Six cylinder Diablo!

360boy

Hi all.

I have had my current 1993 Diablo for about one year now, with no problems.

Having just taken it out for a drive, she started cutting out onto six cylinders after about 2 miles driving. At the point that this happens, the rev counter dies back to zero, and when taking my foot off the throttle, the car will cut out too.

The car is running at the proper temperature and oil pressure, and there does not seem to be any loose connections in the engine bay.

Any ideas guys?

mine did this once after I had to leave it outside at a wedding for 5 hours and it rained like crazy,think water got into the wires and plugs.Once dried out she was fine

Hi all.

I have had my current 1993 Diablo for about one year now, with no problems.

Having just taken it out for a drive, she started cutting out onto six cylinders after about 2 miles driving. At the point that this happens, the rev counter dies back to zero, and when taking my foot off the throttle, the car will cut out too.

The car is running at the proper temperature and oil pressure, and there does not seem to be any loose connections in the engine bay.

Any ideas guys?

Dear Lamborghinisti,

whow......this sounds like a LIE problem.

Your car has two ignition computers. One for each bank. One computer controls the tach. I believe that once the tach is read at zero, the engine wants to cut off by not reading the tach signal ( like a tachometric relay )

Switch the computers around and see if the tach dies. If it doesn't but the other side dies anyway, you may likely have a computer issue.

Shamile

This can be anyone of several problems, but start with the simplest checks. There are two mag-pick ups built into the square housing next to the distributor ( the left side or drivers side). These are kind of hard to see unless you've been there before. Each pick up is the trigger for each bank for the engine. One should have a yellow mark, one has a white mark telling you which bank. Yellow for 7-12 and white 1-6. If one of these goes bad when hotter after engine warn up, you'll lose one bank of the engine. If your still looking for the problem, do an ohm check and record the reading on both pick up coils. Look for the two wire leads that come out of this box, follow these leads to where there is a (suppose to be) white plug connection and un-plug to ohm check. Make sure the engine ISN'T running by the way. Run the engine until the engine cuts out again and repeat this test after it cuts out. I would at the same time up-plug both coil leads at the distributor, give them both a 1/8 to 1/4 inch air gap and crank the engine over to see if there is spark at both coil leads? If not you'll know which bank isn't working. If the problem is the pick-up coils, the ohm test will tell you which one is bad. It'll probably be open then and you'll get no, or next to no reading.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like an ignition coil.. swap them and see if the problem follows... no guesses on the tach, maybe a seperate problem...

Does your problem come and go? A few years ago, I had a similar problem. When I would first turn over the car it would take about 30 seconds for right computer to come on. Which is the one that controls the tach. I ended up cleaning the 2 positive connections that are located in the engine bay on the drivers side. Never had the problem again.

Try the simple fixes first. If that doent work you might have a computer problem.

I don't have a wiring diagram of the Diablo but it is not uncommon to have the tach connected to the negative terminal on one of the coils. I would try to swap the coils first and then try to swap the computers. The Diablo tachs are made by VDO and they are designed to pull a signal from either the alternator or one of the coils.

Normal is for one of the coils to go bad. Have had lots of coils go bad on early cars. Every know and then the LIE ECU can go bad. I would swap the LIE plugs if you still have issue then look at coils. It is normal for the coils to start to work when they have cooled back down but when it gets hot it will cut back out. You can swap plugs at the coils and see if the other bank drops out. If you check for spark be very carefull you dont want to get shocked it wont kill you but it dose not feel good. You need to swap all three wires at the coils.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard Jaguar coils are the same.

I heard Jag Coils look the same and plug in the same but are not the same. I was told it could possible hurt your computer when you swap to Jag. I don't know if this is true or not but it came from a reliable source.

I heard Jaguar coils are the same.

I heard Jag Coils look the same and plug in the same but are not the same. I was told it could possible hurt your computer when you swap to Jag. I don't know if this is true or not but it came from a reliable source.

I would not use jag, it is not the same ohm, I think it 5,51 k ohm, and the one in the Diablo is 3,91k ohm. I had the same problem with one of my ignition coli.

I bought those two brand new for less than 100$ . They are exactly the same ohm. And the car drives fine with them.

I have a problem saing what car its from : Fiat Panda / uno

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN0227.JPG

DSCN0223.JPG

DSCN0221.JPG

Fiat Panda, thats funny.

If it works, thats great.

All fixed now guys.

It was a mixture of a dodgy coil (as a lot of you suggested) plus a bad connection to one of the ignition packs.

Running like a dream now.

Guest skokos
All fixed now guys.

It was a mixture of a dodgy coil (as a lot of you suggested) plus a bad connection to one of the ignition packs.

Running like a dream now.

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

pics please!

• 4 weeks later...