Need help for my wife's birthday present....

Benkei

My wife's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her a Birkin handbag from Hermes. The only problem is that there is a wait list for these bags, about 1 to 2 years and/or you need to know someone in the stores that will sell it to you if they have them in stock.

Does anyone have any connections in San Diego, L.A., Las Vegas or any other Hermes boutiques that could help me get one? :)

Thanks!

"The waiting list" is really a marketing thing, you just need to play their game if you want it last minute. You might find the article below useful.

"However, HuffPost blogger Michael Tonello uncovers the mystery behind the Birkin and in the fashion equivalent of a tell-all book called Bringing Home The Birkin shows the masses of the world how they, too, can by-pass the marketing-ploy waiting list.

How did he do it?

"I would go into a store with a list in my Hermes Ulysse notebook and pile up scarves, shawls, bracelets, worth about $2,000. This made me seem a regular Hermes client," Tonello told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"Once I had that pile ready to buy at the last moment I'd ask for a Birkin and they would usually produce one of the back room. In 2005 I bought 130 Birkins in a three-month period -- and you tell me there is a waiting list?"

So there you have it. The one-step, one-stop shop guide to buying a Birkin. Do, however, learn from his mistakes and don't buy too many, too quickly:

"In the store in Paris I went in maybe once too often and they checked the computer and discovered how many bags I had bought. They sent me a fax saying essentially they would no longer sell me any bags."

"I would go into a store with a list in my Hermes Ulysse notebook and pile up scarves, shawls, bracelets, worth about $2,000. This made me seem a regular Hermes client," Tonello told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"Once I had that pile ready to buy at the last moment I'd ask for a Birkin and they would usually produce one of the back room. In 2005 I bought 130 Birkins in a three-month period -- and you tell me there is a waiting list?"

Only problem with that is if they really didn't have one in the back or didn't want to sell it to you, you would be stuck with $2,000 of crap you don't need :)

Yowzers.

I went on ebay to see what this Hermes Birkin handbag was all about and the first one listed is $77,000.

I don't think Benkei and I will be getting into a bidding war on this thing, since it's around $76K more than I can afford.

Guest skokos
70 grand for a fcuking purse, have these people gone mad?

:eusa_wall: :iamwithstupid:

Well it is Croc hide :rolleyes:

:iamwithstupid: worst is people are willing to pay for it..

i'd buy her a car for a bday present..rather then spending 70grand on a bag! thats nuts

:iamwithstupid:

Sorry, I don't care how much money you have sitting around, that's fcuking insane! :eusa_wall:

Only problem with that is if they really didn't have one in the back or didn't want to sell it to you, you would be stuck with $2,000 of crap you don't need :)

You take that shit back!

I hope there is gold on the buckles to be going for that price.

I'm real glad my wife is not asking for this.

They start around 5k, and depending on leather it can go to 30-50k. The ones with exotic skin hold value much better than cars in this price range. So if your wife really wants one and you can afford it, why not?

What you see on ebay include big markups for people who want it right away. Be careful with those. Although brands like Chanel and Hermes watch ebay aggressively and ask ebay to remove anything that looks suspicious, there are still fake ones made to look perfectly authentic.

If your wife has her mind set on it, walk in and get acquainted with a sales person right away. Let her know that you’ll be a regular and you need this in a hurry. They probably hear this from everyone. But some persistence and kind gestures always help. Let her know when you need it by. If she's a nice person, a bag might just turn up right before.

The croc one is really nice but in the end, the design is too simple.

I would get something else, more special and cheaper. Why buy a 10k purse if every celebrity has one.

If I was looking to drop 70k on a bag $2k would be the least of my concerns.

What you see on ebay include big markups for people who want it right away.

True.....just to be clear, I didn't say they were worth $70K. I just noticed a couple of ebay that had that price tag on them.

It seems that there are also Hermes bags in the $2K range etc but they aren't the 'Birkin' model, they are other models. The Birkin ones are the big dollar bags.

I can't for the life of me figure on how a handbag can be worth that, no matter which celebrity has one, but to each their own.

It depends what color you want. Every time I have walked into an Hermes store they have had at least 2 or 3 Birkins available to buy that day, but they won't be the exotic leathers or any of the rare colors that don't sell as often. If she wants white, black, camel or orange, just call a few boutiques around the country and you will probably get lucky.

It's like paying 8 dollars for a Hot Dog, who would do that? I don't care if you're the biggest millionaire to ever live, but sometimes you just have to recognize when you're being taken.

It's all relative and since Benkei has the cheddar to buy one it's his choice. Good luck man. Your wife is a lucky woman.