Was school worth it? Did you even go?

gallardo23

I think you are wrong, our situations are different so you can't compare.

Or do you mean because I live in Europe and you in the USA and that's the reason it's different?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are wrong, our situations are different so you can't compare.

Or do you mean because I live in Europe and you in the USA and that's the reason it's different?

Yes :lol2: I am agreeing our situations are way different and I am no longer comparing

My clients ask to see examples of my work, not my degree. That pretty much sums it up for me. Nobody has ever asked me about my education in my professional live, ever. If education comes up, they always end up being far more impressed by my story than they would have been by "Yeah, I have a BA in blah blah from blah blah university." Anyone who tells you college is essential to succeed is lying or uninformed. It is simply a way to get your foot in the door if you aren't ready to shove your foot in the door and kick it open.

One thing I will disagree with is the education being the same at good schools and crappy schools. When I watched the classes at Yale, you really have to think to keep up, your brain keeps moving and it is not nearly the same as being bored to tears at a state school. (Although some classes will be similar simply because of the rigid subject matter)

http://oyc.yale.edu/courselist

Having money is not happiness, but the human nature to always want more and the abhorrent feel of always needing to work a crappy job to have a lifestyle should weigh in for something - otherwise there wouldn't be miserable people at jobs they hate as a byproduct. Or do you disagree?

Even though i do nothing with my degree, I was lucky enough to have parents that paid for it all. In the end, the experiences I had, friends I made, and Connections I gained made it the smartest decision I could have made....

While I believe 100% in further education, you also need to keep things in perspective.

I Got this from another forum and thought it was fitting for this thread. Vic

Destination:

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family. The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, play the guitar, and sing a few songs .... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard, and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the Mexican.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City ! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Mexican.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings doing what you like and enjoying your friends."

Know where you're going in life ... You may already be there….

My clients ask to see examples of my work, not my degree.

Thats pretty much true once you get past the first few years of a career.... But getting thr foot in the door without the DIPLOMA can be difficult....

While I believe 100% in further education, you also need to keep things in perspective.

I Got this from another forum and thought it was fitting for this thread. Vic

Destination:

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family. The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, play the guitar, and sing a few songs .... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard, and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the Mexican.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City ! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Mexican.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings doing what you like and enjoying your friends."

Know where you're going in life ... You may already be there….

Wow Great story!!

Went to college right after high school for engineering. Got hired right after and got my masters doing a one year program every other weekend and work paid for it. So I gained two years of "experience" while working full time and making money. I couldn't have been more fortunate

Went to college right after high school for engineering. Got hired right after and got my masters doing a one year program every other weekend and work paid for it. So I gained two years of "experience" while working full time and making money. I couldn't have been more fortunate

Finishing up a five year Computer Science Program. I have a web development job lined up. They have allowed me to work four days a week and condense my hours in order to expand my businesses. One business has nothing to do with my schooling, and the second has been helped by my schooling.

Since one is a tech business, being in Computer Science has put an ease on peoples minds about me going through their computers and about what I say, whether it's good or not, I don't know, but I do know what I'm talking about when it's about hardware, software or even both as a whole.

But school gained me more contacts than anything in the long run, especially if i focus on the three or four other projects I have lined up that are waiting for me to graduate but definitely in the long run it is worth it, as I am okay should i lose everything as I still have a degree, and that could allow me to go back for my masters if I like or even get a decent computer job in the future. Programming is all the same, just different syntaxes.

In the future, my schooling might play less of an issue if all goes well, but right now it's definitely boosted me enough to get me started, doesn't even matter what the degree is, they see it and they like it. Match that with the right set of skills and usually they're good with it.

I went to see a speaker named Gordon Lidy when I was in college. He said to get as much of a education as you could. It was the one thing nobody could take away from him in prison.

I went to see a speaker named Gordon Lidy when I was in college. He said to get as much of a education as you could. It was the one thing nobody could take away from him in prison.

:icon_pidu:

I havn't read every single post on here, so the folllowing might be reduntant:

From what I've gathered the demographic of members on this forum is very different from the rest of the word. There is a high concentration of young self made people here for which a 4 or 6 year block of university study may have been irrelavent. Overall a few years of university study is not going to lessen your chances of making it, but might lessen your chances of making it by age 30. A mixture of real world an academic learning and networking is best.

I tried uni straight out of school, tried 3 diffeent degrees, stopped, worked, started own biz to try and make it early in life, it didn't work but i learned a shitload, now taking a step back and am going back to uni!

I'll add that going to and dropping out of uni after a couple of years is much different than not going at all, still learn a lot about yourself and other things.

One thing I will disagree with is the education being the same at good schools and crappy schools. When I watched the classes at Yale, you really have to think to keep up, your brain keeps moving and it is not nearly the same as being bored to tears at a state school. (Although some classes will be similar simply because of the rigid subject matter)

http://oyc.yale.edu/courselist

Having money is not happiness, but the human nature to always want more and the abhorrent feel of always needing to work a crappy job to have a lifestyle should weigh in for something - otherwise there wouldn't be miserable people at jobs they hate as a byproduct. Or do you disagree?

As for Yale vs average school, yeah. I mean, algebra is algebra and basic stuff is basic stuff. In those fundamental cases, it's more about how the teacher is able to convey and build that foundation in you. And I still think better schools will do that better because the teachers are probably better at it.

I won't deny that being unhappy with $1MM is better than being unhappy with $10 and a job you hate. I think the real benefit of money in that sense is maybe a little bit of peace of mind. I will disagree that it's human nature to want more in terms of a materialistic lifestyle. I had this conversation with someone lately. After some thought I said that there are two ways to go about it; being content and happy in the pursuit of more in life, or pursuing the feeling of being content and happy in life. I really do think that the first one is the way to go about it, though it's not always that easy. I know for a fact that there are a lot of people who want my life, but just can't afford it. I also know that I want their life, but that it's not for sale. They always offer to trade, so maybe I should take someone up on it for a change ;)

Grass is always greener on the other side.

As for Yale vs average school, yeah. I mean, algebra is algebra and basic stuff is basic stuff. In those fundamental cases, it's more about how the teacher is able to convey and build that foundation in you. And I still think better schools will do that better because the teachers are probably better at it.

I won't deny that being unhappy with $1MM is better than being unhappy with $10 and a job you hate. I think the real benefit of money in that sense is maybe a little bit of peace of mind. I will disagree that it's human nature to want more in terms of a materialistic lifestyle. I had this conversation with someone lately. After some thought I said that there are two ways to go about it; being content and happy in the pursuit of more in life, or pursuing the feeling of being content and happy in life. I really do think that the first one is the way to go about it, though it's not always that easy. I know for a fact that there are a lot of people who want my life, but just can't afford it. I also know that I want their life, but that it's not for sale. They always offer to trade, so maybe I should take someone up on it for a change ;)

Grass is always greener on the other side.

From what you have written it seems you are somewhat depressed? Or maybe thats a bit extreme, you seem to be in a blue area in your life? Don't mean to offend you in anyway btw

Anyways back on topic

I do not have time to read the 3-4 pages of posts but the topic is important so I will put in my two cents.

I was fortunate to have parents that made me go to a university. I did well in high school but was not an academic person. I had to focus to get good grades.

I was fortunate enough to get into a university (ASU) and did four years, no summer school (which is hard to do with the social activities in AZ at the time and having 80 fraternity brothers always wanting to chase women, play volleyball or fly to Vegas round trip for only $46 (depart phx 9 pm back at 5 am to catch a 8:40 AM class…was a weekly event sometimes).

What I learned academically: The four years made me more proficient at studying, time management, writing papers, and overall knowledge gained on an academic level.

What I learned socially (just as important I think in communicating with people in general): Learning of other people’s experience in other parts of the US, able to communicate better in social settings, a lot of sex with tons of hot women – campus was crazy/sororities where crazy, and becoming more of a true gentleman in growing with some great people that are still in my life.

The SOCIAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCES ABOVE ARE PRICELESS…

It is easy for me now being 39 years of age, owning my third business since 2000 and extremely happy where I am to look back and say that the four years of college made me who I am today.

Is it possible for me to be where I am today without college? Maybe, but when I got my first job they required a college education…this got me into sales, then moved into sales management role, that then moved me to an Associate District Manager role that then made me wonder why I am making the corporation so much money and this finally made me focus on what business I can do on my own so I reap all the rewards…but with great risk in starting my own business.

Also on a business owner note – I have hired a lot of people and the ones with an education are more determined, more focused and more thorough. Note on my labor guys – the ones doing the installations, more labor intensive jobs - a noticeable difference in how they handle customers, etc. Some guys that are young will always be grunts and some will have team lead potential…the team lead potential are always the ones that have the education.

Many people have told me that they wish they went to or finished college…I do not think I have ever been told by someone that they wish they never bothered with college…

Got to college, get a degree..that is my personal suggestion. This site is most likely filled with people that made it without an education and God Bless them…but realize this is a rarity in life.

From what you have written it seems you are somewhat depressed? Or maybe thats a bit extreme, you seem to be in a blue area in your life? Don't mean to offend you in anyway btw

Anyways back on topic

Completely depressed actually, but fortunately I can still laugh about it.

Can't you take some time off or do something different in life?

Can't you take some time off or do something different in life?

Well, I'm not about to pour my life out onto a message board. I'll just say this: I'm young, rich, and have 24 hours a day free to be anywhere and do just about anything that I've ever wanted to do. Been in a rut for the last 5 months and it's partially related to a woman, partially to my life in general.

And unfortunately not even a Bugatti Gransport (if I could afford one,) could fix this ;) Though if anyone wants to donate one just in case it would fix things, I'll give it a shot.

I think I derailed this thread by seeing so many wealth comments.

Back to education!

Buy the V10, a V8 gets depressing quite fast :icon_butt:

If you want to see how life really can suck, check my thread in the OT forum, I'm still there but slowly climbing back up, I think/pray/hope.

My parents were very poor while I was growing up, so the idea of "not" going to college was never an option for me. I had been told since I was little just how many doors would open for me upon having a degree, as neither of my parents had one and both of them wanted my twin sister and I to do "better" in life. (Although my Father was an Entrepreneur, he was unfortunately very unsuccesful at it for most of his life, so a college degree became a "Safety net" for him that he spent years wishing he had). College was pushed into my psyche as an investment in myself that would be "priceless", and I am thankful to this day that my parents pushed it as hard as they did.

I started college right after high school, and was persuaded to go to a private school that my Father coached wrestling at (this was a very expensive school, so I could not have gone there without the discounts he was able to get me on tuition). I busted my asss, and finished a double major in Business Marketing and Business Management over a very quick four years. The summer after I graduated, I was very fortunate to be selected for a very coveted spot in an Intern Program in the US Department of Defense. I was hired 2 months after graduation, and recieved my second stroke of luck within my first week on the job, when I discovered that a Masters Degree would be paid for 100% on the Governments dime if I wanted to go. I quickly (that night actually) enrolled in the Graduate program I had been eyeing since my undergraduate commencment only 3 months earlier, and started one week later. 18 months later, I graduated with a tripple concentration MBA in Management, Marketing, and Finance. Thanks to the Tuition break my Dad secured me and that program in the DoD which covered my MBA, my total loans for those 6 years of higher education came to a measly $17,100. To say I am fortunate is an understatment.

Now, there are obviously people here who have done INCREDIBLE things for themselves, who never stepped foot in a college class. However, I personally wouldnt pass up those 4 years of Undergrad for the world. The friends I made, the Professors I learned life lessons from, the networking web that was enabled, the experiences with many, many different girls over those years, and the fun I had with my Fraternity are worth their weight in gold to me. :)

At 27 now, could I have done things differently and perhaps be driving a Lambo already? Definitely. So I definitely understand the different paths people take and why every experience is different. But to me, college was not just about the degree, but about the life experiences and networking that followed that will be with me the rest of my life. :)

As someone before me said, I know ALOT of people that regret NOT going to college, or WISH that they had the opportunity to go now. I dont know anyone, wealthy and successful included, who could tell me they regret going.

Well, I'm not about to pour my life out onto a message board. I'll just say this: I'm young, rich, and have 24 hours a day free to be anywhere and do just about anything that I've ever wanted to do. Been in a rut for the last 5 months and it's partially related to a woman, partially to my life in general.

And unfortunately not even a Bugatti Gransport (if I could afford one,) could fix this ;) Though if anyone wants to donate one just in case it would fix things, I'll give it a shot.

I think I derailed this thread by seeing so many wealth comments.

Back to education!

you sound like a bitch, if your not happy being young, rich and having 24 hours a day free to be anywhere and do anything honestly just invest in a gun and blow your brains out.