Unable to sleep

Destructo

I tried the mouth appliance but broke it. Tried CPAP but had very low compliance... otherwise the next day they will be pretty fcuking embarrassing.

Friggin allergies! Thanks for the details, appreciate it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Cpap machine under me bed. I've made three attempts at using it and each time it hasn't lasted more then two nights.

First of all, if you are sleeping next to someone A. It's fcuking embarrassing to have on and B. It's fcuking rude for the person you're sleeping with when you breath to have it sound like Darth Vadar.

Also it's super uncomfortable because you can't roll over because you have a god damn hose stuck to the front of your face and if you move you'll pull the machine off the counter.

It also makes my jaw ache.. Having your mouth stuck in one position all night isn't comfortable at all.

I even ordered a different kind of face attachment that has two hoses that go to my nostrils instead of my mouth and all that did was dry out my nostrils and make me wake up with the driest, sorest throat ive ever had.

I have a Cpap machine under me bed. I've made three attempts at using it and each time it hasn't lasted more then two nights.

First of all, if you are sleeping next to someone A. It's fcuking embarrassing to have on and B. It's fcuking rude for the person you're sleeping with when you breath to have it sound like Darth Vadar.

Also it's super uncomfortable because you can't roll over because you have a god damn hose stuck to the front of your face and if you move you'll pull the machine off the counter.

It also makes my jaw ache.. Having your mouth stuck in one position all night isn't comfortable at all.

I even ordered a different kind of face attachment that has two hoses that go to my nostrils instead of my mouth and all that did was dry out my nostrils and make me wake up with the driest, sorest throat ive ever had.

One of the girls I dated researched why I snore and thought it was nasal septum deviation - I don't know but would like to get this problem handled, snoring sucks. Of course there were other girls who say "don't worry I take so many pills I won't wake up if a war starts"

Anyone here successfully combat snoring?

I know a lot about this subject. I've gone to the sleep institute in my country and have been videotaped and ECGed so that they can assess my vitals, brain waves, eye movement, breathing patterns, etc. I am a chronic insomniac.

Alcohol - Alcohol does not help sleep. It does the opposite and often times you will pass out then will open your eyes 4 hours later unrested and unable to get back to sleep. Alcohol prevents sound sleep.

Temperature of the room - it is shocking but must studies show it has to be around 65 degrees for best long term sleep. I know warmth makes you tired but for deep rest this is what is recommended.

Food - can't eat a huge meal close to bedtime. If you do your body is working all night as you're trying to rest. Carb intensive meals anywhere near bedtime aren't helpful.

Exercise - typically avoid too close to bedtime due to elevated metabolism and heart rate.

no alcohol

cool my room to 18 Cel

dont eat past 5 pm

no exercise past 6

sleep like a baby

Alcohol makes me sleep!! I have had a septoplasty to correct a deviated septum though it has kinda deviated the opposite way now but I can still breath better. Oddly enough I never snore. It is very rare that I can sleep through the night but its still not too bad.

That would suck...two weeks? ughhh...

Now that i think about it, it's been probably close to a decade since i've slept the whole night through, i RARELY sleep 8 hours without interuption. Man, that would be nice....

I would strongly advise you to go to a doctor. A buddy of mine has had the same problem for more than a decade. He has tried almost everything from sleep therapy to medication. he has improved, but still has a ways to go.

Not to be a buzzkill but this could be a serious problem. Best of luck!!

Great info about allergies - thanks.

Meditation can help.

Prior to a scary surgery I was told no meds for a few days - not even a Tylenol. I decided two weeks would be better. My biggest fear was inability to sleep.

Someone introduced me to meditation. I practiced a lot - it was difficult at first but it had an amazing impact. I found my mental "happy place" and slept better the week before surgery than I had in years.

This is not meant to discount the advice on allergies, deviated septums, etc. All must be evaluated.

Meditation can be a powerful tool. I'm a skeptic on those things but it sure made me a believer.

no alcohol

cool my room to 18 Cel

dont eat past 5 pm

no exercise past 6

sleep like a baby

Very smart Jason. You're a fit guy doing all the right things.

Another issue with CPAP is traveling. Who wants to carry around a facial vacuum cleaner? There's a reason compliance on the thing hovers around a dismal 25%. I had all the same issues you did too Rob.

One other thing I forgot to mention is acupuncture. Results may vary, some consider it fringe, but everytime I go get needled that night I go comatose for a solid 8.