Starter Sport Bike

sprite

Used to think of the same thing about getting a sports bike. I lost too many good friends to them, and seen too many f'ed up things in Miami to even think about buying one. Maybe if I lived in the boondocks somewhere where there is no traffic, etc. I wouldnt get one here.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this thread is full of terrible advice

If you want to ride straight and park at starbucks, get an 848. Just be prepared to be made fun of for having 3in chicken strips. You're never going to learn how to ride starting on that.

Suzuki SV650 is the best 'starter' bike you could get. If you want to really RIDE, get the SV. The bike is forgiving and easy to ride, yet you will likely never come close to being able to ride the bike on its limit. Not to mention there are a million parts available for it. And they're still FAST

Its not about respecting the speed/power, any super sport bike is extremely unforgiving to a newbie making mistakes. Its NOT the same as a fast car.

As far as ninja 250's go, I know plenty of riders who destroy super sport riders in the mountains on a 250, let alone a 500

I would have to agree with aedmon on the sv650 recommendation... but your choice of the ninja 250 is also a good one. Have fun out there. I have made some of my best friends through motorcycling. Don't forget to wear all of your safety gear! :icon_thumleft:

Ah wish I had the funds for that right now....I'm close to him as well. I wouldn't want to compete with Sprite though...he did start the thread.

Feel free to grab it. I'm moving back to Florida and won't pick up a bike until after the move.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an Ducati 848. :eusa_think:

I saw one of these on the way to work this morning. Stunning bike. I must get one...

The 848 is gorgeous. I'm thinking of adding one to the stable but would have to get rid of something to make room :( it's a rough decision.

did you not read the thead!?!?!? :eusa_doh:

I'm guessing he didn't :lol2:

There is no way this kid read anything that he posted in 37 posts in just under 2 days. 7 of which were made in under 2 hours.

128347587844687500fail.jpg

Well here is tid bit of fun for you sport bike fans. A friend of mine just picked up a CBR600RR for his first bike, which i highly advised against, well he wadded it up on the first day and is now in ICU with massive head trauma. I'll be going to the hospital tonight, i hope he makes it.

Think things through, is all i'll say.

Well here is tid bit of fun for you sport bike fans. A friend of mine just picked up a CBR600RR for his first bike, which i highly advised against, well he wadded it up on the first day and is now in ICU with massive head trauma. I'll be going to the hospital tonight, i hope he makes it.

Think things through, is all i'll say.

I hope he gets better. I will keep him in my prayers. Like I said before, I would advise against one in Miami, Orlando, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Too many idiots that dont know how to drive on the street. Of the 5 friends I had with motor cycles 1 is still alive today. He has had his jaw broken, fingers broken, toenails ripped off(genious rode with sandals), and tons of road rash. All of those happened on different occasions too. I am not saying NOT to get one. You have to use your own best judgement, but I dont even think I would buy a chopper down here. BTW he hasnt rode a bike in 3 years as it was stolen from him at the mall.

I was going to get a 600RR or an F4i the same week a friend of mine was literally ripped in half when he hit a highway large aluminum street sign at 150+mph. It was on an empty road (us-27), and 1 car pulled out and didnt look. Then another week later another friend died when he was hit by a car when he fell off. I also heard a r1 run into the back of a semi at 180+mph. I was across the street at Muvico in Davie. Very Scary stuff.

I hope he gets better. I will keep him in my prayers. Like I said before, I would advise against one in Miami, Orlando, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Too many idiots that dont know how to drive on the street. Of the 5 friends I had with motor cycles 1 is still alive today. He has had his jaw broken, fingers broken, toenails ripped off(genious rode with sandals), and tons of road rash. All of those happened on different occasions too. I am not saying NOT to get one. You have to use your own best judgement, but I dont even think I would buy a chopper down here. BTW he hasnt rode a bike in 3 years as it was stolen from him at the mall.

I was going to get a 600RR or an F4i the same week a friend of mine was literally ripped in half when he hit a highway large aluminum street sign at 150+mph. It was on an empty road (us-27), and 1 car pulled out and didnt look. Then another week later another friend died when he was hit by a car when he fell off. I also heard a r1 run into the back of a semi at 180+mph. I was across the street at Muvico in Davie. Very Scary stuff.

Your exactly right, i don't mind people having them, i might get one some day down the road, but i have no desire at the moment, and it just ticks me off, he knew better, many of us told him to his face, don't do it, he didn't have an endorsement, or road experience, it's just a shame at 18... and exactly one year go he broke his back and made a full recovery, to do this. I'm going to kick his ass when he's better.

Sorry to hear about your friend Dave. :(

I have been riding for a long time, and have seen more friends get hurt on sport bikes then any other hobby in the world.

When you do pull the trigger, good luck with the new bike Sprite! Keep the rubber side down! :)

Ouch. My prayers go out to your friend Dave. I am starting out with a GSXR 600, but maybe I should have mentioned that I have previous dirt bike experience...

I've always wanted one but I've heard way too many stories about injuries and such that I can't justify the risk. It's not that I don't trust myself on a bike, but all it takes is one idiot who turns into you and clips you and bam you're done. That's not to say that some cities aren't better than others, but there's definitely some places where it's just downright dangerous to ride.

Thoughts and prayers to your friend, Destructo :(

Wow!

My thoughts and prayers are with your freind.

I've always wanted one but I've heard way too many stories about injuries and such that I can't justify the risk. It's not that I don't trust myself on a bike, but all it takes is one idiot who turns into you and clips you and bam you're done. That's not to say that some cities aren't better than others, but there's definitely some places where it's just downright dangerous to ride.

I had two friends pass away this year from reckless drivers. They were both safe riders, but unfortunately, they happened to be on the same road with bad drivers :crybaby2: .