can the speedometer be calibrated/adjusted?

gallardodriver

As some of you are aware, the speedometer on the G tends to read 7-10% too high. I can confirm this is the case with my car too. This means the odometer likely is reading too high too (which hurts resale value). Can the dealer re-calibrate the speedo?

As some of you are aware, the speedometer on the G tends to read 7-10% too high. I can confirm this is the case with my car too. This means the odometer likely is reading too high too (which hurts resale value). Can the dealer re-calibrate the speedo?

Almost every car sold (Bar the SLR, Veryon) have Spedos that read 7-10% too high. It also has no effect on resale so do not worry about it too much.

I think I read a test and one Bentley speedometer was also perfectly accurate.

....This means the odometer likely is reading too high too .....

No.

Even though the speedo is 10% high, I've found the odometer to be fairly accurate. I compared the odometer with interstate mile markers on a recent trip and after 100 miles it was less than a few tenths of a mile off. That's better than 1% accuracy - assuming of course that the mile markers are accurately placed.

Yes, I asked a lambo tech at San Francisco BMC, and he said the odometer is not affected by the speedo error. So rest easy!

-matt

Use a sharpie and write the real numbers on the glass instead. Win!@

hasn't this always been a common lambo problem....i know dan's complained of it in his 6.0 and a certain member managed to get his speedo to read 219!

• 2 weeks later...
It makes me feel like Im going faster! :eusa_dance:

Its shoddy that the speedo is so inaccurate. My wife's Maserati Grantourismo has a speedo which is pretty dead on accurate at 100mph: ditto my brother in law's F430. I have a small collection of classics and they all have speedos which are pretty dead on from A '51 XK120 onwards. The only other car I have with a significantly overreading speedo is a '99 aston vantage supercharged 550.

Interesting - how fast do all of you who boast about having had your Gallardo's at 200mph or whatever really think you were going??

Sorry for two posts.

In the motorcycle world we have a thing called a yellow box thet can recalibrate the pulses used for the speedo.

This is used when changing chain sprockets that change the final gear ratio thus putting the speedo out.

Just a thought

Russell

If I am worried about the speed I use the GPS and not the speedo. At 80 on the speedo my LP640 is doing about 74

Russell

Fully agree.

I did that for a while but since my speedo has a constant 10% error across the entire range, I've taken off the unsightly GPS and just do simple mental exercises now.

From some research I just did, 'most' U.S. vehicles tend to read on average 2-4% faster on the speedo than actual, but none that read slower (from factory). 7-10% though is a bit much... that means that at 200 mph, the Lambos are actually doing 180-186 mph...

Honda lost a lawsuit based on a 3.75% odo error...id be curious if the odometer is 10% off as well..i see that doltmo has done a visual, has anyone done a official calibrated odo reading besides what the dealer is saying?

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:YuFVd...;cd=1&gl=us

I haven't (and would also be interested to hear if someone has), but I'd bet a significant sum of money that my odo is off at least 10%. It was very noticeable the first time I drove the car.

• 4 weeks later...

I just realized that my car was going slower than what my speedometer was saying when i was driving from LA to Vegas today... i told my parents (who were driving their car) to set the cruise control at 80 and i tried to drive at the same speed on the next lane....i had to do almost 90 (not quite) to keep up with them....

y is this so?????????? with the technology and everything i assume it had to be done on purpose by the factory.... for safety issues maybe???

y is this so?????????? with the technology and everything i assume it had to be done on purpose by the factory.... for safety issues maybe???

Beyond typical Italian quality control, it's also a marketing gimmick; gives you bragging, albeit inaccurate, or bullshitting rights.

I say Italian QC, because the fuel gauge is also inaccurate. At zero miles left to go, there's still 4-5 gallons left in the tank. Makes you think the car can run on fumes for so long. FoS!!!

As I understand, this is done on purpose. A few years ago I was told that a factory can be fined a lot of money in Europe if a vehicle is going faster than the reading on the speedo so the Euro cars are "programed" with the speed differential. Seemed a logical reason.

As I understand, the faster you go, the bigger the spread.

This is also true of BMW's- not mentioned.

Dave :icon_thumleft:

• 9 months later...

I just plugged a ScanGuageII OBD2 Reader into my Spyder.

Apart from fault code reading, it also reads real time data recorded on my ECU.

I discovered that the speed reading on it is the same as my GPS.

So it's the Speedometer and not the sensors that is inaccurate.

Great little gadget. It gives me, among other info, Intake Air Temp, Engine Load, Manifold Air Pressure, Ignition Timing read outs.

Now to find a place to mount it for easy reading on the go.

I posted this previously, but here we go again.

The G is 10% too high on the speedometer. We calibrated it against a 5-satellite GPS triangulation, and it was exactly 10% too high over a range from 30kph to 160kph. Consistently.

Then we drove it next to a calibrated C-o-r-v-e-t-t-e that has a dead-accurate speedometer (as all non-POS cars should) using radios for communication. Again, same 10% difference noted over the speed range noted above.

Dealer advises there is no way to recalibrate speedo.

The fuel gauge is ridiculously f'd up also.

It is the Italian way....

Don't get me wrong, carbuff. Yours and all others' point is accepted without argument. I also have a perfect 10% higher reading which I've mentioned earlier.

I have always thought the calibration was needed at the wheel sensors and not the speedometer unit.

It therefore amused me no end when the ScanGuageII read the same speed as the GPS with near dead on accuracy.

As for the fuel tank, I presume you mean the 5 gallon reserve when the read out says 0mi left. This is because of the dual tank system they use. A topic already covered on another thread. I fully agree that it is a peculiarity that is frustrating.

I undertand, It maybe possible to fix the wheel sensors, but never seen any info on this.

As soon as our fuel tank needle starts moving off FULL, the tank is down 30 litres. At half a tank on the needle, it is down 50-60L, or about 2/3 empty. I would not dare run it any lower, especially since it likes 92 octane fuel, which is not available everywhere around here.

Nice to know that the odometer is accurate, not connected to the speedo, and we are not registering more miles than actually driven.

Huh?

Think you got it wrong here, my friend.

Based on what I just experienced, the wheel sensors are dead on accurate. It's the speedo read out that's screwed up.

As for the fuel tank, mine is pretty accurate to manufacturer's specs. Which means I will have consumed about 60ltr when the system shows that I am near 0km range. That's because 20ltr is intended to keep the fuel pump sucking evenly. I try to run it below 0km last week at high spped and 1 bank suddenly showed me that its catalytic converter over heated. Then my other bank showed up. After I filled up and let the system cool down, everything went back to normal.