Was school worth it? Did you even go?

gallardo23

went to University and grad school.

The experience was worth it.

There is more to learning than just in class.

Everything that have become and do is a culmination of my experiences. Eventhough I do not do what I intended to do with all the schooling I did, I have taken that experience and apply daily.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to highschool and did two semesters of college and then dropped out. I was making more money a month out of highschool than many of my college professors were making a year. I am doing very well and havnt looked back. I think schooling is beneficial to some people. but if you know what you are going to do, and how to do it I dont see the point. That is just me though.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but don't you think that if you had more knowlegde about for example HRM you could improve your business? Of course it's easy to buy a book and read about it, but some things aren't easy to do on your own (financial related things).

And could anyone tell me the difference between community college and regular (?) university. I know there is a big price difference, any others?

And could anyone tell me the difference between community college and regular (?) university. I know there is a big price difference, any others?

If you were to compare the two on an academic level, no. Just like if you compare private high schools with public education. The academics are there, the level of commitment on both teacher and student sometimes are questionable.

prestige of whats on the diploma and what that brings down the road is where the big difference is.

Look at average college graduate income vs. average non-graduate income for the entire US population. For every rich guy who didn't go to college, there are probably 1000 others who make less than $40k a year.

In general, statistically, those with higher educations make more money. However, for those who are super rich, I don't think it really matters.

But otherwise higher incomes usually come to those with very specialized skills, and specialized skills usually require high education.

If you have a good idea, wealth will follow regardless of if you went to school. If you don't have a good idea, well then you'd have to be a fool to argue against a degree.

Beside, education should be a quest for knowledge, not wealth.

IMO make it for both :icon_thumleft:

Also, I think people mix the terms "education" and "schooling" too often. Schooling is just one portion of education. It is not per se required, but education itself one should always make mandatory. Education can be simply by reading lots of very good books and so forth, discussing things with other smart people, etc...

i think its worth it if only for what romandad said about credentials, Theres always the chance you'll go somewhere and get a boost because someone went to the same school as you

If you were to compare the two on an academic level, no. Just like if you compare private high schools with public education. The academics are there, the level of commitment on both teacher and student sometimes are questionable.

prestige of whats on the diploma and what that brings down the road is where the big difference is.

Not true. Community colleges often offer only basic academics and usually some trade options or in some specialized things (nursing, CAD, welding etc,) but they don't offer 4 year degrees last time I checked. Associates only. The teaching staff is usually not of the same calibre either. I imagine far more Ph.D's in universities, though there are definitely diamonds in the rough at CC.

I'd also argue that MIT, or Berkley, or CM, and many others, offer far more than a CC ever would in every shared curriculum.

I "waited a year" after high school. I had started a video production company with two other partners during my junior year of high school and was having fun/making money producing marketing videos. After that year, I went to (and quickly dropped out of) college after just a single quarter.

My business partner (same age as me) never started school at all. He was too busy running for, and being elected to, our local city council at age 19. Between our video company, another new start-up, his political office, Columbus Cars and Coffee, and writing for two magazines, I have never looked back. I'm learning as much (more!) in the "real world" than ANY of my peers are in classrooms. It all comes down to this - do you want to be hired by someone? I never want to be. For me, it was a qualification for something I don't want, to be "employed." It is the riskier path to be sure but for me the choice was obvious.

My biz partner and I in the middle of writing a book about this very topic.

:eusa_clap:

Coming out of high school every one is taught to pick a college. In reality it; puts yourself in debt, sets you four years back, and then helps you find a job to make someone else money. If you're going to go to school, use it to your advantage to boost your startup and create jobs so others make you money. Unless of course you need an accreditation (doctor, law, etc) then it makes sense obviously.

We've all heard... "Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune."

I'm in school now at Full Sail. I have class 8 hours a day (no summer break) vs. 4 hours a day (lots of breaks) and will graduate in two years with a bachelor's degree having more credit hours than one at a traditional 4 year school.

While somewhat on the subject, I like these:

Rich people believe “I create my life.”

Poor People believe “Life happens to me.”

Rich people play the money game to win.

Poor people play the money game to not lose.

Rich people are committed to being rich.

Poor people want to be rich.

Rich people think big.

Poor people think small.

Rich people focus on opportunities.

Poor people focus on obstacles.

Rich people are bigger than their problems.

Poor people are smaller than their problems.

Rich people choose to get paid based on results.

Poor people choose to get paid based on time.

Rich people think “both.”

Poor people think “either/or.”

Rich people have their money work hard for them.

Poor people work hard for their money.

Rich people constantly learn and grow.

Poor people think they already know.

College was a fun experience that everyone should have.

As far as the question goes, I think the sign in the shop says it all. The people there want people who are hiring (and they dont know) to know they have qualifications. If you dont know someone, you are probably going to have to prove you are qualified. Furthermore, some degrees should be mandatory. You dont want a doctor working on you without qualification or someone who doesnt know engineering to build a skyscraper.

rich people think big and wide

poor people think double-wide

Fixed it for you.....

Not true. Community colleges often offer only basic academics and usually some trade options or in some specialized things (nursing, CAD, welding etc,) but they don't offer 4 year degrees last time I checked. Associates only. The teaching staff is usually not of the same calibre either. I imagine far more Ph.D's in universities, though there are definitely diamonds in the rough at CC.

I'd also argue that MIT, or Berkley, or CM, and many others, offer far more than a CC ever would in every shared curriculum.

It depends. Some universities have professors that started out teaching at CC's before moving up, so certain CCs can offer good education for the first two years.

Also, going to a big accredited school doesn't necessarily mean you'll get taught by the professors. The professors are often off doing research. You walk into computer science class and its a grad student teaching, then calculus class and its a grad student or TA or whatnot (not always, but many times).

Coming out of high school every one is taught to pick a college. In reality it; puts yourself in debt, sets you four years back, and then helps you find a job to make someone else money.

I'm in school now at Full Sail. I have class 8 hours a day (no summer break) vs. 4 hours a day (lots of breaks) and will graduate in two years with a bachelor's degree having more credit hours than one at a traditional 4 year school.

You are making going to college/uni sound bad. ''Better get a mediocre job than a 200k debt''. I rather have the debt and a good job than a lousy job and not be satisfied.

And come on, ''sets you 4 years back''. Do you really want to graduate highschool, being only 17-18 years and have to work already? I'll pass + you can't even get a decent job.

The people who do work at that age and have a good idea and start their own business, that's rather rare right.

Coming out of high school every one is taught to pick a college. In reality it; puts yourself in debt, sets you four years back, and then helps you find a job to make someone else money. If you're going to go to school, use it to your advantage to boost your startup and create jobs so others make you money. Unless of course you need an accreditation (doctor, law, etc) then it makes sense obviously.

We've all heard... "Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune."

I never heard that one before, good saying though!

What are you majoring in (I ask because that's a neat school)?

I left school on my 16th birthday. In the UK that was the earliest you could. I had already realized that I would not be able to work for anyone and the few jobs I did have in the next year or so proved that. Having to come up with ways of supporting myself was tough at times, but I think it pushed me to start my own business. I will admit that there was a certain amount of luck in my story as I never really had a business plan. It was more a case of opportunities that came my way. I think that back in the 80's it was a lot easier than it would be now.

My wife put herself through law school at night while working full time. I really don't know how she did it. 18 hour days for many years, plus huge loans.

Rich people constantly learn and grow.

Poor people think they already know.

Unless money really buys happiness for you (and it won't, trust me,) you're best not to think about life in terms of rich and poor. Focus on your life before you focus on money. I'm rich and my life has never been worse. No joke. I know people who make hardly anything and are as happy as ever.

There's a lot of money on here no doubt. How many others on here one day found out that money had nothing to do with happiness? How many found out the hard way?

Unless money really buys happiness for you (and it won't, trust me,) you're best not to think about life in terms of rich and poor. Focus on your life before you focus on money. I'm rich and my life has never been worse. No joke. I know people who make hardly anything and are as happy as ever.

There's a lot of money on here no doubt. How many others on here one day found out that money had nothing to do with happiness? How many found out the hard way?

Sorry to hear that (on your life), hope things improve for you.

What are you majoring in (I ask because that's a neat school)?

Furthering knowledge in web development and then going for a master's in internet marketing.

You are making going to college/uni sound bad. ''Better get a mediocre job than a 200k debt''. I rather have the debt and a good job than a lousy job and not be satisfied.

And come on, ''sets you 4 years back''. Do you really want to graduate highschool, being only 17-18 years and have to work already? I'll pass + you can't even get a decent job.

Sounds like you want a job and accept debt.

And yes, I am 18 and yes that is what I want. Bust your ass for several years now and enjoy it the rest of your life. Or bust your ass for your whole life and enjoy it for a few years. Your choice.

Would like PHXMJ to bump in here.

The things that make you happy in life are things nobody can take from you (family, friends, and so on).

I have a BA in Political Science and never applied it in my business life. I worked in outside sales throughout college with the thought that I would eventually become a lawyer.

However, having that BA was necessary as it allowed me access to jobs that non college graduates did not. A lot of companies (rather stupidly) will not touch you if you do not have a degree regardless of your relevant experience level. I can remember in college being turned down for an outsides job with LA Cellular because I did not have a degree. Why you needed a degree in Political Science to sell cell phones to small businesses still eludes me to this day...but that is the reality of the marketplace.

The first job out of college was in Litigation Support Sales, where I was "educated". I wanted to view the legal process and how law firms work from the inside before committing the time and financial resources to law school. I was fortunate that they had a really comprehensive sales and process training in place plus that combined with on the job experience became the bedrock of all the principles that I still use today in running my own businesses 15 years later. I also discovered I did not have the temperament to be a lawyer....being stuck behind a desk would have killed me.

I agree for certain disciplines like medicine, engineering higher education is critical.

For me, the BA was a necessary vehicle that allowed me access to the training I would need to eventually run my own businesses.

Plus college was a blast where I made life long friends.

I cannot agree with the above enough.... HAPPINESS AND WEALTH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER....

Once one has enough money for the basic necessities of life, (its hard to be happy living in a pool of mud, waiting for the slow cold death of starvation to overtake you) money is completely irrelevant to happiness... Happy people will be happy with $100 in the bank, and Unhappy people will be unhappy with $100 million.

I had both sides of the coin in my experience. I went to Washington State for my BA, and it was what most have already said. I felt that there was nothing I was being taught that I couldn't just read in a book. And I was working like a dog to keep from going into debt. But then (never have been sure what sparked it) I thought that I had more or less wasted all that time there. So I decided to do what I always wanted, car design. But it is very difficult to get work without the schooling. After some research, found some schools, applied, got in, packed up, moved to Italy. And looking back it all felt that fast. And it was by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. I learned so much about the world and myself in my two years there. Learned 2 languages, made great friends from all over the world, and traveled all over. And on the school end of things, I was learning so much, from professors that were currently or retired designers. And because of my hard work I have my Masters in a field I truly love, and only 20g in student loans. Not to mention thats where I met my wife :drunk:

The way I always think of it is that rich and wealth are two different terms really. One can be rich (family, friends, fulfilling career) and not wealthy and one can be very wealthy (say net worth $100 million plus) and not rich at all (no family, friends, etc...).

Sounds like you want a job and accept debt.

And yes, I am 18 and yes that is what I want. Bust your ass for several years now and enjoy it the rest of your life. Or bust your ass for your whole life and enjoy it for a few years. Your choice.

Would like PHXMJ to bump in here.

Where do you want to bust your ass, if I am right you already have a little business going on? Of course that's good but not everyone is capable of doing that or doing something he thinks he's good at.

It's not easy to start a business, certainly not in Europe. The climate and support you get from the government is totally different than the US. It's important to have a degree because you can, for example, show your bank you are capable of doing something (showing what you are good at) and getting the loan you need to start up your business. A degree is of course no guarantee for succes but it helps you progress.

And where I live education is practical free, it's impossible to be in debt.

idk lamborghinis cost money.

joke

Though i'm not rich toys are great but i dont think they could keep me nearly as happy as the people in my life, my life in general keeps me (that last part sounds weird i know)

Look at average college graduate income vs. average non-graduate income for the entire US population. For every rich guy who didn't go to college, there are probably 1000 others who make less than $40k a year.

If you have a good idea, wealth will follow regardless of if you went to school. If you don't have a good idea, well then you'd have to be a fool to argue against a degree.

Beside, education should be a quest for knowledge, not wealth.

This is true, with the proviso that a good idea is useless w/o the vision, drive, hustle, perseverance and some START UP $$$ to back it up.

I majored in philosophy, got my BA back in 1980, today I own/run a successful business. Without a doubt, it requires less brain power to operate the business, than it does to understand even one chapter of some of the denser material I studied.... for a thorough mind fcuk, try reading/comprehending Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, you could spend years studying that book...

Today, higher education basically involves job training, many grads I talk to are well versed in their specialized fields, but usually ignorant about literature, art, history, the cultural patrimony handed down by those who came before them. I am glad I took a stab at absorbing a little of it before I settled down to the grind of making a buck. Believe me, a well rounded education has its own intrinsic value, and can help enrich your life.

Where do you want to bust your ass, if I am right you already have a little business going on? Of course that's good but not everyone is capable of doing that or doing something he thinks he's good at.

It's not easy to start a business, certainly not in Europe. The climate and support you get from the government is totally different than the US. It's important to have a degree because you can, for example, show your bank you are capable of doing something (showing what you are good at) and getting the loan you need to start up your business. A degree is of course no guarantee for succes but it helps you progress.

And where I live education is practical free, it's impossible to be in debt.

We're on opposite sides of the spectrum, all makes sense now :icon_thumleft: