Breitling Time Accuracy

I posted in April that I purchased a new Breitling Windrider Chronomat Evolution A13356, well a few weeks back it was out 4 mins so I reset it to the internet time server and have been watching it. The watch is gaining time by a few seconds or so each day.

I wear the watch as my daily so it doesn't sit at rest more than 16 hours, which is within the limits.

Here is what I have noticed;

April 7 - Set to time server after purchase

May 20 - Gained ~4 mins

May 22 - reset time to time server again

May 27 - Gained ~35 secs

May 29 - Gained ~45 secs

June 3 - Gained ~1 min 25 secs

Is this a bad watch or is this normal for the Breitling?

The watch was purchased new from a AD so it would be covered under warranty, I'm merely wondering if I should push the AD to give me credit towards a different watch brand. When I purchased it my biggest concern was accuracy and they assured me that these are certified and are accurate. Hmmm :eusa_think:

I just bought the same watch. I'll set mine to my cell phone time and see if I get the same result. I have not noticed it speeding up or slowing down. I do know that there is a slight margin that they say to allow for when I was reading throught the manual but I can't remember what it was. I've been wearing it as a daily watch as well and it has not sat for more than 8 hours or so at any given time.

I just bought the same watch. I'll set mine to my cell phone time and see if I get the same result. I have not noticed it speeding up or slowing down. I do know that there is a slight margin that they say to allow for when I was reading throught the manual but I can't remember what it was. I've been wearing it as a daily watch as well and it has not sat for more than 8 hours or so at any given time.

I have a Super Ocean, same problem. I just got it back from Breitling after having a "tune-up" and was told the problem was addressed. The watch still gains a couple of mins. not sure what to do.

I too am having the same problem. It gains about 4 minutes in a month, that's when I notice it. Not sure if I want to send it in.

Well this doesn't look promising.

Upsets me that the AD assured me that the watch would not have accuracy issues and so far 3/4 people on LP have issues.

Funny my 13 year old ESQ that cost $375 that I replaced for this watch keeps perfect time.

wow, I just checked my watch and from the time I posted yesterday and synched it up with my cell phone clock I've gained almost 2 minutes on the watch which is way more than anyone else has stated here. Maybe I set it wrong yesterday cause 2 minutes in 1 day is a lot. Thats not good. I'm going to reset it again to my cell phone which is right on line with the world time server.com's website and see what happens in 24 hours.

wow, I just checked my watch and from the time I posted yesterday and synched it up with my cell phone clock I've gained almost 2 minutes on the watch which is way more than anyone else has stated here. Maybe I set it wrong yesterday cause 2 minutes in 1 day is a lot. Thats not good. I'm going to reset it again to my cell phone which is right on line with the world time server.com's website and see what happens in 24 hours.

You bought a knock off.

Sorry to inform you of this, I hope it didn't take from your new purchase. Pretty hard not to :eusa_wall:

Sure looks good though :eusa_dance:

I too am having the same problem. It gains about 4 minutes in a month, that's when I notice it. Not sure if I want to send it in.

Well within specs, don't send it in.

The watch should be within 10 seconds a day, figure roughly one minute per week = 4 minutes per month.

They will be set to run fast from the factory. As the watch settles down and the oils settle in it will gradually slow down. Then over a longer period of time the oils will start to coagulate a bit. The oils become stickier therefore slowing the watch down. If they set the watch to be right on (0 secs a day) you would be looking for an overhaul sooner. They set them fast to lenghten the interval between servicings. Let a new watch settle down for a couple of weeks. If it is still more than 10 seconds off per day send it in for an adjustment.

If the accuracy issue still bothers you that much, Breitling also makes battery operated models. Their quartz (battery) movements are called Superquartz which have temperature compensation. They are 10x more accurate than a regular quartz watch. They are also the only company that chronometer certifies all of their watches including the quartz models.

Out of respect for our sponsors I will not say in what capacity but I am in the watch business and have been collecting, selling for 20 years. In other words, trust me on this one!

Well within specs, don't send it in.

The watch should be within 10 seconds a day, figure roughly one minute per week = 4 minutes per month.

They will be set to run fast from the factory. As the watch settles down and the oils settle in it will gradually slow down. Then over a longer period of time the oils will start to coagulate a bit. The oils become stickier therefore slowing the watch down. If they set the watch to be right on (0 secs a day) you would be looking for an overhaul sooner. They set them fast to lenghten the interval between servicings. Let a new watch settle down for a couple of weeks. If it is still more than 10 seconds off per day send it in for an adjustment.

If the accuracy issue still bothers you that much, Breitling also makes battery operated models. Their quartz (battery) movements are called Superquartz which have temperature compensation. They are 10x more accurate than a regular quartz watch. They are also the only company that chronometer certifies all of their watches including the quartz models.

Out of respect for our sponsors I will not say in what capacity but I am in the watch business and have been collecting, selling for 20 years. In other words, trust me on this one!

Thank you Ray for the very imformative note, my AD did not mention this at all. It is important to be told this information and be told that the watches are not 100% accurate.

My watch is now 2 months old, so not sure if it is still in the breakin mode so I'll keep an eye on the time variations and decide what I should do.

Once again thank you for the information.

Also you can't expect a mechanical watch to be 100% accurate.

1.5 Why should I get a mechanical watch when a quartz watch is so much cheaper and more accurate?

Yes, Virginia, a quartz watch is cheaper and more accurate than a mechanical watch. A good mechanical watch can typically be made no more accurate than 2-3 seconds per day. Your typical inexpensive quartz is usually good to 0.5 seconds per day or better. For an in-depth analysis, Walt Arnstein has written a technical analysis of quartz vs. mechanical watches.

But mechanical watches are not about achieving the ultimate in accuracy. Craftsmanship, aesthetics, and tradition are all part of the allure. Because the wheel train of an analog quartz watch is not under constant stress from a wound mainspring, it does not need to be as finely finished, nor does it require painstaking skill and precision in assembly.

Mechanical watches are good enough for most people's everyday lives, and they call to our emotional side.

Thank you Ray for the very imformative note, my AD did not mention this at all. It is important to be told this information and be told that the watches are not 100% accurate.

My watch is now 2 months old, so not sure if it is still in the breakin mode so I'll keep an eye on the time variations and decide what I should do.

Once again thank you for the information.

2 months in, it should be within 10 seconds a day. Have them send it in for an adjustment if that is not so.

they are not a great time piece..... I have a couple of them... so I am not knocking them, but fine time piece.. they are not.

Thanks Ray....I have had mine for about 8 months now, should I be concerned?

If more than 10 seconds a day, yes. Should just need an adjustment. Don't get down on Breitlings though. I wear one everyday and beat the hell out of mine. I haven't been able to kill one yet.

Sorry to inform you of this, I hope it didn't take from your new purchase. Pretty hard not to :eusa_wall:

Sure looks good though :eusa_dance:

Well I obviously made a mistake when I set it the first time because when I set it the second time I made sure that it was exact to the time clock and its well within specs. It does seem to be running a little fast having only gained a little bit of time in the past week but after reading more in this thread I'm not worried about it. :icon_mrgreen:

Well I obviously made a mistake when I set it the first time because when I set it the second time I made sure that it was exact to the time clock and its well within specs. It does seem to be running a little fast having only gained a little bit of time in the past week but after reading more in this thread I'm not worried about it. :icon_mrgreen:

I hear you, would have been nice to know this when we purchased them eh? I still love the watch and will keep it but a little annoyed at the salesman.

I'm just thinking now of when you see a old western and the guys with the pocket watches open the glass and re-set the time to the clock in the town. We will have to do that every two weeks, but to the internet LMAO!

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Vancouver last week and stopped by a Breitling dealer and asked how much it should be out, he put it on a watch time tester and it was showing that it was out 7 seconds a day, well within range as others have already posted.

If you guys want your watch checked this machine was really cool, took a few moments and didn't have to open the watch, he just placed it on the machine and a digital readout displayed the variance. Cool! I'm sure most high end watch places have this type of equipment.