2009 LP640 Roof

Benkei

I just noticed that my roof has dimples right on the edges above the doors. You have to get down at a certain angle to see them. They look like golf balls were dropped on the roof but you cannot feel the dimples when you run your hands along it.

There are also darker orange areas and lighter areas. I only saw these when we used some lighting systems to really bring out the imperfections. There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the paint except the roof.

There was also a huge variance in the thickness of the clear from 200 to almost 1000 microns across the roof. I have never had the car fully detailed or had paint correction done.

I have never left the car outside, have only 500 miles on the car and bought it brand new, picked it up in June. The exterior is arancio atlas.

Has anyone had a similar problems with their paint from the factory?

Do you think it can be taken care of with the factory warranty?

I think that would be a tough warranty issue to raise with a dealer. I can't imagine there is anything in a warranty stating paint thickness (like a normal range in microns). But it would be worth a shot to check into!

My old yellow murci car had a this defect and I put it down to people having trouble getting in and out but if you look at the video of the post below this one about the smoked tail lights at about 16 secs in you can see this car also has the dimple, will check my new car some time today.

Russell

the roof on a Murcie is very thin metal and can be dented suprisingly easy. be careful not to let anyone lean on your car or put elbows on the roof because this can cause the damage.

scot

That is the most likely answer. Someone, you or otherwise, probably leaned against it for a picture and left those dents. I have seen several cars with small dents in that exact place.

I just noticed that my roof has dimples right on the edges above the doors. You have to get down at a certain angle to see them. They look like golf balls were dropped on the roof but you cannot feel the dimples when you run your hands along it.

There are also darker orange areas and lighter areas. I only saw these when we used some lighting systems to really bring out the imperfections. There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the paint except the roof.

There was also a huge variance in the thickness of the clear from 200 to almost 1000 microns across the roof. I have never had the car fully detailed or had paint correction done.

I have never left the car outside, have only 500 miles on the car and bought it brand new, picked it up in June. The exterior is arancio atlas.

Has anyone had a similar problems with their paint from the factory?

Do you think it can be taken care of with the factory warranty?

My advice.......get a Carbon Fiber roof overlay!!!! It fixes the problem....and will look awesome!!

It is not from people leaning on the car. Example of how the car frame flexes and does that to the roof. Have you ever driven into a shopping center or someone's driveway and you have to take it at an angle to clear the front and you hear the frame creak a little, the car is flexing thus doing that to the roof. Pretty common but that is the worst it is ever going to get.

As for the paint - that is pretty normal unfortunately from the factory.

It is not from people leaning on the car. Example of how the car frame flexes and does that to the roof. Have you ever driven into a shopping center or someone's driveway and you have to take it at an angle to clear the front and you hear the frame creak a little, the car is flexing thus doing that to the roof. Pretty common but that is the worst it is ever going to get.

As for the paint - that is pretty normal unfortunately from the factory.

eeek... scary to hear. i also hear it's a great place to look for hidden 'stories' with cars... that with even subtle fender benders, you can find subtle creases or indentations in the roof area.

eeek... scary to hear. i also hear it's a great place to look for hidden 'stories' with cars... that with even subtle fender benders, you can find subtle creases or indentations in the roof area.

Can I get a few HQ photos of the exact spot? This is something I will take into account in the future.

Thanks

^^ Can't be his. He said he's never had the car detailed since his purchase in June & the car was bought new.

Yes i know thats what he said but unless you happen to have a Paint thickness gauge(PTG) laying around i doubt you would know what the clear coat thickness is on his roof, also if you look at the measurements taken by the PTG its almost exactly as he said 200-1000. Plus I know he has those exhaust tips painted black and is from Oregon so i figured there was a good chance.

Yes that is my car. I got it detailed the day I wrote my original post. I had noticed the dimples about a week or two before the full detail this weekend. My point was that I never had a full detail when I noticed the dimples.

After the full detail and paint correction, the dimples are still there. We couldn't get them to show up on the pictures. I'll try and take more pictures in the sunlight and see if they come show up.

• 1 year later...

this thread was linked in one of my threads.

I recently fixed these dents on a roof of an 10 LP670-4 SV. There were about 7-8 of them, may be more. I had to glue pull them since the owner did not want to mess with dropping the headliner.

2011-01-15103140.jpg

Chassis flex can not dents/ding this small on its own. it'll be huge waves if any. The only way a chassis flex can cause this is if there are braces running front to back under the roof with glue spots between them. Now when the chassis flexes, the roof gets pulled away from the brace, the glue spots pull back on the metal its glued to causing these dents. I can tell exactly why these happen if i get a look at the roof without the headliner.

this thread was linked in one of my threads.

I recently fixed these dents on a roof of an 10 LP670-4 SV. There were about 7-8 of them, may be more. I had to glue pull them since the owner did not want to mess with dropping the headliner.

2011-01-15103140.jpg

Chassis flex can not dents/ding this small on its own. it'll be huge waves if any. The only way a chassis flex can cause this is if there are braces running front to back under the roof with glue spots between them. Now when the chassis flexes, the roof gets pulled away from the brace, the glue spots pull back on the metal its glued to causing these dents. I can tell exactly why these happen if i get a look at the roof without the headliner.

If your theory about welded or glued bracing and flexing causing the dimples, and you managed to remove them from the top would this not suggest the glue or weld had broken?

Russell

6877:quote name='yellomurci' date='Jan 22 2011, 05:32 AM' post='805838']

If your theory about welded or glued bracing and flexing causing the dimples, and you managed to remove them from the top would this not suggest the glue or weld had broken?

Russell

Look at the roof (I SAID THE ROOF) on this one.

I had a transporter find the dimples on my Murci. He was thorough going over the car before loading it and he knew every common Murci problem area from years of experience. He said those dimples are very common in Murci's.

I did not break any glue on the inside. It was just simple glue pulling. The aluminum on the roofs is very soft and can be easily transformed into different shapes.

Its very hard to explain how metal works and moves, without working on it on a daily basis.

when i say glue pulling, i mean the way of doing PDR. what we do is we put hot glue on puck, just like those fix-a-dent repair kits, but these actually work.

All that does is brings the metal back up a little bit.

I think the only way to avoid getting these kinds of dents is if Lamborghini starts putting a continuous line of bonding glue between the roof and the brace instead of spots.

• 6 months later...

No Koop, you are wrong. I have owned a Diablo and a Murcie and I have never had someone try to grab the roof to get out. The dents are not even close to where you can grab from a seated position. This is definitely from flexing of the frame or per above of spot gluing. All Murcies that have the small imperfections are always in the same exact area.

Interesting about the spot glue...

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever been into a shopping mall or someone else's driveway, you must take a clear point of view before you hear the creak frame that the car is bent, so do the roof.

No Koop, you are wrong. I have owned a Diablo and a Murcie and I have never had someone try to grab the roof to get out. The dents are not even close to where you can grab from a seated position. This is definitely from flexing of the frame or per above of spot gluing. All Murcies that have the small imperfections are always in the same exact area.

Interesting about the spot glue...

I may be wrong, but that was the reasoning I was given by the mechanic here at the local lambo dealer. He said he's actually seen it happen when cars are transported by truck drivers who lean on the roofs or pull themselves out of the car - typically when in tight areas such as the back of a truck. Plus all of the dents I've seen are near the edge of the roof within grabbing distance. Again, I could be wrong and am curious to know if anyone has some concrete answers.