dodge viper or porsche ?

zoomboy

i was thinking of buying a used porsche 911 or a used dodge viper? it would be a weekend car only. so they are both nice cars but which one is more reliable and cheaper to repair? the older vipers are now so cheap that i see them all over for a little more than 28k to 33k. even high school kids drive them around here. the porsche seems to hold more value on the long run. but the viper still look better or i mean more of a sports car. so any suggestions on which is better? im leaning towards a used viper around 30k. thats the same price as a toyota. its so affordable these days for the older models.

Im assuming 996... and btw I was the ONLY high schooler in the my area that had one, that wasnt my dads car. (just want to clarify) :lol2:

Personally I would get a 996. For the price range you are looking for you can find a nice 99-00. Watch out though, some have RMS (rear main seal) leaks, if you put the car up on a lift you should be able to tell.

For 30K you will not find a nice condition Viper...and it will probably be a 93-95 car which dont have ABS, or power glass windows.

I went to school with kids that had new 911's, or damn near new. Wasn't daddies car since they were driving it to school everyday. Alot of them were driving M3's, H2's G wagon and what not.

Give me a viper any day.

Porsche 930....1979, 1986, 1989 - all especially good years.

:iamwithstupid: X 1000

why would it be your choice? better overall ? the viper seems to get much more looks than a porsche, as for looks. so what the porsche have that a viper does not?

why would it be your choice? better overall ? the viper seems to get much more looks than a porsche, as for looks. so what the porsche have that a viper does not?

Just get the Porsche.

edmunds.com

Post pictures after you buy!

Viper is better looking and more fun to drive if you ask me. Put 88,000 miles on my Viper with no problems. Only had my 996 turbo for a month and got bored. Too many Porsche's out there. They all look the same.

Viper is better looking and more fun to drive if you ask me. Put 88,000 miles on my Viper with no problems. Only had my 996 turbo for a month and got bored. Too many Porsche's out there. They all look the same.

yes i do see alot more porsches, and they do look the same. the vipers are less expensive as well.

If I wanted to get a fun toy I'd pick up an 01 Viper and put a Roe charger on it. The 996 turbos are nice too though.

If you are a good driver and like and/or can push through the twistys......leave the viper WELL alone. If you want to drive in the wet....leave the viper WELL alone. If you want a primitive sled which feels as though it has been knocked up by school children...with only one thing in mind...buy the viper. If you are having a middle aged crisis and have been temporarily blinded by hormone supplements...buy the viper. If you are into shaving your legs, but are generally lazy by nature, buy the viper and get in and out of it a lot after a 10 minute drive... saving yourself a fortune on razors. If your penis is too small....buy the viper. If you have a death wish...buy an early viper for those rainy day commutes. If you are a big Def Leppard fan, and wish to look like the drummer...buy the viper.

If none of the above applies to you....buy the other one....its a little better.

I bought a 2006 plastic missile (viper) last year, and if I could do it over again, I'd choose the porsche. And if I could of coughed up with another 70k or 80k, I would of opted for a Gallardo. Just my 2 cents.....

Any porsche over the viper for me, thanks!

:iamwithstupid:

The Viper is so cheaply finished it makes me sick.A well maitained Porsche 911 is bullet proof and will reward you as a driver for many years

I considered the Viper before I got my Countach.... Do the homework and you wont get the Viper either....

the Gen 3 vipers (2003-2006) are excellent, no problems, and very Little maintenance, Im definitely keeping my viper, even when I get my murcielago. The GEN 1 and GEN 2 (92-02) had quite a bit of problems. The side sills caught on fire, fiberglass cracks, leaking gaskets, power steering leaks, oil leaks. I would go with a Porsche unless its a GEN 3 or a New 08. The GEN 3 Viper is the Perfect car, especially to MOD!!!

If you are a good driver and like and/or can push through the twistys......leave the viper WELL alone. If you want to drive in the wet....leave the viper WELL alone. If you want a primitive sled which feels as though it has been knocked up by school children...with only one thing in mind...buy the viper. If you are having a middle aged crisis and have been temporarily blinded by hormone supplements...buy the viper. If you are into shaving your legs, but are generally lazy by nature, buy the viper and get in and out of it a lot after a 10 minute drive... saving yourself a fortune on razors. If your penis is too small....buy the viper. If you have a death wish...buy an early viper for those rainy day commutes. If you are a big Def Leppard fan, and wish to look like the drummer...buy the viper.

If none of the above applies to you....buy the other one....its a little better.

Ouch...felt that one right in the groin lol!!

Ouch...felt that one right in the groin lol!!

Keep in mind this was said by a guy with a Countach. Don't a lot of those statements apply to the Countach as well? (Don't get me wrong, I love the car for those traits) I saw two 911 Turbos on the way in to work this morning, both driven by women. How many women drive Vipers? I rest my case.

Keep in mind this was said by a guy with a Countach. Don't a lot of those statements apply to the Countach as well? (Don't get me wrong, I love the car for those traits) I saw two 911 Turbos on the way in to work this morning, both driven by women. How many women drive Vipers? I rest my case.

True...true!! I love both cars. My painter has a modded X50, roomate has a 996 that he autocrosses and another good friend of mine just got a white 997TT.every car has its purpose and i know what mine can and can't do! I just needed a car that went straight anyways!

As far as the rain comment, I pushed a 2002 GTS pretty hard in the rain last weekend, with bald tires (120+mph), and had no problems keeping it on the road.

I let my girlfriend drive my 930 all the time - she LOVES that car. She actually took a driving course in a 930 in Maryland (what racetrack is there?) in the mid '90's....so when you see a hot chick driving a 930 - don't be sure they couldn't pull a 'danica patrick' on your ass...lol!