

And comparing one to a 911..... :icon_mrgreen:

And sorry Fellippe....but no amount of excuses in the world will stop the viper being anything other that a monumental POS at this level of comparison. Very fast in a straight line yes....but lacking tenfold EVERYWHERE else.

As for the 911 tt's lacking in BANG....eh...actually...the bang part is what they are famous for. They are faster than 90's vipers in a straight line...and a shed load faster around corners. As for lacking torque....the 996tt and 90's vipers had similar outputs. All this for 3.6 economical litres!!

This conversation is over.#

However.....is a dodge viper a worthwhile buy for $ in its class is a whole different topic..

VIPER cannot be compared to a 911tt or a ct........its a lesser design. FULL STOP>

Jesus.....no....the ct does not apply to any of those points....morons. The ct is a classic for starters. The early viper has diablolical handling...and yes//they were nototrious for spinning in the wet. The finish inside and out is fcuking DIABOLICAL....Its an underpowered 8l lump in a light body...= straight line performance only. The ct handles well, is not cheaply finished, and ONE THOUSAND times cooler than a pesky viper.

And comparing one to a 911..... :icon_mrgreen:

And sorry Fellippe....but no amount of excuses in the world will stop the viper being anything other that a monumental POS at this level of comparison. Very fast in a straight line yes....but lacking tenfold EVERYWHERE else.

As for the 911 tt's lacking in BANG....eh...actually...the bang part is what they are famous for. They are faster than 90's vipers in a straight line...and a shed load faster around corners. As for lacking torque....the 996tt and 90's vipers had similar outputs. All this for 3.6 economical litres!!

This conversation is over.#

However.....is a dodge viper a worthwhile buy for $ in its class is a whole different topic..

VIPER cannot be compared to a 911tt or a ct........its a lesser design. FULL STOP>

The conversation is over because both of us are too committed in our arguments and viewpoints to reach a convergence. Fair.

But I will leave you with the fact that the Viper has won Le Mans 3 times. Hard to win it once let alone 3 times on just MOTOR. :icon_mrgreen:

What year is your Mulliner? Is it the late '90s Continental?

Those cars are legends. :icon_super:

The conversation is over because both of us are too committed in our arguments and viewpoints to reach a convergence. Fair.

But I will leave you with the fact that the Viper has won Le Mans 3 times. Hard to win it once let alone 3 times on just MOTOR. :icon_mrgreen:

You cannot compare the street cars to the race cars.As Ostoneman pointed out more than once Viper is what it is.A relatively different body that is not to everyone's taste,lots of HP,very cheap finish and really lousy handling.Is it a good bang for the buck? Maybe so but again it is all relative and subject to taste.

And PIKEMIKE,as far as pushing a Viper hard in the rain on bald tires without any issues,you and i must have different criteria on what pushing hard is all about :icon_mrgreen:

With the amount of torque and lousy chassis that the Viper has,to call it tricky in the rain would be an understatement.

I had the 722 in the rain with fully grooved tires and it was undriveable.Viper is not that far off

You cannot compare the street cars to the race cars.As Ostoneman pointed out more than once Viper is what it is.A relatively different body that is not to everyone's taste,lots of HP,very cheap finish and really lousy handling.Is it a good bang for the buck? Maybe so but again it is all relative and subject to taste.

And PIKEMIKE,as far as pushing a Viper hard in the rain on bald tires without any issues,you and i must have different criteria on what pushing hard is all about :icon_mrgreen:

With the amount of torque and lousy chassis that the Viper has,to call it tricky in the rain would be an understatement.

I had the 722 in the rain with fully grooved tires and it was undriveable.Viper is not that far off

Cool.

I wanted to make sure that we're being fair & unbiased when it comes to reviewing the Viper. Ostoneman if you weren't so destructive in your assessment I wouldn't have challenged, hehe.

As it turns out, another experienced racer emailed me these comments earlier:

"The Viper handles like a shopping cart with gum stuck on one wheel and a screaming toe head in it. I drove a GTS coupe and the car had serious oversteer. So much so that I wondered how many Doctors were going to die in them. It could have been corrected with proper shocks, springs and sway bars, but stock the thing was scary. I don't like cars stepping out abruptly at 120+ MPH with no warning. It was horrendous over bumps in a turn. Gobs of torque and fast in a straight like, but the shifter and suspension was straight off a K car.

In the rain with bald tires, it would be a handful (not in a pleasant way like Pam Anderson).

I wouldn't own one, but even if it handled great I wouldn't either.

I bet Chrysler would love to hire me to run their PR campaigns...

Spang"

Didn't realize it really was this poor. I knew it never had the chassis refinement of a Ferrari or Porsche, but I figured it was at least acceptable.

Didn't realize it really was this poor. I knew it never had the chassis refinement of a Ferrari or Porsche, but I figured it was at least acceptable.

Think again :lol2: :lol2:

I just purchased an '04 Viper Convertible.

After having it for about 3 weeks, here are my impressions:

(Keep in mind, I have never owned a Porsche)

The Viper is a totally different animal than the Ferraris I have owned or the Gallardo I now have. It is uncivilized and raw compared to those cars and to the Porsche also, I would imagine. It has massive torque and you don't want to mash the gas in the lower

2 gears unless the car is pointed straight. It does "grow on you" however, and I like

driving it. If you want a car that is better handling and feels more "state of the art", then

I wouldn't buy the Viper. If you are looking for a nice looking car, that is seen relatively

rare on the street, and seems to be reliable, then a gen 3 Viper is nice. Don't look for

one for in the 30 to 40K range that's in good shape......you won't find it.

post-6577-1197918987_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having driven both, I would opt for the Porsche. Either a 996TT or if you have the means, perhaps a GT2 or GT3 - in either 996 or 997 form. Maybe that would be a bit more 'exclusive' and 'thrillish.'

I can see the rationale behind wanting a fun car like the Viper, it seems to appeal to those who love raw power/seat of your pants scared to shit while you're flooring it - style of car. I would personally take a Porsche any day over an American car (Viper, POS, Shelby).

If you want a weekend car for thrill rides that few others have, why not something like an older Dodge (70s era muscle car)??? Not too many people will bash that engineering because of it's classic status.

If the title is in daddy's name... then its daddy's car, regardless of who drives it.

Sounds like your dad sucks :thefinger: