Veyron HP???

Falken

Does the Veyron make 1001Hp at the wheels or at the crank?

With Allans GTT making 1005hp at the wheels it just got me curious.

At the crank. But I believe that is some form of European horsepower, i believe its like 987 sae horsepower or something like that. Although they say that the 1001hp in the veyrons could be an understatement like many manufacturers do these days... :huh:

I believe they are making no less that 1050 at the crank now

Even if they were, thats still quite a bit less power than the G TT makes, and atleast 800lbs heavier..

1001 was the official goal........so far, as each one is dynoed prior to sale, Schreiber states the least output achieved has been 1035hp at the crank. Lets remeber, its how its used that matters, notwithstanding the near 1000lb torque figures!

Pre-release gumpf...

'When all is said and done, that power adds up to 1,001 horsepower if you record your figures at an air temperature of around 110 degrees. In a more normal climate, it's more powerful even than that, with up to around 1,050 hp available'

Yeah i thought that was Crank HP as well but i just wanted a clarification. I thought that maybe with Allan shooting for 1000+ that the Veyron made 1000+ at the wheels.

Not to start another topic...but since the Veyron has four turbo's or essentially is turbo charged...why hasnt someone turned up the boost? I'd think on an engine that large even the slightest increase in boost pressure could net 100+ HP. Does the factory not allow owners to tamper with the cars? or would the ECU need a complete remap to be safe? i'm sure there is a good reason why we havent seen a 1200hp tune running around, but again i'm just curious if anyone has more insight.

Yeah i thought that was Crank HP as well but i just wanted a clarification. I thought that maybe with Allan shooting for 1000+ that the Veyron made 1000+ at the wheels.

Not to start another topic...but since the Veyron has four turbo's or essentially is turbo charged...why hasnt someone turned up the boost? I'd think on an engine that large even the slightest increase in boost pressure could net 100+ HP. Does the factory not allow owners to tamper with the cars? or would the ECU need a complete remap to be safe? i'm sure there is a good reason why we havent seen a 1200hp tune running around, but again i'm just curious if anyone has more insight.

When I get one, Ill do it!

You know, when you buy the fastest production car in the world, tuning it may not be the first thing on your mind :icon_mrgreen:

You know, when you buy the fastest production car in the world, tuning it may not be the first thing on your mind :icon_mrgreen:

It would be on mine! :icon_thumleft:

Is that 1001hp claimed by the Veyron (crank or wheels) on pump gas?

Crank, 100 Octane. Here is an idea to ponder, if you can get 1000HP out of the GTT, just think about the figures an even more over engineered Veryon block can handle.

I dont even understand why the Veyron needed turbo's in the first place...its an 8litre W16!!! There are quite a few V8 engines out there making 500hp NA...i would have thought that Bugatti could have gotten 1000hp NA out of 16 cylinders. I also think that would have set the bar a lot higher, just about anyone can buy a car and TT it to 1000+ Hp...Gallardo, viper, supra,porsche, POS, hell even EVO's but 1000hp NA...very few are even close. SSC, Koeningsegg and Salleen are all forced induction, the only car that comes to mind is the Ferrari FXX which i think makes around 800hp (Which i think is damn impressive for a NA V12, thats probably what the Veyron makes without its turbo's). Just my $0.02.

Getting 1,000 horsepower out of 8 liters would mean a specific output of 125 horsepower per liter, which is very difficult to do on a normally aspirated road going engine that is meant to last for so many miles. You would have to make the power with high revs, which gets much harder as the displacement increases.

As a comparison, the Ferrari Scuderia pushes out 117 bhp/liter, and that is relatively small high revving engine.

The Enzo makes 108 hp/liter

Carrera GT makes 106/liter

Gallardo makes 104/liter

McLaren F1 makes 102/liter

LP640 makes 98 hp/liter

POS Plastic mess-06 makes 72hp/liter

The closest I could come up with was the Honda S2000 when it first came out, which was 120 hp/liter. That engine was 2 liters and revved to 9,000 rpm. Honda later changed the car with slightly more displacement and slightly less horsepower, probably because it was too peaky and possibly had reliability issues.

The closest I could come up with was the Honda S2000 when it first came out, which was 120 hp/liter. That engine was 2 liters and revved to 9,000 rpm. Honda later changed the car with slightly more displacement and slightly less horsepower, probably because it was too peaky and possibly had reliability issues.

IIRC, they changed the engine because it had the torque of a small vibrator with flat batteries. The new engine has the torque of a slightly bigger vibrator on slightly less flat batteries. It's still a pain in the ass to drive....it's nice that an engine can rev to 9k, but when you have to live there to get any power out of it, it gets old, REAL FAST.

IIRC, they changed the engine because it had the torque of a small vibrator with flat batteries. The new engine has the torque of a slightly bigger vibrator on slightly less flat batteries. It's still a pain in the ass to drive....it's nice that an engine can rev to 9k, but when you have to live there to get any power out of it, it gets old, REAL FAST.

Yes, as I recall some more, I believe that they increased to 2.2 liters by increasing the stroke, but because the stroke was longer, they had to reduce the redline down to 8,000 I believe, so power output decreased by a few horsepower. On the street low and midrange torque is more important than squeezing the last bit of hp out of the motor. A race car is a different story.

• 3 weeks later...
Crank, 100 Octane. Here is an idea to ponder, if you can get 1000HP out of the GTT, just think about the figures an even more over engineered Veryon block can handle.

No, 97octane.