Which SUV to get?

JayStyleRacing

I have the opportunity to get a new luxury SUV. My choices are a Cadillac Escalade, a BMW X3 or X5, a Porsche Cayenne S (can't afford the turbo...unfortunately...well I could but I'm trying to save as much money as possible), Land Rover LR3, Range Rover Sport, or Chevy Tahoe/Suburban....

Basically, I want an SUV that is reliable in the long run, luxurious, and powerful for the rough winters and country roads, practical for a city SUV but with the comfort to cruise with friends. Also, it relatively has to be good on gas for a truck or SUV. I can get something cheap in the $30K range or something in the $70K range (if I decide to spoil myself)

Given this what would you choose? My top choices are Land Rover LR3 and BMW X3, as well as the X5 (X3 is more practical for city driving).

Give me your honest opinions. I really am itching for a Range Rover...but trying not to give in on impulse (oh so hard lol).

I drive a Range Rover, but always have an eye out for something special...anyway here is my thought on a cool 'used' SUV. A few years back BMW made their initial X5 with a special bigger motor, bigger wheels (very cool looking), side skirts and front and rear valance, quad exhaust - I think it was referred to as the 4.8 or 4.6? I would consider digging up a low mileage great condition one of those as an option. They had a great looking aggressive stance and go like Cayenne type speed.

I drive a Range Rover, but always have an eye out for something special...anyway here is my thought on a cool 'used' SUV. A few years back BMW made their initial X5 with a special bigger motor, bigger wheels (very cool looking), side skirts and front and rear valance, quad exhaust - I think it was referred to as the 4.8 or 4.6? I would consider digging up a low mileage great condition one of those as an option. They had a great looking aggressive stance and go like Cayenne type speed.

Thanks for the input! I will definitely keep that in mind. However, I prefer not to purchase a used vehicle, but if I find one buy a responsible owner and an ideal car with clean history...definitely. How do you feel about the Cayenne S? I love Porsche and have always held the Cayenne in high regards. Except I've felt that the Cayenne is boring without the Turbo. Who knows! I shall look for some used trucks as well! A member just purchased a used Porsche CTT for like $48K (?) on 6speedonlline.com

Lexus RX350, great ride, superb long term quality, bugs ironed out as its several years in; and its reasonably affordable. Secondly, an Infiniti FX45.

I've driven the ML and GL, both a rip-off IMO compared to what you get in the escalade which is what my wife drives. We have an '07 and its her 3 rd one (the first 2 being an '03 and then an '04). Inbetween the old body syle and the new body style we had a range rover and although it had more things to play with as far as ride control goes it was never used and a waste of money. Not to mention they depreciate like an aston martin. Thats how we ended up back in to the escalade. After the new one came out it just tops everything else in ride, comfort and price. We were able to get her '07 back in July of '06 as GM released them early so we've had it for over a year now and the only thing she or myself have test driven that we though about getting was the new GL 550, but the fact that its missing A/C seats and the nav is SHIT compared to the one in the escalade and it costs $20k more she's happy to hold on to her escalade and maybe upgrade to a newer model next year sometime with different color combo. Allan has a new '07 escalade as well, I'm sure he can tell you how much he enjoys it. They just bought thiers over the summer.

Wow, I had the Escalade at the bottom of my list. I think it is up at the top now :icon_thumleft: .

How about the BMW X5 or X3? I may opt to get a smaller SUV for handling Chicago traffic.

The X3 shouldn't be in comparison with the others. The escalade is my top choice as well. The old X5 mentioned earlier is the 4.8 model. Looks nice, but might as well go with a new vehicle.

Escalade would be a good overall choice --- you get a lot of truck for the money. But based on your own pick, would that be too big of a vehicle for you? If you are into off road, then the LR3 is the ultimate choice as nothing but perhaps the Hummer H1 & the Mercedes G would beat it. That said, it's not a very luxurious vehicle and Land Rovers are a toss of the coin in reliability. Some works forever, others are in the shop forever. If you want more luxury, get the Ranger Rover Sport as it's the same car as the LR3 underneath. Range Rovers are cool too but perhaps a bit big and $$, you also get a lot of toys but resale is not good. X5/X3 are nice but they don't really work in off road. And some have issues on their electronics.

Have you looked into the new VW Touareg 2?

I have a range rover, and I will be selling it soon, for a new range rover sport... they are not cheap, but I think they are the best looking suv's on the road.. the escalade is nice, but its big... the VW touareg is also nice, but I think the rover has more status and road appeal..

I vote for Escalade over the others. For styling and presence it owns the other SUVs.

The Range has more prestige and class but is troublesome according to many reports.

None of these SUVs are real off road vehicles so no bother comparing them in that area.

And if handling is an issue, get a station wagon. I hear the X5 and Cayenne can handle well for SUVs, but it burns me to see this forced marriage of truck & car. Stick to your respective sides! :icon_mrgreen:

Lastly, maybe 1% of all buyers would care about this....but I think for sound system upgradability and acoustics, the Escalade is better than the others mentioned.

Along with the exotics I fantasize regularly about, I have the Escalade ESV at the top of the list for the ultimate sound system vehicle simply because it has:

Very compliant door panels for modification, or at least big woofers

Non-integrated head unit (e.g. most high end luxury cars)

OEM center channel cut out

Lot of room under dash for horns

Ample space in the trunk for equipment

And finally the sheer vehicle length allows for a longer wavelength and more low end bass.

Did I miss anything, VCR? :icon_mrgreen:

Did I miss anything, VCR? :icon_mrgreen:

Yes, you missed it altogether because I am not a car stereo guy! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

The only time (and most likely the last time) I actually did "serious investment" on car stereo was on my first G. It had the whole nine yards but even with DSP, it's just not even close to "good hi fi". To be fair, the G's interior is especially challenging. Something the size of the Escalade should do much better but I won't waste $$ on car stereo any more. It's just too "hostile" of an environment to truly enjoy music. To be fair, the Ranger Rover Supercharged factory optional ICE is quite good --- CD/DVD, HK speakers, Logic 7 DSP. Good enough for a car IMO.

BTW, Land Rover (LR3, Range Rover Sport & Range Rover) are not real off road vehicles??!! :icon_rolleyes: You have got to be kidding!!!

The question is whether or not you are willing to take a $$$ Ranger Rover to go off road --- if the driver doesn't mind, the car is absolutely more than willing and capable.

I really don't like the Range's. The Second Gen 95-2001 were the best ever. The 4.6 with the 5 speed manual and air ride was an awesome truck, and it looked great too.

These new ones are brittle and way to luxurious IMO, some of the toughness was lost when Ford took over LR.

I still think the range rovers are the better suv's out there... they are not too big.. escalade is much bigger.. I dont need such a big suv... I think the rovers look much better also.. so my first choice would be the rover.. sport.. then the rover HSE then the escalade. My rover at the moment is a 2005 HSE, I have 34k miles on it, and have had no real issues with it... little stupid problems.. but the same you would have with ANY other brand. Go test drive you top 4 choices.. and then narrow it down from there.. for they all drive and handle different. Good luck.

I really don't like the Range's. The Second Gen 95-2001 were the best ever. The 4.6 with the 5 speed manual and air ride was an awesome truck, and it looked great too.

These new ones are brittle and way to luxurious IMO, some of the toughness was lost when Ford took over LR.

I'm with you King...my '98 is great! I have had good luck with it - mechanically - up to 93K miles and she looks like new.

post-9329-1196857067_thumb.jpg

I have heard RRs while gorgeous tend to have less than perfect quality/reliability; any thoughts comments?

Don't know about adverse weather (live in S Fl), but the awd LX470 we had was great. Drove an BMW x5 before getting the LX470 & was disappointed. Drove the LX & was sold on the spot.

I personall;y drive an H2 at the moment & love it. Big & roomy but not long like the Escalades. Not a luxurious as the LX was but still good. Feels like a tank. If I were to be in a wreck, feels like you could take on anything except a Mack truck.

Also when you lane change, just start moving over, everyone gets out of the way :lol2:

I have a ML500 , its a very nice truck drives awesome in the winter .

heres a buddy of mines rover sport ,and a rclass benz truck . but i think i would get the Escalade

lrange.jpg

newstuff15.jpg

Q7 4.2 FSI , As fast as Cayenne S but moure comfortable. Be sure to make it S-Line if you like sportier suspension and 20'' rims. Interior is best quality

Range Rover Sport is good outside look, but interior is very plastic.....

I had 2 range rovers already. An Hse and a Supercharged. Great truck but the last one I had shit the bed on me. I now have a 07 4.8i X5 and I love it. I like it more than my rover. I would suggest u really check out the X5. You wont be disappointed.

I'm with you King...my '98 is great! I have had good luck with it - mechanically - up to 93K miles and she looks like new.

Sweet, it's the only SUV I'd ever consider buying, you can get one now that looks like new, with about 40K on the odo with navi and the works for less than 20 grand.

:icon_pray:

Yes, you missed it altogether because I am not a car stereo guy! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

The only time (and most likely the last time) I actually did "serious investment" on car stereo was on my first G. It had the whole nine yards but even with DSP, it's just not even close to "good hi fi". To be fair, the G's interior is especially challenging. Something the size of the Escalade should do much better but I won't waste $$ on car stereo any more. It's just too "hostile" of an environment to truly enjoy music. To be fair, the Ranger Rover Supercharged factory optional ICE is quite good --- CD/DVD, HK speakers, Logic 7 DSP. Good enough for a car IMO.

BTW, Land Rover (LR3, Range Rover Sport & Range Rover) are not real off road vehicles??!! :icon_rolleyes: You have got to be kidding!!!

The question is whether or not you are willing to take a $$$ Ranger Rover to go off road --- if the driver doesn't mind, the car is absolutely more than willing and capable.

My bad...didn't mean to brand the entire Range Rover brand like that. I was giving them the Mercedes treatment which is essentially none but the G-wagen which can go off road competently.