Putting my DLM GTT on the dyno...

Kisco

According to this, the Dymags will save you 8lbs each wheel in the back over yours, and 5 lbs each wheel in the front. That is 26lbs. less unsprung mass total or the equivalent of adding 1 more rear rim to your car. I know about the issues that people have had with dymags too.

Dymag:

http://gt-rr.com/gt-r/r35/dymag/part/carbo...et_-_20/pid/187

SDS:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-trade...-one-piece.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/audi/11...ged-wheels.html

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=23562455

By the way, these are REALLY cool HRE's for anyone looking at Dymags: http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/292...eet-wheels.html

Damn you learn something new every day. This info is really cool:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5492329

Yes, but it's not that simple...

Yes the overall weights are close...but the effective weights are much different.

Let me explain...

The Dymag wheel has less effective weight in regards to performance, because it's Carbon Fiber outer barrel is located at the farthest point away from the center hub. That CF barrel is much lighter than that of the Volk CE28N. (i.e. the Dymag's outer barrel has less MASS)

Since a majority of the Dymags overall weight is contained in the Magnesium/Aluminum center spoke portion of the wheel, it's moment of inertia is much lower than that of the CE28N. (which is made of 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy)

Since the Dry Carbon Fiber outer barrel on the Dymag wheel is much lighter in overall weight, it requires less energy to do the same amount of work. Which means it's easier to get the wheel to spin from a dead stop. It also improves the transitional performance during frequent accelerating and decelerating. (by reducing the load on the engine to spin up the wheel again after slowing down)

The Dymag's are a stone cold killer on the track...

Since the Dymag wheel has the lightest part of it's overall weight at the farthest point form the center bore, it's real world performance is superior to that of the CE28N.

FYI: The closer you get to the center bore, the less impact the weight will have on your overall performance. (physics 101)

But be advised...this 'advantage' in wheel technology comes at a staggering cost!

Regardless of whatever the weight is.. EVERYONE I know who has had Dymags had issues with them.. I believe the SDS wheels were also like 6-7 lbs lighter per wheel then the stock wheels.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of whatever the weight is.. EVERYONE I know who has had Dymags had issues with them.. I believe the SDS wheels were also like 6-7 lbs lighter per wheel then the stock wheels.

Fadi already bought them a couple weeks back. :icon_thumleft:

Bernard had issues with his?

Its going good man, just waiting on my Sledgehammer car to be completed, whats going on with your car?

Aaron

Aaron,

its going well bro. Just waiting for my beast at SPI to get done as well. I cannot wait! I saw your Sledgehammer a few weeks back under that nice microfiber cover. Its going to look real hot when its clean and run like a raped ape. I cant wait to see your driftbox numbers on your Sledge compared to your TTG's numbers! Let us know :)

Sorry Fadi,

I didnt mean to go off topic. I can tell you that regardless of what has been said here regarding SLR vs TTG....make no bones about it that your TTG will murder a stock SLR on a roll race and beat handily beat a Renntech SLR on a 60-160 pull. The only chance a SLR has is with sticky tires and a drag race in the 1/4 in beating your car....JMHO

Sorry Fadi,

I didnt mean to go off topic. I can tell you that regardless of what has been said here regarding SLR vs TTG....make no bones about it that your TTG will murder a stock SLR on a roll race and beat handily beat a Renntech SLR on a 60-160 pull. The only chance a SLR has is with sticky tires and a drag race in the 1/4 in beating your car....JMHO

Les, what's happening man?

Allan, you reading this??.. :icon_mrgreen:

Les, I am confident that I would destroy an SLR from a roll and would beat a modded one, too. Even if I get a lesser time from 60-130, that would only mean that I am slower from 60-130. From 130-180, I am pretty sure I would be waving bye bye to the modded SLR.

I am starting to grow a little weary of the Dymags (thanks, Allan, :lol2:). Cashier’s check was supposed to be on its way today given that I had sealed the deal on them. I am starting to rethink this wheel situation now. Hmmmm...

Bernard, please chime in on your experience if you would. Did you switch to the SL wheels because the Dymag wheel was giving you problems??

Les, I am confident that I would destroy an SLR from a roll and would beat a modded one, too. Even if I get a lesser time from 60-130, that would only mean that I am slower from 60-130. From 130-180, I am pretty sure I would be waving bye bye to the modded SLR.

Hey bro, just working through the day. Agreed on your assessment about an SLR run in modded or not.

I have a read a few posts from the Pcar guys, that they have had trouble with Dymags (also I have seen some yellowing of the clear on the wheel in person). Fadi, If I were you just get your wheels painted gloss black. If its the weight savings you are after, get some SL wheels or HRE's. Also get lighter seats...I know in my Turbo, the seats to GT2 seats takes out 120+pounds. Those cushy Lambo seats have got to weigh some pds.

The Lambo seats weigh a ton. There is a lot of weight to be saved by switching them out with some light carbon fiber buckets.

Stay away from Dymags from what I've seen. HRE is the way to go.

Thanks, guys. I am going to call the Dymag wheel owner today and tell him I am no longer interested. He is going to be PISEED. I negotiatied with him for days, lol. But, better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Regarding the seats, yes, I agree, the stock ones weigh a ton and I will switch them out. Just got to find the right ones. I think I am going to go with the same ones that Allan has.

I am starting to grow a little weary of the Dymags (thanks, Allan, :lol2:). Cashier’s check was supposed to be on its way today given that I had sealed the deal on them. I am starting to rethink this wheel situation now. Hmmmm...

Bernard, please chime in on your experience if you would. Did you switch to the SL wheels because the Dymag wheel was giving you problems??

Nope, I switched because the local tire place here incorrectly installed/ruined a pzero corsa tire, then covered it up, causing a lot of extra confusion/trouble shoots, and remounts. Had to wait to find some pzeros, then sent the wheel to CA to be mounted.... major pain the ass!

I only have a little experience with the new mag alum dymags, but so far they are very good, they balanced out better than stock, with zero vibration. Can't say much more until I put some miles and track time on them.

Thanks, guys. I am going to call the Dymag wheel owner today and tell him I am no longer interested. He is going to be PISEED. I negotiatied with him for days, lol. But, better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Regarding the seats, yes, I agree, the stock ones weigh a ton and I will switch them out. Just got to find the right ones. I think I am going to go with the same ones that Allan has.

If you end up not getting them, get the new CF HRE's. They look SIIIICCCCKKK!!!

Sorry Fadi,

Keep dreaming.... :icon_thumleft:

Over 150 I said you will have the advantage on the SLRs..

The Lambo seats weigh a ton. There is a lot of weight to be saved by switching them out with some light carbon fiber buckets.

Stay away from Dymags from what I've seen. HRE is the way to go.

I think I saved about 70lbs with my seats..

Kisco,

Remember though. From every pound of weight you save in unsprung weight, it equates to losing 6 pounds of Sprung weight when it comes to accelleration, braking, handling, etc.

If You save 30lbs. over stock from wheels your car will drive/feel like it is 180lbs. lighter.

Get some of these new CF Hre's, and some CCB's and your car will feel even more like a rocket.

Awesome. I can't wait to beat the 7.2 60-130 time of a stock SLR, and hopefully tie or beat the modded SLR time. :icon_mrgreen:

So, I will get VBOX numbers NEXT Friday or Saturday night. Like I said before, too busy in the week.

Well, I just called the guy and told him the Dymags is a no go. HE WAS PISSED. I told him LP made me do it..:lol2:

Now, which wheels? Hmm..Mike, I will look into the CF HRE's. As long as they are not outrageously priced, I will take a look at them.

I should call out an SLR on the Benz forums..:lol2:

Do it! Tell them it is a C class with an upgraded motor. They will love you for that. :lol2:

The new HRE's still use Dymag CF barrels. Definitely a hot wheel though. I am also partial to the HRE forged monobloks.

Fdai,

I hope you don't feel too bad you sold me your iForged's.