Need help for my wife's birthday present....

Benkei

Guest skokos
It's like paying 8 dollars for a Hot Dog, who would do that? I don't care if you're the biggest millionaire to ever live, but sometimes you just have to recognize when you're being taken.

BINGO

It's like paying 8 dollars for a Hot Dog, who would do that? I don't care if you're the biggest millionaire to ever live, but sometimes you just have to recognize when you're being taken.

The "biggest" millionaire on Earth would be worth $999,999,999 beyond that you become a billionaire :P :D I actually have a book on me right now that I got from the library called "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost It's Luster." It goes into much detail about this stuff, saying that most "luxury" products nowadays are nothing of the sort, they are just brands. They are not small, private companies devoted to craftsmanship, but big, public companies doing everything to enhance the profit. For example, you'll have expensive handbags that claim to be "Made in Italy," when in reality they're made in China on an assembly line and only the handle is made in Italy. The "Made in China" tag is even on the bag, but it is sewn to hide the tag inside the fabrics of the bag.

The "biggest" millionaire on Earth would be worth $999,999,999 beyond that you become a billionaire :P :D I actually have a book on me right now that I got from the library called "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost It's Luster." It goes into much detail about this stuff, saying that most "luxury" products nowadays are nothing of the sort, they are just brands. They are not small, private companies devoted to craftsmanship, but big, public companies doing everything to enhance the profit. For example, you'll have expensive handbags that claim to be "Made in Italy," when in reality they're made in China on an assembly line and only the handle is made in Italy. The "Made in China" tag is even on the bag, but it is sewn to hide the tag inside the fabrics of the bag.

:iamwithstupid:

I see these high end audio brands that made a name for themselves in the '80s and '90s and just ride on their coat tails, making products IMHO that are typically WORSE than what they used to make. It's not very hard in this arena to cut costs and fool the typical customer, enhancing profit along the way.

With enough brand recognition you can essentially sell any POS and get away with it. Sad, but true.

As far as these handbags are concerned, I hear mixed opinions on Louie V, Chanel, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, etc. Who knows which one is really the best in terms of craftsmanship, but certainly one of them is always the trendiest at any give point in time.

... and I thought I bought an overpriced purse when I got my girlfriend a 2k Jimmy Choo purse lol.

But admit it was a very good weekend to be had by all. :icon_mrgreen:

For example, you'll have expensive handbags that claim to be "Made in Italy," when in reality they're made in China on an assembly line and only the handle is made in Italy. The "Made in China" tag is even on the bag, but it is sewn to hide the tag inside the fabrics of the bag.

I encountered the same thing just last week...

Was looking at a sleek pair of shoes of myself which was priced a tat on the high side. Was about to make my purchase when the inner tag showed the Made in China label... I promptly placed the shoes back on the display panel and left the "Italian boutique" .

A waiting list for a purse? :lol2: Does it come with free bodyguard service for your lady when she walks around with these handbags?

without getting into to many details in relation to the Made in China issue, I know first hand if the chinese manufacturer owns a stake of 25% or greater in the company that owns the label (i.e.US company), they can attach Made in USA tags on goods that are manufactured in China for that particular market.

The scary thing is that last night after reading the post I went and asked my wife if she's ever heard of this ridiculously expensive Hermes bag, she said "Who hasn't??? am I getting one :icon_mrgreen: ?" :eusa_wall:

If anyone is looking for gifts, women or men, check out Icebreaker, one of the best companies on earth, great missions, and one of the best products in it's class.

I am not affiliated with them, I just know people swear by their stuff- I mean wool underwear that is comfortable!!?

The scary thing is that last night after reading the post I went and asked my wife if she's ever heard of this ridiculously expensive Hermes bag, she said "Who hasn't??? am I getting one :icon_mrgreen: ?" :eusa_wall:

:lol2:

i asked my sister the same question too..good thing her answer was different..she said "yeah its a famous brand..and you can't afford it"

Benkei, I have two Hermes stores near me, I can give them a call or go to the stores, although I don't look like a guy who will spend $70k on a bag and it's gonna be a pita to send it to you, too :)

Many times I've found "hard to find" stuff right here in Fashion Valley Mall (which is the ultra-lux center here in SD). The stores are usually stocked with the high demand merchandise, because demand just isnt the same in San Diego (for some reason). And people just overlook coming down here.

So, Just to give it a go, I called our Hermes here just now.

Here's TODAYS conversation. Hermes San Diego:

Girl answers"Thank you for calling Hermes Fashion Valley store",

Me, "you have any birkins in stock?"

Girl "Unfortunately sir we cannot give that type of information over the phone".

swil "ok, so I'd need to come in to find out?"

girl, "yesssssss".

swil "is it a 'GOOD' idea to come into the store to find out"

girl (lighter tone in her voice), "YESSSSSSSSSS SIRRRRRRR".

swil, "ookay, thank you........"

the girl gives a light giggle and hangs-up.

for what it's worth...

Many times I've found "hard to find" stuff right here in Fashion Valley Mall (which is the ultra-lux center here in SD). The stores are usually stocked with the high demand merchandise, because demand just isnt the same in San Diego (for some reason). And people just overlook coming down here.

So, Just to give it a go, I called our Hermes here just now.

Here's TODAYS conversation. Hermes San Diego:

Girl answers"Thank you for calling Hermes Fashion Valley store",

Me, "you have any birkins in stock?"

Girl "Unfortunately sir we cannot give that type of information over the phone".

swil "ok, so I'd need to come in to find out?"

girl, "yesssssss".

swil "is it a 'GOOD' idea to come into the store to find out"

girl (lighter tone in her voice), "YESSSSSSSSSS SIRRRRRRR".

swil, "ookay, thank you........"

the girl gives a light giggle and hangs-up.

for what it's worth...

What a bitch.

Benkei,

I will tell you what I know from experience as I had just experienced the same situation as you did.

The stores will not tell you what they have in inventory, the only way is to take a chance and show up at the stores. Although if you know someone on the inside, that might help as well.

Bearing that in mind, I was also told (when I arrived at one of the stores) that they typically get more of the Birkin bags around Xmas time, so your chances are better now. However, and I am sure this is part of the marketing hype for this bag, getting the exact one (size and color) that your wife wants may be quite the task. Typically you end up getting the one they have if you happen to be at the store on the "right" day because either you are tired of the chase or your wife is just gaga goo goo over even seeing one available.

I keep an open mind when approaching women's accessories. That market is...well you know...very well marketed. But I side with those who feel that regardless of the cost, if it is something that your partner in life wants, and you can comfortably afford it, then let her have her moment. It simply doesn't seem fair if the guy in the house can have a Lambo and yet, leaves his wife with an unsatisfied desire to have something she has always coveted. (By the way, I am referring to the less expensive $7~$8K bags, not the $70K+ shit).

To each their own on this call.

Good luck.

What a bitch.

I think you misunderstood the conversation. She was playful with the dialogue.

Benkei, I think San Diego has one.

I think you misunderstood the conversation. She was playful with the dialogue.

Benkei, I think San Diego has one.

Oh damn, lol, now I feel bad for calling her that.

My gf was on the waiting list for a $10-12k one for about 6 months. Once she picked it up, she said she was interested in a crocodile one and was told that there was a 2-year waiting list. Lo and behold, less than a few weeks pass by and she gets a call from the Hermes store saying that they happened to have one available because a customer canceled. She ended up buying it; it cost around $40-45k. To answer an earlier question posted in this thread, yes, the buckle is made out of solid gold.

My gf was on the waiting list for a $10-12k one for about 6 months. Once she picked it up, she said she was interested in a crocodile one and was told that there was a 2-year waiting list. Lo and behold, less than a few weeks pass by and she gets a call from the Hermes store saying that they happened to have one available because a customer canceled. She ended up buying it; it cost around $40-45k. To answer an earlier question posted in this thread, yes, the buckle is made out of solid gold.

I thought the buckle was made out of platinum.