an "Accident waiting to happen" Just happened

rakjoe

"You take your victims as you find them."

Here is a hypothetical dilemma, what if both drivers were drunk as skunks and one of them dies, does it effect the criminal responsibility of the surviving driver?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a hypothetical dilemma, what if both drivers were drunk as skunks and one of them dies, does it effect the criminal responsibility of the surviving driver?

Makes no difference if the other driver was intoxicated in this case. (the wrong way on the 91 freeway).

Again, It would probably have some impact on a CIVIL judgment.... But in criminal law (and I hate to use this phrase) "two wrongs dont make a right." The criminal law doesnt care if the victim is mother Teresa of calcutta or Guido the serial killer Pimp.... Its only concerned with the actions of the DEFENDANT.

To better answer the question, I think youre getting at, try this one on for size....

Assume all of the below is proven fact:

Drunk driver #1 is sitting at a red light waiting for the light to change.

Drunk Driver #2 comes flying up the road behind him, doesn't see the red light (or the other vehicle for that matter) and rear ends #1 killing the passenger in #2s car.

What result?

Drunk Driver #1 is guilty of DUI and nothing more..... His actions (or his intoxication) had NOTHING TO DO with the accident. He just happened to be the object that she hit, and he happened to be drunk.... But neither have anything to do with the accident....

Drunk Driver #2 is guilty of murder.

to bad the other family was to stuipd to put on thier seatbelts. She was the only one that did.

Should they have been wearing there seatbelts? sure.

But it wouldn't have been an issue in this specific case if someone wasn't drunk driving...

Everyone keeps saying how could she NOT notice....

What you guys fail to think of, is the fact that when she got in the car and FINALLY sat down, in the car after a full night of partying, and being beyond hammered (which of course she wouldnt be thinking straight), that once she got on the freeway, she probably passed out, with her foot on the gas.

I had a situation on the Freeway in college, coming from Glendale,AZ on the 10, for you Phoenix guys. On my way back to the ASU campus, It was about 3am, and I noticed something that looked like a shadow in the middle of the freeway and tailights ahead were swerving, it was hard to tell if it was the other side of the freeway or not, until about 40yards I saw it... a pick-up truck in my lane coming at me. The thing was ,with his headlights NOT on, and mine shining on the truck, I could make out the shape of a man's body slumped over leaning as if asleep. I swerved and stopped and the truck hit head-on with an 18 wheeler that was next to me, I will NEVER forget that moment...

What you guys fail to think of, is the fact that when she got in the car and FINALLY sat down, in the car after a full night of partying, and being beyond hammered (which of course she wouldnt be thinking straight), that once she got on the freeway, she probably passed out, with her foot on the gas.

I had a situation on the Freeway in college, coming from Glendale,AZ on the 10, for you Phoenix guys. On my way back to the ASU campus, It was about 3am, and I noticed something that looked like a shadow in the middle of the freeway and tailights ahead were swerving, it was hard to tell if it was the other side of the freeway or not, until about 40yards I saw it... a pick-up truck in my lane coming at me. The thing was ,with his headlights NOT on, and mine shining on the truck, I could make out the shape of a man's body slumped over leaning as if asleep. I swerved and stopped and the truck hit head-on with an 18 wheeler that was next to me, I will NEVER forget that moment...

Wow, that's scary on the 10. I couldn't imagine what that would end up looking like. Good thing it didn't run into you.

Funny thing is when a drunk gets on the wrong side of the freeway he immediately finds himself in the "Left lane" and tries to shift lanes to the right lane which is the real fast lane...of oncoming traffic.. :shock:

not a whole lot of innocent until proven guilty going on these days I guess.

Innocent until proven guilty is the legal standard in a court of law....

You will notice, this is not "Orangecountymunicpalcourt.gov". Its Lambo-power.com.

We are not under the rules of self inflicted blindness that the judicial system has to be to function correctly.

Nothing we say here will have any effect on whether this young lady will be incarcerated or not. That will be up to: 1. the Orange County district attorney (Tony Rackauckas) who will decide if there is enough evidence to proceed with a prosecution, 2. The Orange County Grand Jury who will decide if he has produced enough evidence to warrant an indictment, 3. a criminal jury who will decide if she is in fact guilty, and 4. a Judge who will impose sentence.

So yes, I would ask that Tony Rackauckas, members of the Orange County grand jury, and any orange county criminal court Judges refrain from posting in this thread. By no means is that a requirement.... If any of these people are members here (and I know of at least one who is) if you chose to violate your oaths, that's on you and your conscience... Its really none of my business...

The rest of us are free to discuss the incident and pass any judgments we want.

Was she drunk driving on the wrong side of the road? I dont know.... I havent discussed it with the witnesses, CHP, or accident reconstruction experts..... However, that is what was reported, and for the sake of discussion, I will assume its correct.

And if so, fcuk HER INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

So yes, I would ask that Tony Rackauckas, members of the Orange County grand jury, and any orange county criminal court Judges refrain from posting in this thread.

Haha... we are contaminating the O.C jury pool...

DISCLAIMER: if you are from the O.C and NOT a lawyer don't read this thread.. :thefinger:

Haha... we are contaminating the O.C jury pool...

DISCLAIMER: if you are from the O.C and NOT a lawyer don't read this thread.. :thefinger:

And even if you ARE from OC, and a potential juror, in the unlikely event you are voir dired for this particular case, simply answer truthfully....

That some dipshit on Lambo-power.com named romandad thinks shes guilty.

:eusa_think:

And even if you ARE from OC, and a potential juror, in the unlikely event you are voir dired for this particular case, simply answer truthfully....

That some dipshit on Lambo-power.com named romandad thinks shes guilty.

Hey, her lawyer can always claim it was a Cal trans worker who misdirected her to take a detour that led her to the wrong freeway ramp and she drank Vodka that she thought was water since it was in a water bottle.

About 5 years ago.... Im coming back from Vegas.... Driving over the Cajon pass (Very dangerous stretch of highway through the mountains of southern california).

The guy in front of me is swerving all over the fcuking place..... I get a chance to pass him.... I pull up next to him....

Older guy.... 50-60 or so.... Head COMPLETELY BACK (eyes closed and aimed at the ceiling, jaw open, adam's apple extended) and hes fcuking asleep.

He would wake up for periods of time then go right back out.... And what was really scary, at some points he was going 90MPH+.... DOWN fcuking HILL.

:eusa_think:

Hey, her lawyer can always claim it was a Cal trans worker who misdirected her to take a detour that led her to the wrong freeway ramp and she drank Vodka that she thought was water since it was in a water bottle.

Yeah..... Let me know how that works out for her....

Yeah..... Let me know how that works out for her....

I'm just saying, some creative lawyering is in order in this case..

I think this one case when she is GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INOCENT... :icon_thumleft:

She got all the way over to the HOV lanes..... fcuk!

Wrong-way driver faces DUI charge after fatal crash

Two people killed in early morning crash on 91 freeway.

By JON CASSIDY

The Orange County Register

Comments 306 | Recommend 28

ANAHEIM – A wrong-way driver on the 91 freeway caused a head-on collision early Monday morning that killed two people.

The driver, 21-year-old Jessica Shekell of Fullerton, is suspected of drunken driving, authorities said.

Shekell’s 2003 Toyota Tacoma was going west in the eastbound FasTrak lanes of the 91 freeway when it crashed into a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado just east of the 55 freeway around 3 a.m., killing two members of the Miguel family of San Bernardino, said Officer Denise Quesada of California Highway Patrol.

The Silverado's driver, Sally Miguel, 44, was pronounced dead at the scene, and Patricia Miguel, 30, who was riding in the front seat, died after she was taken to Western Medical Center in Santa Ana.

Their two nieces, ages 15 and 11, were taken to Western Medical Center and UCI Medical Center in Orange for treatment of their injuries. The 11-year-old’s injuries were described as major, and her sister’s injuries described as moderate.

Of the five people in the accident, Shekell was the only one wearing a seatbelt, the CHP reported.

Shekell, the driver of the Tacoma, was taken to UCI Medical Center. She faces charges for driving under the influence, Quesada said.

Shekell is a first-semester sociology major at Cal State Fullerton, according to the Daily .

CHP dispatchers received a report of a wrong-way driver at 2:56 a.m., and six minutes later, had to dispatch ambulances to the location.

The eastbound FasTrak lanes were closed until 5:45 a.m.

Two flatbed evidence tow trucks were sent to haul off the vehicles in the accident.

She got all the way over to the HOV lanes..... fcuk!

Funny thing is when a drunk gets on the wrong side of the freeway he immediately finds himself in the "Left lane" and tries to shift lanes to the right lane which is the real fast lane...of oncoming traffic..

I just guessed it... lol

as far as she was concerned she was ok by driving the "slow" lane.. :eusa_wall:

Guys

Did you read the people in the silverado weren't wearing their seatbelts...

just saying

I love people who post without reading the thread first... :tyson:

Guys

Did you read the people in the silverado weren't wearing their seatbelts...

just saying

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that she was drunk and driving in the wrong lane and smashed head on into them.

Wow, that's scary on the 10. I couldn't imagine what that would end up looking like. Good thing it didn't run into you.

I guess I was paying attention to the road ahead (I like driving), and was VERY blessed, I just reacted and pulled over immediately.

Well, what it looked like??? THIS IS NO BULLSHIT, I REMEMBER IT LIKE YESTERDAY, this is one of the few times I've actually spoken at length about it, in 16 years. Took me 2 years afterward to tell my mother it even happened, (it would've scared her to death, being that they lived in CA not being close). As a matter of fact, I don't think I've even mentioned it to my wife. Not something you really talk about I guess.

The pick-up was literally split in half (like a sledge hammer through the point-end of a watermelon), one half of it almost slammed into my car, and landed about 10 feet away from me from 20 feet in the air. The driver's body was a mangled mess that was launched about 100feet away, really!!! It took the cops about 2-3min to find it. (mind you I don't remember seeing a whole body), just the head, some torso included connected to the head and tossed about like a "raggedy-Ann doll" I didnt see legs (not like I looked hard though). It looked surreal, like those Halloween dolls with a head and the body section is just a ghostly sheet with no substance under it. Not much blood (again I didn't look long though) so it was almost like I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The whole lower half of the "Big-Rig" cab was taken out, suspension, axle everything, just meshed with what was left of the pick-up, and it was slumped forward, the drivers section hanging delicately over thin air. The "big-rig" driver jumped out when everything stopped moving and sliding on the concrete; opened his door, got out and started sprinting his ass-off the freeway away from me (he was fine, not hurt) but I was wondering why he was "hightailin' it" outta there so fast (my 1st thought was, he was fleeing the scene)..........Until I looked back at the rig, and gasoline was pouring out of the side tanks, like a fuckin' waterfall. Then the 2nd phase of panic hit me.

Being in the middle divider on the 10 in Phoenix is like being trapped against a wall and you can't really climb it to go to the oncoming traffic side (at least where I was), and the only way out, was to pass right by the truck to get to the right side of the freeway. And this is a 6-7 lane freeway and cars were screeching and sliding sideways bumping into each other everywhere. My only choice was to get back in the car and pray that thing doesn't go up like Chernobl 50 feet away... It didn't........ HP and fire dept. got there really fast (I was surprised, 5-7min), they took my statement and I was on my way.

The MOST hideous thing that I to this day won't ever forget............Is the sound of the metal when 20 tons made impact together at a combined 140MPH... Movies can try to fabricate the sound with digital wizardry, like "Transformers" and shit, but they're not even close. I pray that I NEVER hear a sound like that again...............................

About 5 years ago.... Im coming back from Vegas.... Driving over the Cajon pass (Very dangerous stretch of highway through the mountains of southern california).

The guy in front of me is swerving all over the fcuking place..... I get a chance to pass him.... I pull up next to him....

Older guy.... 50-60 or so.... Head COMPLETELY BACK (eyes closed and aimed at the ceiling, jaw open, adam's apple extended) and hes fcuking asleep.

He would wake up for periods of time then go right back out.... And what was really scary, at some points he was going 90MPH+.... DOWN fcuking HILL.

Yeah, that's why I think she passed out asleep. OUT....As is the case with most head on collisions. Someone isn't paying attention, unless its a one lane two way and there's nowhere to go...

It's so easy, think about it, finally in a quiet environment, sitting in a comfortable chair in a spot that she's familiar with, and fcuking plastered beyond belief, and it almost 4am........tired, drunk....DONE

I love people who post without reading the thread first... :tyson:

I posted this at the start, seriously rakjoe please.

I couldn't care less.

Not wearing your seatbelts is dumb too.

I posted this at the start, seriously rakjoe please.

I couldn't care less.

Not wearing your seatbelts is dumb too.

Youre absolutely right..... They should have been wearing their seatbelts....

Ill be sure that the Orange County sheriff pins the "failure to wear a seatbelt" ticket to their shirts before the caskets are closed.

I wouldnt hold my breath on them paying the $75 fine.

The reason that the drunks usually survive major crashes that kill the innocents is because their muscles are loose and the whole body is like a jelly... :icon_pidu:

Brain turns to jelly too, which not only increases the odds of getting into an accident but also improves the odds of surviving the resulting traumatic head injury....

http://www.livescience.com/health/etc/0909...ain-injury.html

It happens. Bitches shouldnt drive cars when drunk.

A friend a mine at this party this past weekend just got drunk and I watched her hit a car that was trying to leave the parking space. She hit the car and booked it. So stupid.

Why drink and drive?