Buy a GTR

Allan-Herbie

The sad thing is that she excites me more than the car. I really want to be excited about it but for some reason I'm just numb.

It doesnt arrive here until mid 09!

Don't complain. You get all the other cool cars before us, like Lotus Eagle, which is supposed to be here in mid '09. Hey, uh, wanna trade? :D

I think its a great car, and looks to be alot of fun to drive and for a great price. Its not an exotic, but it performs like one. Its one of those cars you buy to be a little different and drive everyday instead of beating up on the weekend car.

I like the R34's better

:iamwithstupid:

If I may offer some perspective. Crude as it may sound but let's just say the R35 GTR in N America is like a Cor-POS in Japan. Both cars are about equal status on foreign turf. The original Skyline GTR rose to fame when it virtually rewrote all the racing records "in Japan" and claimed international status when the R32 outdone a 911 turbo at the 'Ring. It's much respected in Japan (fueled by plenty of national and ethnic pride) but it's far from being "exotic" and "super" status. Just like the V-ette here, it's not bad of a performer in some aspect and there are plenty of followers who swear by it. But again, it's far from being an exotic or supercar. "Rarity" can easily transpire into many myths especially when preliterate movies such as the "Fast & Furious" franchise are involved. Likewise, in Japan, one will get a lot of oohs & aahs when one has a V-ette, a Camero, a Trans Am or even a low-riding Impala! The Skyline gained much status due to its rarity over here and it does offer a lot of bang for the buck as it can be easily modded to match exotic/super car performances without much expense --- at least by numbers. But there simply is no comparison by the feel. At the end of the day, it's still a mass production Japanese car for many many people. Sure there are a few limited production models that deserves proper reckoning; so too are a few limited production V-ette. Again, great on paper and some actually do perform, but the overall feel is no where near.

The new R35 GTR is no where the car like the original Skyline GTR, 32, 33 or 34! The "DNA" aren't even the same. Nissan simply cashes in with the GTR moniker. Is it a good car? No doubt, it has to be for marketing success thus keeping Nissan's shareholders happy and, once again, a matter of national and ethnic pride. Henceforth all the resurrection about new 'Ring times and performance figures. But at the end, it's a mass-produced car built almost like all the other Nissan's. (Almost because it does have a hand-assembled engine but that's part of the marketing hype.) When the R34 bowed out in 2002, the RB26DETT power plant went out with it (Z-tune's don't count as there are only 20 made and all from used R34 GTR's). All the R32's, 33's & 34's were so easily modded at reasonably $$ to get monstrous power were what made them "legendary". But no longer for the R35. To comply with emission laws, the original engine is dead and the new car has way too many electronics and sophisticated/crack-safe ECU that would make mods a nightmare. That was part of the deal with the Japanese and other governments to make the new car a world model. Even within Japan, there are so many gizmo within the car --- when one is at Suzuka or Tsukuba etc, the car's GPS recognizes the track and automatically set the car on "track" mode. But after a day at the track, one needs to bring the car back to Nissan for a reset in order for the car to function properly for the regular road again. Even changing a set of tires requires a visit back to Nissan for proper calibration etc... So, if anything else, the North American version of the GTR, with all of our strict DOT laws, would be more docile but just as much pain to maintain and even more painful to mod. It probably can perform but who's driving: you or its computers? It simply isn't even close to the Skyline GTR's.

I am not trashing the car. But it really isn't as "legendary" as it claims to be. Being a brand new car offered first time as a world car, it probably has its fair share of teething pain as well. I would wait for the special production down the road, assuming they make it over here. Or perhaps wait till all the hype dies down and pick one up at a price that a Nissan should be. Until then, despite having the steering wheel on the other side and a lot of importing red tape, the R34 is a much funner car to get. The fact that it's price (as a used car) in Japan had not gone down but up instead after the release of the R35 clearly is a good indicator of the R34's worthiness.

:iamwithstupid:

If I may offer some perspective. Crude as it may sound but let's just say the R35 GTR in N America is like a Cor-POS in Japan. Both cars are about equal status on foreign turf. The original Skyline GTR rose to fame when it virtually rewrote all the racing records "in Japan" and claimed international status when the R32 outdone a 911 turbo at the 'Ring. It's much respected in Japan (fueled by plenty of national and ethnic pride) but it's far from being "exotic" and "super" status. Just like the V-ette here, it's not bad of a performer in some aspect and there are plenty of followers who swear by it. But again, it's far from being an exotic or supercar. "Rarity" can easily transpire into many myths especially when preliterate movies such as the "Fast & Furious" franchise are involved. Likewise, in Japan, one will get a lot of oohs & aahs when one has a V-ette, a Camero, a Trans Am or even a low-riding Impala! The Skyline gained much status due to its rarity over here and it does offer a lot of bang for the buck as it can be easily modded to match exotic/super car performances without much expense --- at least by numbers. But there simply is no comparison by the feel. At the end of the day, it's still a mass production Japanese car for many many people. Sure there are a few limited production models that deserves proper reckoning; so too are a few limited production V-ette. Again, great on paper and some actually do perform, but the overall feel is no where near.

The new R35 GTR is no where the car like the original Skyline GTR, 32, 33 or 34! The "DNA" aren't even the same. Nissan simply cashes in with the GTR moniker. Is it a good car? No doubt, it has to be for marketing success thus keeping Nissan's shareholders happy and, once again, a matter of national and ethnic pride. Henceforth all the resurrection about new 'Ring times and performance figures. But at the end, it's a mass-produced car built almost like all the other Nissan's. (Almost because it does have a hand-assembled engine but that's part of the marketing hype.) When the R34 bowed out in 2002, the RB26DETT power plant went out with it (Z-tune's don't count as there are only 20 made and all from used R34 GTR's). All the R32's, 33's & 34's were so easily modded at reasonably $$ to get monstrous power were what made them "legendary". But no longer for the R35. To comply with emission laws, the original engine is dead and the new car has way too many electronics and sophisticated/crack-safe ECU that would make mods a nightmare. That was part of the deal with the Japanese and other governments to make the new car a world model. Even within Japan, there are so many gizmo within the car --- when one is at Suzuka or Tsukuba etc, the car's GPS recognizes the track and automatically set the car on "track" mode. But after a day at the track, one needs to bring the car back to Nissan for a reset in order for the car to function properly for the regular road again. Even changing a set of tires requires a visit back to Nissan for proper calibration etc... So, if anything else, the North American version of the GTR, with all of our strict DOT laws, would be more docile but just as much pain to maintain and even more painful to mod. It probably can perform but who's driving: you or its computers? It simply isn't even close to the Skyline GTR's.

I am not trashing the car. But it really isn't as "legendary" as it claims to be. Being a brand new car offered first time as a world car, it probably has its fair share of teething pain as well. I would wait for the special production down the road, assuming they make it over here. Or perhaps wait till all the hype dies down and pick one up at a price that a Nissan should be. Until then, despite having the steering wheel on the other side and a lot of importing red tape, the R34 is a much funner car to get. The fact that it's price (as a used car) in Japan had not gone down but up instead after the release of the R35 clearly is a good indicator of the R34's worthiness.

Very well put together. I agree with you on everyting accept that the new R35 just looks way better especially from the rear. The GTR will always be a Nissan at the end of the day no matter how good it gets. Dont get me wrong, I love it and the way it performs BUT there is just to much hype and why is there so much hype? is it becuase it's a Jap car which is keeping up with it's Italian counterparts? Hmmm.

Very well put together. I agree with you on everyting accept that the new R35 just looks way better especially from the rear. The GTR will always be a Nissan at the end of the day no matter how good it gets. Dont get me wrong, I love it and the way it performs BUT there is just to much hype and why is there so much hype? is it becuase it's a Jap car which is keeping up with it's Italian counterparts? Hmmm.

Thanks. All of the original Skyline GTR's shared chassis & some body panels with the Skyline series so their styling was somewhat limited. The R35 is a standalone design henceforth it's not even related to the current Skyline/ Infiniti G35/37 line (different DNA as I called it). I agree that the rear of the new car looks good with the sharp strong lines and LED/jewel effect taillights. But the front, IMO, is not good at all --- way too bulky. Comparatively, the GTR Proto looked much better than the production car. Look closely and you'll see that the R35's side profile resembles strongly to the current Ford Mustang! :eusa_wall: But anyway, that's just my interpretation.

The hype is obviously a marketing technique. Nissan cashes in on the "mystique" and even uses "The Legend is Real" as a sales slogan in Japan. So-called "Godzilla" is now available worldwide for the first time! Availability is kept deliberately low to maximize profit. The hype is that for a fraction of the costs of some exotics/supercars and/or some performance icons, one gets a stock car which has performance figures to match or exceed. "Regular" people can now buy a car and (here's the kicker) need not to possess good driving skills to pilot a GTR run alongside with the exotics/supercars.

I like the car too but more so on the R34 because it's just so versatile & easy to get more performance out of it. As your say, the new car is simply too much hype and this is only the initial effort; we all know that better ones are not so far away --- V-spec, M-spec, R-tune, S-tune, N1, Nur or whatever Nissan is going to call them.