TT G #1 Diagnosed, awaiting parts...

ben

The car took 3 days to get from NV to AZ (How, I can only wonder). The shop looked at today and the diagnosis is the following:

The drivers side twin turbos bearing has failed. The other turbo is fine, just the one is no good. It'll require either the same turbo to be replaced, or two new turbos that are better (upgrades!) and a little plumbing work. Once they figure out the plan (whether its replace just the one with the same or upgrade) it'll probably be about two weeks from today by the time parts get in and then the car gets worked on etc. Probably fly down to PHX and drive it back, that'd be a fun excuse to spend 4 hours in the car with minimal law enforcement. ;) As far as Jason had mentioned, there wasnt anything else wrong with the car that they see right now (the noise was coming from the turbo, easy diagnosis, LLV thought it was working, woops!).

Just in case anyone is wondering that hasnt followed the repairs, the turbos didnt fail prematurely, they were installed in 2005 and had about 20,000 miles on them and survived Chicago winters and Las Vegas summer heat cycles along with Florida too. Will post back with updates when it makes sense to do so. I cant wait to drive the piss out of that car. If anything else breaks I'm going to drive it off the grand canyon. :-)

If anything else breaks I'm going to drive it off the grand canyon. :-)

:iamwithstupid: :lol2:

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out and best of luck getting that beast back on the road!

If anything else breaks I'm going to drive it off the grand canyon. :-)

Bet it'll be a youtubi hit......

Not only will it be a sight to behold (Sunset and a Lambo in Air) but you will be worshipped all over the world!

Oh .. News Headline anyone...?

" The Lambo which almost flew.....Almost! "

:aikido: :lol2:

glad to hear your getting the G back soon, keep us posted with the 4 hour drive :P

Glad to see it's an semi easy diagnosis and fix. Those rough winters and summers are no good on any turbo system.

20k of hard driving and harsh weather can do that ;)

Good to hear that it isn't such a serious issue. With the nice weather it must be a hassle having to wait for the repairs. Hopefully you get your car back in better shape and put more cars to shame on road. :)

As far as I know the clutch is just fine. Heffner installed it 1000 or 2000 miles ago.

Expected price on the actual turbo is $1200. The plumbing and labor are additional.

As for expected lifetime on a turbo, 20k miles isnt that much. There's much better turbos out now I'm told than this one, and cars with turbos from the factory can outlive the engine sometimes. Its just a worn bearing, and given its driving habits, I'm OK with that.

Ben

Ball bearing turbos dont have long life expectancy compared to the standard cartridge which lasts 75-125k miles depending on oil changes/proper warm up and cool down etc etc etc.

Is 20k expected lifetime on the turbos? What are the turbos priced at?

That seems exceptionally short IMO. Diesel trucks regularly get hundreds of thousands of miles from them. And before anyone starts with the bullshit about this being a high performance car blah blah. Those clunky trucks run their turbos at 30+ psi almost constantly which puts a ton more stress on the turbo.

If you lose a turbo it's almost always oil related.

That seems exceptionally short IMO. Diesel trucks regularly get hundreds of thousands of miles from them. And before anyone starts with the bullshit about this being a high performance car blah blah. Those clunky trucks run their turbos at 30+ psi almost constantly which puts a ton more stress on the turbo.

If you lose a turbo it's almost always oil related.

:iamwithstupid:

The truck turbos are probably made a bit tougher, but that aside, they should last way more. Turbodiesel turbines here in Europe last sometimes a few 100k km, and we are talking about Summer/winter temp differences around 50 degrees celsius.

Bearings fail due to extreme heat or cold, excessive load, improper oiling, manufacturing defect and/or incorrect design in regard to the application. ;)

The only oil issue the car has ever had is the return line leaking a little bit. That didnt ever create an engine oil low situation though, it was never below the minimum line. I dont know what caused it exactly, only that its dead and getting fixed. ;) I dont know what brand the turbos are either. (Couldnt even name a manufacturer off the top of my head either without doing a google search for turbo manufacturers ;)).

Glad to see this turned out to be simple. Be careful driving back from AZ, we know several people in common that won't go back to AZ because they got pulled. And you can only go to traffic school once every two years (I think).

- Robert

Glad to see this turned out to be simple. Be careful driving back from AZ, we know several people in common that won't go back to AZ because they got pulled. And you can only go to traffic school once every two years (I think).

- Robert

:eusa_wall:

DSC09982_20_282_29.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Heffner called this morning, they are using two newer Turbos and they are plug and play with the exception of running water lines. They recommended dynoing it as well, since the new turbos are "better" should be a performance bump, but who the hell knows or cares the thing is fast enough anyway. Somedays I'd like it to just spit out 600hp and I'd be happy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on parts......................... Kill me now.