Drove a Spyker C8 Spyder this weekend

Mike_S

Hi guys,

I notified by my one dealer that they were now the official agents for Spyker last week and they had a demo in the country that he wanted me to try out for the joy of it. I obviously could not turn it down and took him on his offer today. Went for an hour long drive with the car and I will still be able to get use it for another full weekend should I feel the urge

Anyways, I arrive at the dealer and the C8 Spyder is tucked away in a corner not very visible to public eyes. I must say when I first saw it I immediately liked the design and finish of the car. Very very different from what is currently available.

So he pulls the car out into the sunlight for me to have a further look. The car looks even better in the sun! I have always pictured Spykers to be in very subtle colours, but it pulls this colour off perfectly!

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

The key is a round flat-ish object that very much resembles a weight. Good solid finish and has a nice weight to it. Now for the fun part... you press the "L" and "R" buttons on the key to open the door(it extends fully on its own there after).

The frameless windscreen is also a great touch

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

There is quite a big side sill to get over before you sit nice and comfortable in the bucket seats. The fun part is starting it, you open the "red" cover on the dashboard and flick the ignition switch and all the dials come to life. You then just press the "Engine Start" button.

IMG_4034.jpg

The interior does look quite basic - but that is what I love about it. I feels like an interior that was designed 40 years ago. The fit and finish are superb! The foot pedals are also designed similar to a Pagani/Koenigsegg

IMG_4030.jpg

Now for the actual drive...

The engine is a 4.2 V8 from Audi (same engine in the RS4 and R8) - but does it sound totally different! There was a R8 parked behind it and it sounds nothing like this Spyker. It sounds like an Aston Martin Vantage with Fuse 22 pulled out on steroids!

The clutch and brakes are quite heavy, but the gearbox is very smooth and easy to use, albeit the car is LHD - was very easy to operate.

The acceleration is very good - I would say on par with the new M3, the brakes are a bit lazy and you have to step quite hard for the car to stop, I drove there with the LP640 so I guess I was still used to the CCB's? The steering feedback is great and very direct, almost feels like a Lotus Exige

All in all I am very impressed with the car and wouldn't mind having one. You really stop traffic with this thing as nobody has a CLUE what it is - so if you're looking for something different, I would recommend the Spyker

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

Very nice write up. I would love to see the hard numbers on this car (1/4 mile, top speed, bhp, etc). I'e always loved the styling, but how does it compare to the Lambos and Audis in price?

Very nice write up. I would love to see the hard numbers on this car (1/4 mile, top speed, bhp, etc). I'e always loved the styling, but how does it compare to the Lambos and Audis in price?

This is what I got from their website. Pricewise over here it is just a bit more than a fully specced Gallardo SP and slightly less than a base LP640

post-3737-1195448655_thumb.jpg

Great looking cars - they seem to be under the radar from most buyers. For the price you would think they would put a faster engine in it - 4.5 0-60 is great, but for a car that looks that good, it should have a bit more kick!

Who cares how fast it accelerates or goes, this thing LOOKS mind blowing. Thanks for the write up, and pics, Mike. Always a nice surprise in your topics.

I really like this car, the interior is just something to behold, most exotics today are lacking that something special the C8 has when you sit behind the wheel.

I see you guys over there in in RSA got the lame steering wheel too... I would love to be impaled with the original steering wheel they had before all the safety issues...hahaha...

Yellow is sexy for this car. I'd take one in yellow, one in red, and one in black =)

Here's a short vid of a Yellow C8 Spyker much like the one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99MyRxPHpbE

Truly rare vehicle. It's quick, not the quickest, but it's very rare and stands out against the crowd of even other exotics. That's perfect in my book

I see you guys over there in in RSA got the lame steering wheel too... I would love to be impaled with the original steering wheel they had before all the safety issues...hahaha...

Thats the demo model - you can order the original steering wheel. I think over here that will be standard.

Writeup and pics = :icon_thumleft:

Car = :gay:

can't argue - whilst there there are people that absolutely love it and there there are some that don't like it at all. It's definitely a car that you either love or really hate. no inbetween! but its very different from what lamborghini and ferrari offer in teams of style and finish.

there is a v12 version that will be out soon called the C12

Truly rare vehicle. It's quick, not the quickest, but it's very rare and stands out against the crowd of even other exotics. That's perfect in my book

exactly ;) the C12 is a 6.0 V12 500hp - should be quick enough with that low kerb weight ;)

Prob with that car, is once you buy it, you own it for life. Ive heard dealers wont even give 1/2 of what people paid for them on trade in.

Prob with that car, is once you buy it, you own it for life. Ive heard dealers wont even give 1/2 of what people paid for them on trade in.

Exactly... They're an interesting car, they do sound very cool, but are nowhere near quick enough or refined enough to be worth the $300,000 they sticker for in the US. At half that perhaps they'd be a unique toy, but any more and there are just too many better alternatives.

wait and buy one 'used' at half price - different and I love that dash!

I have seen it several times in person - in the US and in Monte Carlo. There were 2 Spykers driving around the track before the F1 GP started. They sound amazing though!!!