UGR Bolt-on TT system

RedGTS

My goal was 600+ rwhp on pump gas, which was achieved on the first pull at 4 psi, but look at the next two pulls (boost levels in upper left corner):

3700610181_3933b42bb2_b.jpg

More details a little later when I get some more time.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My goal was 600+ rwhp on pump gas, which was achieved on the first pull at 4 psi, but look at the next two pulls (boost levels in upper left corner):

3700610181_3933b42bb2_b.jpg

More details a little later when I get some more time.

I am curious to see what engine supporting mods were done, or if the block is using stock internals. I had a twin turbocharger system installed in my 350Z over two years ago. The internals were stock but the hp increase wasn't beyond the system's capacity. I went from 240whp (stock) to 403whp (dyno'd). I recently blew the engine, and it didn't even happen while tracking or racing the car!! I was at a light, and when it changed I proceeded to move and....BOOM!!! I was having a problem with the fuel pump recently which I think had something to do with the failure. I believe the pump shutoff, the engine went lean, then the engine went BOOM!!

My point being..make sure you have an engine knock detection system included as part of your forced induction system. A water/meth set-up would also be good to have. Just my 2c

This is interesting. Another Kit out of no where. Congrats, cant wait (or hope for that matter) to hear more details about this thing!

Congrats, you and Kisco need to hook up for a roll on. At 10lbs, you will be matched up nicely.

Gotta say that both of you are pushing the limits at that power rating, best of luck!

OHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDDDD, RONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

950 rwhp????!?!?!???????? :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

Thanks for the comments guys, and here are some more details. The 651 rwhp dyno was with pump gas at 4 psi. The 814 rwhp and 950 rwhp runs were with race gas at 8 and 10 psi, respectively, as shown on the dyno sheet. The slurpee cooler might have been full too--I'd have to check with Kevin as I didn't think to ask (that's for you Allan :) ). The 8 psi setting will likely be my "kill" mode on race gas, as I don't want to push the stock motor too hard, and over 800 rwhp seems like a lot to me, even on race gas. For just driving around, I'll probably leave it at 4 psi. In any event, I think it's safe to say the stock motors in these cars respond dramatically to boost!

I plan to go pick up the car this weekend, and my overall experience with UGR has been superb. By way of background, I had never done any

business with UGR before this project, although I've had numerous high performance cars, including a couple of FI Vipers (hence my username, which I found easier to leave the same from forum to forum), a Plastic mess-06, several AMG Mercs, etc. I ran Jason Heffner's supercharger system on my GTS for a while years ago, and later when I decided to upgrade to twins, I had Jason do the install. My experience with Jason was great, and I have talked to him several times since I bought the G, so I knew sending my car to him was a good option. I had also talked with Doug Levin a few times about my Vipers, and had bought a few Viper-related parts from Doug, so I knew Doug was a great guy to deal with as well. I had actually talked to UGR about doing the twins on my Viper before going with Jason, but at that point UGR was new to the Viper scene, which is the main reason I went with Jason. Now that several years have gone by, and several people I know have had their cars done by UGR, Heffner and UGR are pretty much Coke and Pepsi in my mind, which made the UGR option much easier. DLM may be more like RC Cola--a great product with a devoted group of followers, but one that flies a little below the radar compared to the other two. :) So I'm not here to throw rocks toward any other tuner, and hopefully I won't be receiving any either (from their customers that is--I KNOW neither Jason nor Doug would do so).

In any event, UGR has been great to deal with, extremely professional, and they have done everything they said they would, when they said they would. They did the build in just over 2 weeks, which was a big reason I went with the bolt-on setup for now, because I didn't want the car down the rest of the summer. I'm not sure how they pulled that off given that the shop is bursting at the seams with Lambos, Vipers, etc., but they delivered. Communication has been constant, and I have to say when I got the pics below of the build, it was really hard to believe that was my car! So now I can't wait to get some seat time and feel that turbo rush firsthand! I'll update things once I get the car back, but bear in mind roll-ons are much harder to set up in the East TN mountains than in some other places, so we will probably have to continue to rely on Fadi the Roll-On King for our video entertainment! Oh and I PM'd Fadi last night and told him I think he needs to adjust his expectations for the dyno Saturday (upward), and he may not want to call 8 psi his "pump gas" setting either--I'm not sure pump gas and double stock hp are a good match! These high compression engines are crazy with a little boost--hopefully we can keep them in one piece!

3700610647_e3bd9ef5f8_b.jpg

3700611141_f8fea89bd5_b.jpg

OHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDDDD, RONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

950 rwhp????!?!?!???????? :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

Why did you think your car was so fast??? Pixie dust?? LOL!!! Your butt dyno not only wasn't lying, it was reading a little low! :icon_thumleft: :icon_super:

looks great.. what was the price if you dont mind me asking? and warranty?

looks like bolt on might be a good option for the guy who doesnt want to go crazy...

looks great.. what was the price if you dont mind me asking? and warranty?

looks like bolt on might be a good option for the guy who doesnt want to go crazy...

After having a number of cars modified by different tuners, I've learned it's best to leave pricing questions to them. It's not that it's a big secret, really, as most of them publicize their "list" prices for various things (and even if they don't word gets around), but most of them also sometimes have a little flexibility with those prices (not huge variances but sometimes a little bit). I will say that I got prices from Kevin, Jason, and Doug, and they were all in the same ballpark, so price was not a significant factor in my decision. As for warranty, my understanding was again similar for all 3 tuners. If something they installed failed, they would be responsible, but obviously they can't guarantee that a stock engine is not going to have a failure. What I think they would all do in that situation is make it as easy on their customer as possible, i.e., keep the costs down on the repair as low as possible, not because they have a legal obligation to do so, but because they pride themselves on customer service and want to take care of their customer. But the above is my understanding (and to some extent opinion), so anyone looking to do a build should consult the tuner directly and not rely on me.

RedGTS congrats on those numbers, very impressive! Is Brentwood TN close to you?

Thanks. Brentwood is about 4 hours away. It's in middle TN south of Nashville, and I'm in extreme east TN.

Oh and I PM'd Fadi last night and told him I think he needs to adjust his expectations for the dyno Saturday (upward), and he may not want to call 8 psi his "pump gas" setting either--I'm not sure pump gas and double stock hp are a good match! These high compression engines are crazy with a little boost--hopefully we can keep them in one piece!

Ronnie,

I don't think I will make near your power levels just because my tune is overly conservative. Doug made it this way given the fact that I am 1400 miles away. I think after driving it a few days that it may possibly do 8xx rwhp, but who knows, we will see very soon.

Regarding pump gas, you got it. I don't run pump gas....at all, if I am boosting. Not going to risk it. 8 lbs or 10 lbs., it is only race gas for me (us) :icon_thumleft:

Thanks. Brentwood is about 4 hours away. It's in middle TN south of Nashville, and I'm in extreme east TN.

ahhhh man...ok no worries. Again great TT G man! I love it and it looks bad to the bone with all that chrome!

Ronnie,

I don't think I will make near your power levels just because my tune is overly conservative. Doug made it this way given the fact that I am 1400 miles away. I think after driving it a few days that it may possibly do 8xx rwhp, but who knows, we will see very soon.

Regarding pump gas, you got it. I don't run pump gas....at all, if I am boosting. Not going to risk it. 8 lbs or 10 lbs., it is only race gas for me (us) :icon_thumleft:

Safe is always best for cost effective reliability. Rest assured Fadi no matter how conservative your tune at least if you wanted you can turn up the wick and get bigger numbers! Either way, all bad ass cars here! Keep it up...I may have to get a G and get her TT'd...im just not a flashy guy like Fadi ;)

Looks fantastic, congrats!! :icon_thumleft:

Only two things I care about in this thread from UGR, the rest of the positive comments about how it drives, its power level, etc is a given:

1. What does the kit cost? And lets have none of UGR's typical bullshit dodging on price as they did on NeraTT's $108,000 build previously. Just man up and give the number to the board. If you're afraid of posting the price then that tells us everything we need to know.

2. Is UGR willing to warranty the engine for any period of time (their standard warranty on their built motors is up to 2yrs/24 months I believe).

The rest I can figure out for myself amid all the hyperbole and kill stories.

And this is NOT some sort of UGR callout, far from it. I'm doing the same thing with the DLM bolt on kit on Fadi's car. If you're confident in what you offer as a tuner, detail it. Price. Warranty. Etc. Let's stop hiding in the shadows.

ahhhh man...ok no worries. Again great TT G man! I love it and it looks bad to the bone with all that chrome!

Thanks! Makes me wish I had a clear rear bumper, but I guess that would look kind of strange. :)

Ronnie,

Hard to say but I wouldn't sell it short until you dyno it. My tune is supposed to be conservative too, and I doubt I'll ever even use more than the 8 psi setting anyway, but I'm sure there are also some mechanical differences in the two systems that may factor in. And I totally agree about the pump gas--no pump gas for me above 4 psi!

Looks fantastic, congrats!! :icon_thumleft:

Only two things I care about in this thread from UGR, the rest of the positive comments about how it drives, its power level, etc is a given:

1. What does the kit cost? And lets have none of UGR's typical bullshit dodging on price as they did on NeraTT's $108,000 build previously. Just man up and give the number to the board. If you're afraid of posting the price then that tells us everything we need to know.

2. Is UGR willing to warranty the engine for any period of time (their standard warranty on their built motors is up to 2yrs/24 months I believe).

The rest I can figure out for myself amid all the hyperbole and kill stories.

And this is NOT some sort of UGR callout, far from it. I'm doing the same thing with the DLM bolt on kit on Fadi's car. If you're confident in what you offer as a tuner, detail it. Price. Warranty. Etc. Let's stop hiding in the shadows.

I assume this is directed at UGR directly and not me (and I've already addressed these issues above to the extent I feel comfortable doing so), but as I said pricing was not a factor to me (not because I didn't care how much it cost but because they were all in the same ballpark). I seriously doubt any of the 3 tuners are going to want to jump in here and post details about pricing and warranties, but as I also said above, I think the direct answer to no. 2 will be "no" from all 3 (although as stated they will do whatever they can to help their customer). And I did talk to all 3 of them, but won't purport to speak for them. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect a tuner to guarantee a stock engine against failure with the power these systems are capable of making, and without any way to prevent the customer from beating the car like a rented mule? If I were a tuner I would handle it exactly the way they say they will.

Seriously, all of this "price hiding" is getting ridiculous. If they would just come out and say what it costs, and how long the warranty lasts (if any), then a ton of people including myself would be much more likely to pull the trigger on a turbo package. But if tuners won't come clean with what they are selling, how can we know what is available to buy without getting the "how much do you want to spend?" rhetoric. Jesus, how long do some of these web sites need to put up some info on their turbo systems (DLM?????). I'm sick of seeing "coming soon" messages or pages that are too light on description for a $50-70k product.

Congrats on the build and numbers Ronnie! Your car is beautiful!

I think it is a bit disrespectful to hound an individual about what they paid for anything, be it a car, watch, clothes, house, etc unless they are someone you know personally (i.e. not on a public forum).

I know Kevin is taking his family for a much needed vacation, so he may not even be able to post pricing info for a few days. However I think most the tuners have entry prices posted on their websites, and it would be a safe bet to assume that a bolt on turbo kit would probably fit into "entry" category. Again, I don't speak for any of the builders nor do I have pricing info. Just me drawing my own conclusion based on simple logic. Perhaps the websites are out of date. I bet if you call UGR, Heffner, DLM they would all be happy to provide you pricing based upon what YOU want to build.

Im pretty sure that most of the tuners will be happier to build you a TT system with strengthened internals rather than a bolt on package.