Bringing a 924 back from the dead

Kerplop

Hey everyone. A few regulars here showed interest in my worklogs and Allan is still convinced i should drop a 944 turbo motor in this puppy.. anyway, asked Allan if he thought I should post my worklogs up in here. I know some people used to drive these little cars and know that a few people like watching projects come to live. So by demand of some people I decided to post up the entire worklogs and continue my progress on here!

Let me start off by my reasoning behind wanting a 924.

When I was a kid we had a family friend with a 924. It meant a lot to me, the first Porsche I ever sat in, rode in and was around. It was a vague memory but an awesome one.

Every day on my way home I drove by a wrecking yard. I will never forget the time I saw my "first Porsche" there. One had a mishap and a fairly clean 924 with only needing minor fixes was there. I wanted it as my first car, something to fix up but my dad told me no. I was sufficed to deal with an old mustang ii for my first car. Now... i won't complain, great car to me, my first car, fond memories and i was extremely appreciative and paid it off in full for my first car.

Years later the bug was there, wanted that little car. I had at this time been in a few other P-Cars. Driven a 944 and ultimately really truly gotten into the world of sportbikes, so these cars were by all means "slow" and not my thing.

I had got a decent setup for suspension in my daily but only autocrossed it a few times when it was stock. As I built the suspension for fun in my daily, my mustang took a poop. I fixed it... fixed up the car and sold it. I was left with a semi-modified daily driver which i couldn't really afford to screw up. And my sportbikes of course, LOL!

Years later here I am wanting to get into trackdays, autox and dig my feet into true blue trackdays. I thought "You know, i don't want to start with something fast. I started on a SMALL sportbike.... and for trackdays i'm going to start with a SMALL car."

I hate power this and power that. I hate anti-lock brakes. I hate traction control. None of my bikes have it, none of my cars have had it and maybe i'm old fashioned but i hate knowing that something else is emulating something because i'm not doing it right... so i figure if i can drive properly i shouldn't need it.. I figure if I'm going to get into track days I want to learn to drive the things as they were meant to be. I wanted something that was light, small, fun to work on, interesting, not something everyone else had out there and something i could challenge myself with.

My search for my childhood first Porsche came to life.

Now... I had the money to buy a running breathing 924. Fact of the matter is, I wanted something to be a challenge so I could learn to get the hang of the car, how to work on it. Much like my ducati, which started as an "okay" bike that had "some issues" that is now a gorgeous wonderful bike that is reliable as ever.

My choice was between a guy who had "most of the work done" with a gorgeous interior and a rebuilt engine that needed a tranny.... the other choice was a running car that was having "sporadic issues" and a few nice running specimens.

Then there was one that really sparked out with a history. It was a single owner car. All the original paperwork. All the original pieces that came with it. Never modified.

Catch was it hadn't run in 10 years. I thought "Holy hell this will be fun!"

We got there and this wonderful couple had a story that basically the woman had it bought originally in 1977, she was the single owner, and less than 100,000 miles put on this little car. Unfortunately her husband passed on and she parked it on the property where he passed on so that her neighbors wouldn't trespass on the property. Rest the poor fellow's soul.

Years later she was with a new guy and had moved on as happy as ever and apparently was ready to move on.

When we got ready to move the car it wouldn't budge. The car wouldn't start... crap was rusted... hell the rotors were solidly BOUND to the brakepads. This sucker wouldn't move.... but the clutch moved oddly enough. We were able to yank the car loose from the pads and chain pull it with a comealong onto the trailer.

we sinched it up and trailered it home. My challenge was all the sudden there.

Upon getting home we inspected it. Things were falling off... shit was rusted. The car wouldn't move and when we opened up the engine bay dear god I thought my friends were going to have a heart attack. It took 4 of us to push it into the parking spot.

A day later, the work started.

Long story short, it took me less than 4 months to get it running and driving on the road. A lot of people said it couldn't be done, the car was better off being crushed. But... well.. check the worklogs and see for yourself :)

What I will post is the edited versions of my worklogs off my places that i have converted these logs and the progress thus far. I will also add to the progress as more is made :)

Again, for those who have shown interest, thanks for the support. It's a HELL of a crazy project to take on and the car is making more progress every time i work on it.

I look at it like i will learn more in the process with this project, not have to feel guilty for tearing someone else's already nice ride up, and have my own thing in the end :)

Project - an initial nightmare.

Goal - to get the car running as intended and then mod the crap out of it

Progress - So far..... so good.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

07-31-08

Haven't got a name for her yet. Anyway. Wanted one since I was a child. So here I am restoring it. Figured I'd post it up in project logs as it is a project.

First thing is first, I want it running so i can at least drive it. Then as I accumulate body parts and get ready to paint I'll make an overnight transition (that way it isn't in primer for months, god i hate driving cars around like that it's embarrassing).

So here's the picture of when we picked it up and put it on the trailer.

cid_978.jpg

Finally home.

IMG_4372.jpg

Couple quick pics of the interior

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg

"That Porsche is riding our ass!"

0_IMAGE_201.jpg

Moving on.

Progress.

Seats were covered in mold/mildew (rear seats), cleaned them off and sanitized them. As well, tonight, i bugbombed my car finally. It was infested with spiders and black widows. Don't need one of those crawling up on me while I'm driving.

Fixed the hatchback window/lock, found out it was rusted. Going to need to replace them entirely:

IMG_4363.jpg

Above and beyond this I got rid of the seat covers. They were old and falling apart. Literally. Pictures of that to come.

Seats have pictures of them fixed as well. Camera I left at work though :(

On top of this, we managed to get some deep penetrating oil into the racks on the bottom of the seats. Me and my friend will be taking them out and cleaning them. The original seats have an awesome design, I plan on reupholstering them. This on top of the rear seats and the seats will be done.

2 places of the rear panels need replaced up near the seats, they're warped, but a simple fix. The door panels do not seem to be warped, though I haven't had a thorough chance to really dig into them and see how them clean up.

The carpet seems to be fine, no rips or tears. Needs shampoo'd.

Dash has tears. Was covered up by a cover mat which mimics the dash by sitting on top of it, but that as well warped and is showing wear. Seems the previous owner didn't know too much about interior preservation. This will need replaced.

Console needs replaced around shifter reaching back to rear seats.

Fuel system needs an overhaul and replacement or upgrade. Once this is done the car should start and should be driveable as transmission shifts and engine does not appear to have any rust inside. Needs an entire flush of all mechanical components and fluids as well as all rubber components replaced.

More pics to come on sunday of the progress.

8-02-08

Parts ordered today:

4 924 NA fuel injectors

4 924 NA injector seals

1 924 thermo time switch

1 924 NA aux air valve

1 924 NA cold start valve

8-02-08

Pics of tonight's progress. All door panels turned out to be just fine. Here is a picture of the rear seat and door panels prior to restore.

All I can say is "HELL FUCKIN YEAH!"

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

Now check it out. After stripped and dressed.

IMG_4379.jpg

Cleaned and stripped

IMG_4383.jpg

After dressing

IMG_4384.jpg

PS: Bugbombed the car. fcuking black widows in this car!

8-5-08

Here's some more pics of some progress and more pics of the car.

First off, the exterior damage. Seems pretty easily fixable.

Light assembly and rear portion.

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

Front passenger fender

IMG_4395.jpg

Porsche Emblem (Rest in peace emblem ..... i hate vandals)

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

Locking mechanism needs a new locking mechanism...

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

Fuel filter?

IMG_4394.jpg

WTF is this thing, the wingnut is stripped.

IMG_4402.jpg

Dreaded engine bay of doom.

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

Ok now I'm trying to figure out and ensure these tubes went into this. They were hanging near it and are brittle and busted. One looks like a vacuum line of some sort?

IMG_4390.jpg

Now progress:

Took out the center console, took out that ugly ass shift boot and cleaned out the area a little. Marked my wires. Took out the gauges to work on them, recrimp and fix some of the wiring.

Before:

IMG_4386.jpg

After:

IMG_4388.jpg

The original radio. (i wonder if it still works...)

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

Gauges fixed nothing a little powered by armstrong couldn't fix.

IMG_4407.jpg

8-6-08

Synopsis

The engine appears to have no rust inside it. The tranny shifts, goes into gear, clutch works, doesn't stick. However, everything else needs replaced. I'm getting a lot of naysayers saying they think the car has flood damage (it didn't get flooded, it sat in the valley and has sun damage, 2 different things).

I have fuel system parts on the way just for that very reason, to get it up and running as it's mostly the fuel system that needs replaced.

8-11-08

Ok more progress!

Well. Today was a pretty extensive amount of work to clean up the interior. And amazingly, it smells a lot better. It seems most of the stink is hanging out in the carpet and the foams.

I vacuumed it extensively today and managed to get a huge portion of the trunk cleaned out too. I found lots of crazy things. Old papers, old pens, dimes and nickels (Hey i'm getting paid by the hour now! sweet!), even a hair roller/curler thingy.

The carpet isn't actually bad at all, nor is it worn through or tattered or bad. The carpet just needs shampoo'd really really bad. I am going to try and pull all of the carpet out of the car and clean it and then put it back in, rather than just getting new carpet. I see no reason to actually replace something if it isn't bad and it's just dirty.

- Vacuum

- More alcohol

- Clean out the rust

- Clean out all the garbage

- Removed seats

The seats were actually a huge PITA to get out because even a 1/4 ratchet won't clear the seat and hit the bolt. The problem wasn't that the ratchet wasn't clearing it, but rather that the seat actually wasn't moving all the way back. I had to sit and rock a rusty seat back and forth, basically creating it's own path in the rusty tracks till they came loose and went all the way back so i could access the bolts. I eventually got them out...

Except for one... I had to get out my heavy cutting wheel on my dremel and cut through the bolt, which ended up smoldering in a pile of rust i didn't notice and smoking (thank god i caught that in time).

After i got it out i spent a hefty amount of time cleaning up all the crap in there and vacuuming it out. The results are night and day.

Now all I need is new tracks for the seats and we'll also reupholster them and i'll have gorgeous new black leather seats. I was considering racing seats, but these seats look so nice, I really can't say no. I think what I'll do is go ahead and embroider the oldschool porsche logo onto the seat heads. It'll look nice :)

Enough talk. Pics and progress.

As you can see.... The tracks are rusted.

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

Pretty nasty

IMG_4413.jpg

Seats aren't too bad, just need reupholstered.

IMG_4412.jpg

VERY dirty.

IMG_4414.jpg

Is that a hair roller from the 70s?

IMG_4416.jpg

Spent a while cleaning it up....

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

8-11-08

I am contacting my old boss tomorrow to see what he wants to reupholster the seats...

On wednesday i go to portland and will be picking up my fuel injection system.

Never dealt with a fuel injection system like this before. CIS.

Very interesting

8-16-08

Picked up the fuel system the other night.... my parts got here yesterday but i've had no time to unpack them. Don't have a day off to really sit down and work on it till sunday. Will have more pics and updates then.

PS: Thank you to the guys off the 924 boards for the help!

8-30-08

Sorry guys... as of today i'll be over 60 hours deep in overtime, i've literally had no time.

Tomorrow is my parent's 25th anniversary. But monday I have to myself. Expect results monday :) Sincere apologies for those who have subscribed or who are watching this thread and haven't seen much lately. You'll see plenty :)

One good thing...

- Did get into contact with my old boss that i worked for as a teenager. I have full permissions to use his sandblaster for whatever I want. I'll be giving lots of part a glass bath and FINALLY diving into the engine bay this week.

- Sent pictures of my seats to my old boss. Should have a quote for the seats getting reupholstered soon as I didn't really get any definitive answers from the people I asked about my seats. The other people I asked were too busy to take any more work on at this time.

- Been spending my evenings cleaning the parts for the fuel system so they're presentable.

9-1-08

Major update #4

Today I got pretty much all of the fuel system out except for the intake manifold and a few of the lines which I am very iffy about taking out until I'm ready to put the new one just to keep from having any contaminants in the lines and engine, etc....

The injectors are crap (at least the cold start injector) so i assume the rest look insanely dirty. After I took off the throttle pieces I noticed that it's in need of a dire cleaning. It functions, and needs a cleanup... but it's in perfectly fine working condition, just dirty.

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

I also took out a huge majority of brackets and rusted parts to add to the box of glassbeading that needs to be done. It'll feel nice to get it all glassbeaded and painted...

I need to get a repair manual to identify what is what. But here's some pictures of the timing belt and accessories. I found what appears to be A/C at the bottom left (I assume). Which needs to go if it is....

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

Additionally, it seems that actually a LARGE majority of the hoses are actually still flexible and seem fine... no cracks and no splitting. Amazingly, even the timing belt didn't seem too bad... (still going to replace it of course).

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

As you can see, anything with a gasket is sealed, and even though all of this surface corrosion and rust occurred, almost anything electrical is perfectly fine.

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

I also found out why this car is so hard to find parts for...

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

Keeping all the little brackets... don't want to lose this little bugger.

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

Last but not least I ripped out the dash cover and need to figure out what I want to do with it... replace the dash? Or, get a cover and put it on right...

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

Mmmmm spiders.

IMG_4556.jpg

So quick cliffnotes version:

- Removed all throttle pieces, coldstart injector, most of the fuel lines, several brackets holding in most of it.

- Removed brackets holding part of the cooling system

- All intake/Filters/Tubing removed for intake

- Hoses for vacuum lines checked, some removed... most were fine

- Removed dash cover

- Checked hood cable to make sure it wasn't rusted, pulled part of lever to be sandblasted

- All brackets, rusted pieces and pieces with corrosion added to the glassbead/paint box.

- Most fluid containers moved to the side to allow room to get to the fuel lines so they can be replaced (they route underneath the car and down to the accumulator)

- All throttle pieces removed into separate box to be checked for wear pieces and be rebuilt, then glassbeaded/painted

9-4-08

Dropping the gas tank sunday... as long as the gas had no water in it, not bad gas, and no moisture got in i should be hooking up the ZX2 battery and the new fuel system and testing it to see if she'll get pressure in the system.

Cross your fingers. I'll be using the crap lines and some of the iffy lines to test it, my main concern is whether or not the fuel pump works and if the accumulator is okay. I was told the accumulator might ACTUALLY be fine. The pump on the other hand will be questionable dependent on whether or not the gas had water in it and if anything internally has gone bad.

Cross your fingers for me!

9-13-08

- waiting on my old boss for a go on the glassbeading. if i get the go ahead i'll be doing this tomorrow.

- found out i can entirely remove the emissions with no worries as well as the old air filter that goes with it. WEIGHT REDUCTION! and more space under the hood! pics to come on this tomorrow.

9-14-08

Got the other fuel system installed today with all lines inspected and they look GREAT! Unfortunately still pretty dirty on the outside, and the plastic is pretty brittle and old. So these will only work temporarily. Need to buy new lines or get some others made, depends on how much it'll cost, which is most effective and efficient.

Also blew off the ENTIRE engine bay and cleaned it up quite a bit. Got emissions removed entirely and that freed up a shit ton of space under the hood. Got the new injectors installed and checked all the little copper gaskets. It's mostly good to go.

I'd say i'm about 75% done in terms of getting it at least running.

Going to get some penetrating oil and pop it down the plugs to make sure the rings aren't seized but everything is mostly clean, i doubt it's seized but we'll see.

Pics to come, i took very few.... too busy today.

9-15-08

Ok folks, here's the pics of the engine bay after emissions was removed.

First is the pic before the entire fuel system was removed:

IMG_4537.jpg

Here's the picture after it was removed, as you can see, lots of room, pretty messy. You'll also notice the pump for the emissions, the belt, the air filter, the hoses...

IMG_4584.jpg

Closer view with the entire emissions system removed.

IMG_4583.jpg

Here's a brief diagram i found on google from another Porsche 924 owner of what the engine bay looks like. This diagram is hoses, wiring, and the fuel system routing.

spaghetti_alla_carbonara.jpg

I still have the throttle body removed and disassembled the entire thing. Here's some pictures of the plates before. One on the left is unclean, one on the right is sanitized in alcohol, brushed, and lightly polished.

IMG_4587.jpg

Here's a picture of the throttle body itself after a nice cleaning. Still have yet to thoroughly polish it.

IMG_4585.jpg

Pictures of the plates after a full cleaning. Note I did not polish the one with the indents in it because I did not want to chance messing up the point of them having that as my understanding is it deals with mixing the air/fuel better... However, I did fully polish the smaller plate.

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

I still need to take off the springs and clean up the whole throttle body and mess around with it so it's working at 100% as it's somewhat sticky still from the old rusted springs.

I installed the new fuel injectors yesterday. Turns out i have 12 injectors total. 4 original injectors, 4 i bought, and 4 were donated with the fuel system i was given. The ones I bought were the right size, but, wouldn't work with my fuel lines as they were meant for threaded lines (I may keep them and buy some threaded tips for my lines so i can use them, they are VERY clean, and from a later year 924), the ones that came with the fuel system are full of crap and soiled, they were able to be cleaned, but I mixed and matched them with the current injectors that were there so none had rust and all were clean. You can see all the way down the barrel and they are quite spotless...

I mixed and matched the lines as some of the ones that came with the CIS system that was donated were brittle, old, and even snapped. Mine did the same, but I inspected them first. However, the great part is that due to having 2 CIS system I have a crapload of those copper washers, all of which are in great condition, but now I have extras.

The cold start injector on the car that came with it was better than the one I bought, which sucks, because they aren't cheap, the one i bought used was rusted down inside, mine was pretty much flawless. I guess that goes to speak for worry about replacing parts when you haven't seen if they're bad yet anyway.....

I improvised on the brackets that held them in originally as the pump and parts of that system had some ginormous brackets helping to hold the CIS system in but really weren't necessary. I was able to remove probably a good 5-10LBS of brackets, emissions, bolts, nuts, etc.... that sucker was heavy.

I'd say I'm roughly 75% complete with getting it at least to running status.

Here's what is needed to get it running IF EVERYTHING ends up working fine.

- Battery

- Fresh gas (this is assuming the pump and accumulator are okay)

- Plugs

- Finish the throttle body

- Test the entire fuel system

- Penetrating oil to ensure the rings don't snap (this is assuming they are bound or seized, hopefully this is not the case, and thus far EVERY internal part is showing signs that they shouldn't be as they're all flawless so far inside)

The new accumulator looks FLAWLESS and after pulling the new CIS system apart it appears to be fine. It drove another 924 from Idaho to Portland, Oregon a year ago, so it should be fine. I also got a new aux air valve installed and the thermo time switch, all of which were tested before they were sent to me. So I guess for $90 in used parts, I still came out on top, those thermo time switches are NOT cheap....

So far so good!

I'm not even going to mention the wiring for now till it's started and working LOL

AND, got a haynes manual ordered for $6 off of amazon, w00t!

9-21-08

Ok, pretty big update.

So i took a look at the accumulator, not rusted, looks great. I didn't look inside, but as the rest of this car looks perfect, and it's sealed, I'm going to assume it's fine. At this point I need to rebuild/repair the throttle body and slap it back on, tune it up, get a battery, and fire this badboy up.

Fuel pump:

IMG_4624.jpg

Today's job included lots of penetrating oil onto the parts to get a lot of the parts off so I can get them in a glass bath.

I've been talking about glassbeading for a while, FINALLY got ahold of my old boss and he's letting me come in not this monday, but next monday. I've got a nice big box of brackets and crap to glassbead and repaint with some high heat paint.

First thing was first, getting rid of the old plugs so i could get into the combustion chamber to spray in some penetrating oil at hopes that there is nothing wrong with the rings. At this point, I'm going to assume this motor is fine. The plugs had no rust, were not seized in, and came right out. I'm almost wondering if some things on this car had been touched a few years ago as some of the parts still move.

Pic tutorial.

First off the plugs. Pulled them. not bad at all (don't mind the grit, i dropped them by accident)

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

I promised pics of the engine bay with the new lines installed.

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

I found some interesting things in the big folder of papers that were in the car when I bought it.

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_01322.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

After I got the plugs back in and some neversieze on the plugs... i went after the ignition system. First thing I wanted to check was the distributor. I pulled apart pieces of it and low and behold........

Perfect inside.

IMG_4608.jpg

After I looked at the ignition and determined it may have a fighting chance at getting this car started I decided to tackle other things that had been giving me crap. Like getting the bolts off the struts as they were rusted on. Time for PENETRATING OIL! (Warning: only for use on parts... not your girlfriend)

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

The pulley system too....

IMG_4623.jpg

I'm going to let the oil sit for a few days and see if I can get them off then. It helped with the spark plugs.

The next thing to tackle was the lights. They wouldn't BUDGE. The motor was pretty old, my friend gave me a new one, so I put that in, but played with the system a little before I put it back on to see if i could get it to move. Thankfully, thanks to NAPA penetrating oil... and some patience.....

VICTORY

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

The culprit? The ball and gaskets they sit in were gunked up and stuck.

IMG_4614.jpg

Found this while I was hunting in the back, cleaned it up. It's great!

IMG_4615.jpg

Pulled the door vents out, cleaning them up tonight

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

9-23-08

Found 2 sources for parts. Guy in washington off the 924 boards has offered me a deal i CANNOT refuse on the tail lamp assembly and lense, hatch locks and fender, he basically has a race car he is making, stripped out a few parts cars, and has tons of parts available for CHEAP. i have also found a source for a center console with no cracks, scratches or issues that is not broken but still waiting for a price quote.

RUNNING and in drivable condition in no time.... finished entirely? who knows :P

9-25-08

Throttle body is repaired, fixed, lubed, polished up on the inside and ready to be installed on the car again.

I now need a battery and to fit the vacuum lines properly and i'll be ready to test the system and see if she starts. I have pics of the throttle body but will have to upload them at lunch.

9-25-08

As you can see, the throttle body when i took it off was in pretty bad shape.

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

Last night thanks to elbow grease, alcohol, metal polish and mr dremel, and some penetrating oil and sandpaper, the throttle body is happy. Granted the bolts and springs are somewhat rusted still, they are now lubricated and sanded inbetween and works just as great as a new throttlebody. Turns out the other throttle body i cleaned up was the wrong one and wrong year, so i had to use the original :( You'll notice i polished the inside though best i could :)

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

Granted, once i get it all finished I will rebuild it entirely. But for now, i need to make sure it runs.

Got a new battery, coolant, oil, filter, and put the throttle body on tonight.

It turns over! The motor is NOT seized! This motor is good!

Motor for headlights works 100%, turn signals work, dash works, instruments work, panels work, lights work!

HOWEVER, I am not getting spark I think I smell fuel, so it seems to get fuel, but, i'm not 100% sure if it is correctly. Either way, first thing first, not getting spark. It's dark outside and 9:45 so i'm done working on it till I can get my haynes manual open and troubleshoot the system.

New plugs, gapped right, etc... so that's fine.

I am not sure how the entire ignition system works, so it could be something simple I'm missing. Will find out more on saturday.

9-26-08

ok some review on the ignition system.

i found a chart in the haynes manual that explains it. now, i checked the ignition control module and it looks absolutely fabulous and was sealed tight, no rot, no corrosion. however, the exterior and all connections going to it are rusted to shit.

so my thesis is going to be that we have a wiring problem.

i'll be going to the hardware store tomorrow morning bright and early to get a big bulk of stainless steel washers and nuts and bolts and some wire ends. it's time to get my soldering gun out and rewire this sucker. i plan on running some new wire as well to pro-actively eliminate having MORE issues in the future. not to mention if it is one thing i've learned in european vehicles, it's that they drive great but they're wired like crap. i'm not sure where I learned that *cough* ducati *cough* but i'm pretty sure i figured it out somewhere....

Not to mention i see no point in actually testing these things when the wiring sucks anyway, so i plan on starting with the basics FIRST, and going from there.

9-26-08

Tested coil, voltage go in, nothing come out

And then it broke.... so it appears i have a coil issue LOL

9-27-08

Ok turns out the way it's grounded has nothing to do with the way i tested it so it MIGHT be okay and I may be testing it wrong.

Will followup tomorrow with pics *sigh* lol

9-27-08

More parts on the way.

I FOUND SEAT RAILS AND A CONSOLE!

And they're in awesome condition!

9-27-08

A lot of progress today.

Found out why the headlights weren't working, the prop was misaligned and to top it off i found out why they wouldn't go back down. Turns out the motor relay was corroded and someone decided to rewire it but not crimp it right, so every time i touched the fuse box the headlight would go up........then down.......then up..... then down.. I had to screw with it a while until i got the right adjustment and retorque it back down and redo the wiring for it.. Because someone has been wanting a video.... here's a vid with the headlights working. I left the cell phone ring in because i thought it was funny.

Here's a brief picture of the fuse box. Not pretty.

IMG_4659.jpg

Picture of what i've been doing all day, re-grounding all my connections with new connectors, nuts, bolts, washers, wires and ends.

IMG_4658.jpg

And the coil broke :( Still works! No arcing, but, still, i should replace it at some point.

IMG_4657.jpg

Now, i'm not getting fuel and I don't know why. It isn't coming up to the distributor so it's one of the following things:

Pump>Accumulator>Filter>Lines

I'm going to aim at the pump maybe not working. I tested the connections and when you turn it over the fuel pump gets 10.x volts, so it IS getting voltage and it's staying. So I know it isn't the wiring, thank god that isn't the case.... The spark and fuel are both mysteries thus far, but until the wiring is ALL finished, I'm not even going to bother troubleshooting that.

9-29-08

Ok so here's what I started with in the engine bay.

IMG_4392.jpg

This is a picture of a box of rust.

IMG_4679.jpg

This is a picture of the box of rust turned into a clean pile of metal.

IMG_4680.jpg

This is the happy metal getting a nice fresh coat of high heat paint, low gloss, black, happy, fresh... fresh... happy paint.

Timing belt cover

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

Radiator reservoir brackets

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

Some of you may remember my happy friend mr rusty throttle body.

IMG_4541.jpg

Then we cleaned and polished him.

IMG_4650.jpg

And now he's painted. I still need to polish up the edges where the tubing goes. But at least it's clean now.

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

I was able to salvage 2 of the seat rails.

IMG_4689.jpg

Misc brackets

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

This isn't all the parts i got but i got tired of taking pictures. I'll have more to glassbead next week. God knows there's a LOT to do.

9-30-08

Tried some more things tonight and having no luck. Some guys from the 924board.org boards had recommended i have a switch hooked up wrong or not at all, and that was correct. I got the entire switching system hooked up right and there is still no action at the fuel pump. I may be missing something blatantly obvious. I will check when there is some light outside, i can't see shit in the engine bay right now.

10-1-08

Ok so here's the possibilities. After my testing which has been the following. Here's a diagram of how the fuel system goes together.

untitled-1.jpg

So here is what I tested:

- Tested the main connector going to the fuel pump. Gets 12v flashes as the key turns over. So that part works.

- Pulled fuel distributor out, checked it, bone dry.

- Checked all switches and vacuum to ensure that they were hooked up. At this time all hoses hooked up to metering valve are hooked up.

- Checked my fuses, they all look great. However, some connections have some corrosion. I may look into getting a fusebox at a place like autozone or napa, and updating it with more modern fuses, and rewiring the box my own way. These fuses are hard to find, primitive, and i don't feel like rewiring the box when i can get a pre-wired box and attach the connections. Other than that, most my stuff works.

- tested connection to the fuel pump switch at the metering valve and it tested nothing. i'm not sure if the circuit on the ignition has to be turning over, i will test this tonight. if it is then this confirms my suspicion that my circuitry is fine, and that my fuel pump is bad.

PS Timing belt and accessories belt. Total: $16.49.

(edit) If only the ZX2 were that cheap!

10-4-08

FUEL PUMP IS WORKING NOW!

I disassembled the frontend portion of it only to find out that it had entirely bound up from gas that had varnished and literally locked up the moving pieces. Nothing a little choke cleaner and armstrong, rags and patience couldn't fix. I'm not quite 100% done cleaning it yet but i will be tomorrow.

I drained the tank, only to find gas that was so old it had quite literally turned a dark dark dark yellow and smelled like a cross between nail polish remover, gasoline, and oil and glue. So nasty it made me sick to my stomach.

I hooked it up to the battery on my Ducati and sure enough, SPINNING action! This pump is good to go!

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

So if spark is coming tomorrow and the rest the fuel system works great, looks like we'll be good to go!

10-5-08

IT RUNS!

It starts, idles, runs, drives, shifts works, starts and stops!

Pics and video to come later tonight! It's currently parked in my garage going through ALL the fluids.

10-5-08

(inserting video i took but took forever to upload)

10-7-08

MORE parts on the way.

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total

1977 PORSCHE 924 2.0L 1983cc L4 MFI (2)

94442423101 Gear Shift Lever Components $ 2.16 $ 0.00 1 $ 2.16

01026 Contact Set $ 3.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 3.79

BECK/ARNLEY 1580020 (158-0020) Fuel Injector O-Ring $ 1.07 $ 0.00 4 $ 4.28

BECK/ARNLEY 0361244 Valve Cover Gasket Set $ 4.50 $ 0.00 1 $ 4.50

BOSCH 09020 Spark Plug Wire Set $ 25.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 25.79

BOSCH 04038 Distributor Rotor $ 2.62 $ 0.00 1 $ 2.62

DASHMAT 8065400 (80654-00-25) Dash Board Cover $ 30.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 30.79

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS GB423T Distributor Cap $ 3.98 $ 0.00 1 $ 3.98

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS UF95 Ignition Coil $ 35.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 35.79

Shipping Location 1 Ground $ 7.46

Shipping Location 2 Ground $ 15.52

Shipping Location 3 Ground $ 6.92

Shipping Location 4 Ground $ 7.44

Order Total $ 151.04

10-7-08

Well I went through the car tonight and was going to start ripping it apart in the interior but I ended up finishing my fusebox. Only to find out something is still majorly wrong. The headlights were working again tonight, then suddenly stopped after i moved the fusebox back into place. It would seem that I have a major wiring issue at the fuse box. My guess is going to be it's the back of the fuseback due to moving it seems to make things sporadically work and not work. This is probably what is causing my wiper issues, headlight issues, and headlight motor issues.

On a happier note, the car quite literally turned right over tonight at the turn of the key, didn't have to give it throttle or anything.

Related... I keep putting it in 4th instead of 1st gear as the gears are all pretty close together and i'm used to the escort's BIG jump in shifting, this is a much smaller and tighter move for the gears which i'm having difficulty getting used to LOL.

10-12-08

Ok removing the sound deadening tonight, wheel grinding down the floorpan to get the rust out. I removed all the carpet and took it down to the pressure washer. All but the last piece of carpet which sits in the front by your feet. It was amazing to see how much crap came out of the carpet...

The piece of carpet in the back seems to be a lost cause as it's entirely covered in mold/mildew and even after degreaser and a good amount of time in the pressure washer still isn't any better. It smells better, but still is stained and not that great.

I cleaned up the engine bay a bit. Before you go "ehhhh that's not THAT great" let me show you a picture of what I started with.

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

And now, the progress as of today.

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

Lots of progress to go. Will post more pics tomorrow. I'm coming down with something and am starting to feel like crap and am feeling puny and my muscles are weak and crappy so I must be catching whatever is going around here. So there won't be a LOT of progress but i'll still be putting out quality haha.

10-14-08

seat rails and center console came today

10-16-08

Tail lamp lense and brackets and hatch locks came today.

10-17-08

dash piece delayed 3 weeks :(

10-19-08

A small teaser pic or two of one of many things I completed today.

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

10-20-08

Ok guys. The car is puffing white smoke..... I guess I'm going to have to pull the head and check it out. Arg....

On the flip side, I'll have more than teaser pics today. I'm doing more weight reduction, as you can see I rewired the ignition system and am still working on a lot more things. Weight reduction is time consuming, ugh.

10-20-08

False alarm on the smoke. Turned out to be massive amounts of condensation in the exhaust. We have a clear exhaust now. Still running a little bit rough on the sides though. Seems like it's still misfiring once in a while and very shaky at idle. Sounds great when it's above 1500rpms. I'm thinking it could be a distributor problem. Thankfully i have a new cap, contacts and rotor for it. I'm not gonna do that today though. I've worked on this car literally every day i've had off the last month and a half, i'm taking a day off to chill and play some video games.

10-25-08

Brakes failed the other day.

Pedal went to the floor.

When I finally bled them I found that there was air coming up on passenger side, and the driver's side bled just fine. Ideas? It seems like it's just sucking in air up to the caliper.

10-26-08

Well low and behold my dad came over to wrench on the Porsche for a little while for me. Him and I haven't worked on a car together since I was a kid. Good times.

I got the new distributor rotor and cap on and we rewired some more stuff.

The brakes are going to need some parts, figured out the caliper needs some work. So I got out my airbrush and went at my emblems and cleaned up the garage. Apparently I can still airbrush quite well :)

Note the dirty nasty emblem.

IMG_4396.jpg

Refinished and redone in my own blend of paint mix. Ended up being a silver metallic. I had contemplated adding in some pearl but thought "eh naw that looks fine."

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I fixed the tail light too...

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

10-26-08

Questions from viewers "What power do those make?"

Depends on the year and the model. This year, first year they were made in the USA were dumbed down in power from head work and pistons so they couldn't compete with the 911 so they made 95hp stock. Later models made in the 100s, the euro version made 125hp (these are dyno'd numbers) and the turbos made even more.

However, it is not hard to rebuild the motor to euro spec, wake it up, and improve the power, they have a lot of potential and a lot of it is in the head work.

Wonderful list of things to do at that link to get it down to faster.

Comment from viewer:

KoiHoshi, who art in Oregon,

hallowed be thy name.

Thy Kingdom come,

thy will be done,

in your garage as it is in Stuttgart

Give us this day our daily update.

And forgive us our trespasses,

as we forgive those who trespass against us.

You've lead us into temptation,

and are thus obliged to deliver new photos.

For thine is the Porsche, in its power and glory.

Keep us updated. for ever and ever.

Reply:

Hahahahaha that is the funniest post I think I've ever read!

Yeah sorry about no recent updates. With my being sick, my insanity at work, my ticket and then my dad almost dying you could say things are a tad busy around here....

HOWEVER, I got some brake parts on the way, should be here MONDAY and I have an entire week off for vacation. So the Porsche will be in the garage, I will finish the weight reduction (pics to come on that), as well as some other goodies. I have plans to yank most the stuff off the motor and polish it up and then put it all back on.

PS: Does anyone have a junkyard with a passenger side fender for a 77' Porsche 924? Don't care about the color... as long as there is no damage.

11-11-08

Success!

I got the brakes to work! The caliper was simply stuck. I was able to get it freed up and there were no leaks or seal issues *WHOOHOO!*.

I ran out of 10mm bolts and was unable to get the seats in to go drive it, however, they work!!!!!

You can see that they were pretty rusty. But thanks to a polishing wheel i got the rust off of it. I need to replace them entirely. But until I can get more parts on order this will keep the car going so i can get it into the garage to work on it and test it out on the road.

DSC_0108.jpg

Pic of the caliper (and the fluid FINALLY coming out!)

DSC_0110.jpg

11-12-08

Today was a wonderful day! Me and my buddy took the car for it's first successful drive. Just to prove it, pic of me filling it up. The first time in 10 years this car has gone to a gas station.

The kid at the gas station was a little into p-cars and was pretty excited to hear the story of how it went from a trailored in pile to a car that now runs, drives, and is being restored. So i told him he was the first person to fill it up in 10 years haha.

cid_612.jpg

The rotors were gunked up and i figured they were no good. I decided "Well hell, i'm gonna see if i can get them back to "normal"... hehe" and me and my buddy went through some VERY HARD stops. In the end, we ended up smelling what smelled like burning rubber and could not for the life of us figure out what it was till we started seeing smoke when we were at low speed. I got it home and the rotors were glowing bright fcuking red! After we started pouring water on the smoking rotors (because there was still crap on them and i'd rather fcuk up some bad rotors, than have them light crap on fire from the heat) we noticed they were nice and smooth... all the crap was gone, they were just smoking.

I wished to god i had took a picture but i was a little bit afraid of something catching fire.... :-/ either way, good times.

SHE IS ON THE ROAD!

11-13-08

Another road test... this on ended in humiliation.

Well. I knew i should have replaced the accessory and timing belt sooner. I took it for the big drive today to show my dad. Along the way I hear a "BANG" like something hit my hood.

"Funny... it feels fine". The car didn't handle different. Motor didn't run different. No loss of power. All the sudden I see the temperature gauge going up... and up.... and up... pegged.... "fcuk!"

I drove for just barely less than a mile, pulled over in a safe spot. Smoke all over the place. I had thought, head gasket... upon popping the hood the accessory belt had snapped, along with the drain hose missing it was pouring coolant all over everything and steaming (hence the smoke).

My dad got another belt, came over, we changed it, got it fixed. Drive back was heaven.

Engine didn't act funny or do anything odd, didn't seem to overheat so I don't think any damage was done (thank god) but man that sucked...

Head is not cracked, heat isn't varying and no oddities, things are working okay.... got it off and cooled in time.

Timing belt. Already bought the belt and accessory belt. Was just ironic the belt broke before i wanted to change it. Hah!

Anyway. The quest for a passenger fender may have been conquered and completed. I am still doing correspondence via phone with the guy but i found a good fender that is fine with no dents and just needs paint.

(edit) Deal is in the bag, I am picking it up monday! WHOOHOO

12-1-08

Got sidetracked with fixing the brakes, no pics, sorry lol. However, I got new metallic pads from Axxis on today. My car is loving it!

12-23-08

Pics to come tonight:

Hatch being fixed and more weight reduction. Grinding down and some rust sealant. More and more weight

Or rather.... less...

It has been difficult to work on the car and stare at the damage done to the fender and headlight. But it's ok because it's nice to see more of the interior come together. I have a nice feeling of accomplishment when I go out there and see all the crap get fixed.

12-29-08

Pics of some of the rust being ground down, floor pan getting a nice clean job. My buddy kenny in the 1st picture helping me out, and then me.

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

Kenny's job after going after the sound deadening.

IMG_4768.jpg

Unfortunately. From the snow, the tail lights flooded with water, popped a fuse, and now my tail lights don't work... guess i'll be pulling them out.... again.... and drilling holes in the bottom so it doesn't happen anymore.

12-31-08

(my car was hit by a stupidass driver... parked...)

Tow company is coming in as we speak within the next 30 minutes or so to pick up the porsche.

Good news is i get a new fender and headlight cover.

Bad news is it's $300 deductible. Could be worse....

The guy said they are REALLY slow right now, so, he may actually give me a deal on getting the ENTIRE car painted depending on what statefarm covers on it. He said if it's enough to justify it, they may be able to do the whole darn car for a "sweet deal". Let's hope so. Having it painted would make my fcuking YEAR!

(11am)

car is now on the tow truck headed to the body shop.

1-7-08

you'd never even know it was hit!

Except for the fact that the rest the car's paint looks like crap LOL!

1231362295235.jpg

1231362308849.jpg

Sure is a purdy headlight and fender there! Now for a complete paint job and i'm good to go. I'm glad the body work is just out of the way....

2-2-09

Connections with wear and tarnish on them with some corrosion. The connection itself would be a pain in the ass to re-use, but the male connector below it can be sanded down to bare metal to re-ruse. In this case, all of the connectors on the gauges are like this. We're going to not only re-wire some of it, but re-route the wires, heat wrap some of them, and replace ALL the connectors.

IMG_4847.jpg

In a macro example, here is what you can do using fine grit sandpaper to get the crap off the connection and back down to bare metal to re-use it. You need to make sure you sand ALL OF THE CRAP OFF OF IT!

IMG_4849.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

You should absolutely test each connection for each new connection you do to ensure they are 100% okay. You can do this by touching the male connector you've sanded down which is making a nice connection with your end connectors. You can touch the end connectors, but we know they work, so by touching the male connector we are ensuring that the connection between that male connector to the other male connector (and the wiring job you did inbetween) worked.

Example:

IMG_4862.jpg

Now we can start wiring.

IMG_4848.jpg

These connectors are a mess. The wires are flexible still... but the end connectors suck. Let's re-do this entire spot. Start by labeling or taping off where things go, or, if you prefer to do it visually like me do one connector at a time, gradually cutting a wire, stripping it, crimping it, and putting it back.

IMG_4851.jpg

You can see on the left i've clipped the wires going to the connection and put a new end connector on it. To top it off i'm going to run these wires together so it's less of an eyesore and easier to figure out. First thing about heat shrink wrap you REALLY DO NOT need to use a whole tube. You can very easily cut it into tiny slits and then move them over your wires and then shrink them into parts of the wire. This uses less material, lasts just as long and is easier to see the wire colors too. You can buy a $20 box of shrink wrap that has a crapload of heat wrap tubing and it'll last you nearly a life time if you do it this way.

IMG_4852.jpg

Now we heat up the shrink wrap... and tada!

IMG_4853.jpg

We're done!

Almost.

These black end connectors look like plugs, but they aren't. They simply house these wires to make it easier to make the connector so you don't forget how they go on. Who cares, the connectors are toast, let's do this the clean way. Do you remember the first picture?

IMG_4860.jpg

I've now clipped the wires down shorter (less hairy mess) and put new connectors on all wires in the same order they were placed in the plugs and attained less material used, cleaner routing job and shrink wrapped some of them.

Now the end result is less messy, better connections, re-used some of the wiring, used new wiring, and we've successfully brought these gauges back to life! Now the main thing is to get all the rusty mess off the metal gauge pods themselves and these suckers are as good as new. Functional now at least.

IMG_4861.jpg

(note - this was part of a how to on wiring i did that has been edited more to the worklog to show you the progress of fixing these gauges)

2-10-09

Ran some seafoam through the system, car is running a lot more smoothly... put a little in the tank as it's on 1/4 tank so it can clean out the system a bit.

weight reduction is well underway once again... this time the trunk is ready for a grind down and i can recarpet it.

Sound deadening in back.... gone. Just a matter of grinding all of it down so it's clean and i can lay carpet.

DSC_0316.jpg

Excess crap..... gone....

DSC_0317.jpg

That is unreal! I have done many a restore on older F cars - but this one is way beyond the condition of any I tackled. Great work.

Would love to hear cost of purchase and what you end up having in it (and estimated hours to restore) - to get a feel for the magnitude.

Well done - would love to see more.

Now thats a project! Great work

I wana do somthing like this in the near future but with an Mid 70's alfa GTV

That is unreal! I have done many a restore on older F cars - but this one is way beyond the condition of any I tackled. Great work.

Would love to hear cost of purchase and what you end up having in it (and estimated hours to restore) - to get a feel for the magnitude.

Well done - would love to see more.

Amazingly, the lady let the car go for $750.

I have put so far well into $1000+ in simple parts just to get it running. And it will be far more to get it where I want it. The major costs are going to be the performance parts and suspension work. The other costs are going to be track rated seats and harnesses as well as a roll cage at some point.

As to hours... On the days with the worklogs posted we are looking at anywhere from an hour or two after work, and sometimes my entire day from 9am till midnight on my days off. Varies. I'd be happy to start keeping track and logging such things if people are interested in the actual time it takes to complete such a project.

I'm glad you enjoy the worklogs :) There are a LOT more to come!

Now thats a project! Great work

I wana do somthing like this in the near future but with an Mid 70's alfa GTV

You probably do not want to hear this, but you are going to lose thousands and thousands of dollars. The parts cannot be cheap. If you are going to keep going, you may want to buy an inexpensive parts car or two.

It is not easy to find a project today, that is financially a good idea, to complete a full restoration. I know with a 12cyl Italian car, it can start at 150K. If it is a low production exotic, it can run into twice that amount - some unobtainable parts will have to be fabricated.

I realize a 924 is going to cost a lot less. Your problem, is a perfect 924, is not even worth 20K. The project, will cost you more than 20K with the cost of your personal time devoted to the project, professional services, and parts. good luck.

I'm aware of that, and fine with it.

I do appreciate the realistic input. However, I'm aware it will cost a lot of money. However, if something is worth it to the individual and they don't mind, then the money is well spent in my eyes. In this case it means a lot to me :) Therefore I'm fine with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for shits and giggles... day photo of the car now that it's no longer thrashed.

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Did a bit more tinkering today and got it running smoothly.. Video....:

Repaired the hatch and figured out why the stupid thing wasn't locking consistently.

However, in the process of changing a lightbulb above the car i also noticed the rear portion of my hatch towards the top of the car near the roof has a big gap, this is why it is leaking so badly. I'm now looking into my options of replacing the window.... or fixing it.

Anyway... the old bushings which acted as sort of a guide were so deteriorated that they had literally fallen to pieces (as most pieces of rubber from 1977 that were in the elements....) and fallen out of the actual locking mechanism. What this did essentially was cause the pins that latch down into the locking mechanism to seat at an angle. The problem with this is that once I would turn the key and the locking latches opened, the pin was at such an aggressive angle that it was literally stuck to the side of the mechanism. The only way out of this was literally a screwdriver through the bottom of the latch CAREFULLY to move it to the side while applying pressure to the hatch window.

When i got the bushings from Porsche they were a 911 part number. They had the same shape to actually fit into the locking mechanism itself and i had to cut holes where the pins went but it actually provided a much more SOLID closing of the hatch, they stayed in place, and made a nice tight lock. Much better....

Pics to come later. But the difference was night and day.

parts on order:

Drum brake pieces

Drum brake pads

Intake Manifold Gasket

Exhaust manifold gasket

fuel filter

window-weld

hatch latch bushing mount

hatch latch lock pin

hatch latch washer

hatch latch nut

Porsche 944 console

POTENTIALLY:

944 brake and wheel conversion (this is still pending)

Great thread. Have been watching since the start and will continue to do so.

Can you link to your progress thread on the 924 boards?

Great thread. Have been watching since the start and will continue to do so.

Can you link to your progress thread on the 924 boards?

I'll have to dig it up but it is essentially the same stuff posted here. Although there are a few threads scattered here and there form it that weren't included. I'd be happy to find them and post them up :)

As promised, the 924 board links:

(new) Regarding window repair (has some questions whether or not i'd need to replace it or try to repair it... and links from members who have done some stuff to theirs)...

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=28432

The original 6 page thread (basically a mirrored version of what i posted here)

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=26...&highlight=

When my car got hit...

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=27...&highlight=

The day it got out of the body shop after it got hit:

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=28...&highlight=

Regarding tail lenses filled with water:

And the first day the car drove in 10 years.

Now... on an update note. My parts have all arrived.

Intake manifold gasket

Exhaust manifold gasket

fuel filter

944 console (i have plans...)

Drum brake pieces

Drum brake pads

window-weld

Am still waiting from local Porsche dealership to get the hatch pieces in. Once I get a sunny day i'll fix the seal on the hatch at least.

awesome build project. great to see cars with no resale value still getting the love, after all it's about fun, not investment.

why keep with the drum brake set up? Isn't there an option for rear disk brakes?

awesome build project. great to see cars with no resale value still getting the love, after all it's about fun, not investment.

why keep with the drum brake set up? Isn't there an option for rear disk brakes?

there is, i'm still trying to work a deal out with a guy on it, he hasn't called me on it yet. I went back and forth between me and his friend as his friend is who told me he had them in the first place. the guy has been "deciding" whether or not he wants to get rid of them. they were a 944 brake setup, ss lines, goodies, nice rotors and the whole bit too :( at this rate i'm assuming he's changing his mind if he hasn't decided by now. For now the drums will get me by till i can get a proper 4 wheel disc setup.

4 days off in a row this weekend. TIME FOR PROGRESS!